SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawn mower advice, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawn mower advice, please Login/Join 
SIG's 'n Surefires
Picture of M-11
posted
Time to replace the mower. Looking for something with electric start and enough self-propelled guts to get through zoysia. SWMBO likes to do the chore now and then, but has limited upper body strength. Approx 60x180' of mostly flat yard. Experienced based suggestions?

"Common sense is wisdom with its sleeves rolled up." -Kyle Farnsworth
"Freedom of Speech does not guarantee freedom from consequences." -Mike Rowe
"Democracies aren't overthrown, they're given away." -George Lucas

Posts: 6880 | Location: IL, due south of the Arch | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FiveFiveSixFan
posted Hide Post
I would take a look at the Toro Personal Pace mowers. I can't speak to the electric start option other than to say that I know it's available. However, I have had a pull-start Personal Pace for years and have found it to be extremely reliable.

Posts: 7301 | Registered: January 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most folks think it is hard to beat a Honda. Buy once, cry once.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
What Gene Hillman says...

Posts: 2303 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gene Hillman:

This is our experience. Do the maintenance and they go forever.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
My baby: Toro TimeMaster

I used a Honda HRX217HXA for about 7 years. It was a HELL of a mower. Always, and I mean always started on the first pull. I sold it to one of my employees, and he's been using it for about a year. Still no issues. It is a great machine. What it isn't though, is wide. 21" deck meant it took me about 2 hours to mow, weed-eat, and edge.

Last year, I decided I wanted some time back. I started looking for wider mowers, and the TimeMaster was the one that came out on top for many reasons. The new mower has cut my lawn time back to 1.5 hours. Not a lot of time, but it certainly feels like it on a busy weekend!

Not that you are in the market for a WIDE mower, but consider this me throwing in for Toro, Briggs & Stratton, and the Personal Pace System.

I have the electric start model, and it's worth the extra scratch. Even if it's nothing more than a pure luxury feature, it's still worth it. The deck, mower, drivetrain, etc., all perform very well. The Briggs engine is strong and quiet.

The Personal Pace system is extremely easy to get used to. I would dare say it's the best way to adjust mower speed. Really all you do is just walk. The mower will move as fast as you do. You don't have to suffer with a speed setting that is just a bit too fast or a bit too slow.

Bonus points: it leaves a better finish on the lawn than the Honda ever did.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I have heard many good things about Honda, but have used Toro for 50 years.

Posts: 5610 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The Toro will leave a nicer cut than the Honda. My 21" Toro is a pro model so it runs faster and so do I. It gets the work done.

The homeowner models have plastic wheels and drive gears (or at least they used you) so you may want to look at a pro model that will outlast anything out there.

Posts: 45331 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just bought a Toro personal pace although without the electric start. Starts every time on the first pull so far and the personal pace system is awesome.

Here's what I got:

https://www.toro.com/en/homeow...al-pace-3-in-1-20381

Toro is also offering $50 off on select models currently.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Wow! $943 for a PUSH mower. Eek

21" (53 cm) Heavy Duty Toro OHV Push (22289)

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:

Right there with you!
Honda makes great mowers.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of heisrizn
posted Hide Post
Husqvarna AWD?

Posts: 1549 | Location: Fayetteville, NC | Registered: April 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a toro personal pace. It worked good for a long time. Drive belt went out and seemed like a lot of money to have replaced.Probably should have bought one and did it myself, but went and bought a new Honda. Not the electric start, but that was the only one above the model I got. Strong mower, a little hard to start though.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Honda!!
My $225 Honda is going on 8 years and has never failed to start on the 1st pull.
Kept outside and if you have paid attention to my posts it seems to get borrowed without permission from time to time.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

This is our experience. Do the maintenance and they go forever.

Jim
Even without much maintenance they last a good long time.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
silence is acceptance
Picture of birddog1
posted Hide Post
Another vote for the Toro personal pace with the aluminum deck. I just bought my second one last year, it has a Honda engine. My first was still running great but I took it to my father in laws since I cut his grass too and I got tired of hauling it back and forth. My first one is 15 years old. All I do is change oil, spark plug and air filter as well as grease the wheels.

Posts: 2336 | Location: Massillon, OH | Registered: January 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by heisrizn:
Husqvarna AWD?

Junk

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Toro Super Recyler from an actual Toro dealer. $600 to $700.

These are the best mowers on the market under $1000. And they are built with heavy duty components so you can actually use them for 20 years, not like the 6 year throwaways at the big box stores.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I have enjoyed Honda for many years. I use a commercial grade Honda now, which never fails. Earlier I had a plastic deck consumer Honda with the self-propelled feature.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
I bought a 28 inch cut electric start Cub Cadet with independent turning front wheels last year. It has the self paced self propelled system. It has dual blades so you get a professional looking cut. Excellent mower if you don't mind dropping $800

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8505 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post