SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A question for those with martial arts weapons experience.
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Chris Orndorff, LDD

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A question for those with martial arts weapons experience. Login/Join 
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted
I'm not quite there yet, but a walking cane is in my future. There's on line and DVD instruction available in the defensive use of a cane, but I'm wondering if I should be looking for personal instruction. Don't see mention that type training in the local MA advertising.
If I have to go the video route, whose instruction would you recommend?

Posts: 3597 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
someone on this board posted a link to "cane fu" or "canemasters". It was specialty canes and I think had some links to training maybe..

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 2662 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Report This Post
Picture of just1tym
posted Hide Post
In my MA school we were trained in the 6'/4'staff, jo stick, and cane among other common weapons. There's some very good techniques with the cane for blocking, striking, and very effective take downs and joint locks. It's a very effective weapon and easy to use with some good training.

Regards, Will G.

Posts: 7250 | Location: 140 mi to Margaritaville | Registered: January 02, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If you're looking for local training check out some Hapkido schools. Hapkido has some cane self-defense techniques/applications.

For instructional videos, Michael Janich usually comes highly rated. He has a video on using a cane for self defense. That might be worth looking into.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts." Sherlock Holmes

Posts: 709 | Registered: February 26, 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SBrooks:
someone on this board posted a link to "cane fu" or "canemasters". It was specialty canes and I think had some links to training maybe..

It wasn't me, but here is a link:

http://www.canemasters.com/ind...74_63&products_id=78

Posts: 1026 | Location: Norfolk, VA | Registered: June 09, 2012Report This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Find someone local definitely. Took staff as a kid and my instructor could F someone up royally with one, quickly disabling a gun or knife wielding assailant, AND taking his legs out. So fast you'd need to record it and watch it in slo mo. Nunchaku also. Some canes are built with a nice spear built in like a sheath. Two for one.

You lousy corksuckers, you have violated my fargin rights.

Posts: 7830 | Registered: January 16, 2010Report This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Find someone local definitely. Took staff as a kid and my instructor could F someone up royally with one, quickly disabling a gun or knife wielding assailant, AND taking his legs out. So fast you'd need to record it and watch it in slo mo. Nunchaku also. Some canes are built with a nice spear built in like a sheath. Two for one.

AIR, nunchuks are illegal in several jurisdictions, Virginia among them.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 22037 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Report This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Hapkido has cane techniques in the syllabus/curriculum, as previously mentioned.

Some HKD master have their own style and skills to add; a cane seminar would be best for tips, as most HKD schools will require one to take the entire curriculum.

For the cane to work effectively, the handle has to have particular curve and there is a litany to be found online, discussions on what works best.

Depending on your ability and the time spent learning, the need to block or lock a wrist, throw and disable, may not always present itself in convenient situations, unless the opponent is tied to a chair.

You could do just as well with a well built walking stick and think about strikes to knees, wrists and soft tissue areas.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

Posts: 1018 | Location: Walkabout Creek | Registered: February 20, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Advantage to the cane: Its airport friendly. Like any weapons system, it has advantages and disadvantages. Training is always a good thing.
If you go with a cane, try out an Amish hickory one from Lehmans Hardware. That's the one I use.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 5238 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Report This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Even better than a cane is a trekking pole.

I reached the point of needing a cane and went with a trekking pole instead because, in no particular order (1) you should not bear weight on a cane, (2) I am too vain to use a cane, (3) my trekking pole is acceptable to everyone (e.g., TSA) as a walking aid, and (4) my carbon fiber, tungsten-steel pointed pole is longer, has a strap to attach it to me, and will make one helluva an epee.

Nice is overrated

And people wonder why I carry a SIG P320

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 25570 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
Advantage to the cane: Its airport friendly. Like any weapons system, it has advantages and disadvantages. Training is always a good thing.
If you go with a cane, try out an Amish hickory one from Lehmans Hardware. That's the one I use.

Or perhaps a tactical aluminum cane.

http://www.solidaluminumcane.com/

Bladed cane...do not take these to the airport or use where prohibited!

http://www.budk.com/Gil-Hibben...tom-Sword-Cane-33350

http://www.budk.com/Cold-Steel...ty-Sword-Cane--10725

Posts: 2803 | Location: Middle Earth, Rivendell | Registered: November 13, 2010Report This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
unless the opponent is tied to a chair.

Ha! Not likely.
Posted a request on thumbtack and a local guy responded. No idea if he's qualified. We'll see. Thanks for the help.

Posts: 3597 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Report This Post
Picture of Snapping Twig
posted Hide Post
There are quite a few things you can learn about the use of a short staff - cane.

Still, proper training is good to go with it.

Awareness that comes from time on the mat and basics can not be overlooked, as is foot position, again basics.

That said, learning something beats knowing nothing, so go for it - but consider joining a Dojo to learn more.

'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
This one gang kept wanting me to join because I'm pretty good with a bo staff.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3119 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Report This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
There are too many choices. I'm getting paralysis from analysis. And, all the different types of MA seem to require the strength and flexibility that is in limited supply. Michael Janich's approach seems to be the simplest most straight forward approach, but the closest trainer of his method is in Amarillo and I'm just north of Houston...
Well, the hunt goes on.

posted Hide Post
http://www.functionalselfdefense.org/kali/stick-sword

Kendo and Filipino martial arts would be good starting point.

Bruce

Hanlon's Razor /prov./ A corollary of Finagle's Law, similar to Occam's Razor, that reads "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

"It is better to be considered a house cat and sit on the lap of pretty girls than to be feared as a tiger and hunted by men."- T. Takamatsu

Posts: 2316 | Location: NV | Registered: October 06, 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:
http://www.functionalselfdefense.org/kali/stick-sword

Kendo and Filipino martial arts would be good starting point.

Bruce

This

Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I forgot to mention I carry a P320 in addition to the trekking pole.

You should too (if you can).

Nice is overrated

And people wonder why I carry a SIG P320

Death to Terrorists

Posts: 25570 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Report This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
You can't get the skills dialed without repetition and instruction with corrective coaching. Find someone local. Even if there is a kendo school it would be helpful but I'm assuming that if you are going to need a cane you may have some limitations. If you decide to do it yourself, video yourself physically training so that you can observe your motion and adjust.

Posts: 4499 | Location: Southeast Tennessee | Registered: February 12, 2003Report This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
Greg Ellifritz of Active Response training whether stand alone or at TDI does a great one day cane class. I've trained with Greg, he's on the A list of trainers.

Posts: 10394 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Report This Post