SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Chik-fil-a said no to me today
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Chik-fil-a said no to me today Login/Join 
posted
I wanted to purchase a gift card for a friend, in the amount of $24.00.

I figure that's two meals.
But when I asked if the change coming back was less then $5.00,
Do they give change back ?
Or does the
Recipient walk around with a$4.22 gift card for three months?

"No ,we can't give you change back"
They replied.

I think that's kinda horse puddle.

But, if that's the worst buisness practice they have, I can live with it.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I will start by saying that I dont like Chick-fil-A. I dont like their food or their forced and over the top use of the word "pleasure".

That being said, I dont think what they told you isn't the practice of 99.9% of other businesses who offer gift cards.

Posts: 545 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What he said. My company rewards not calling in sick with a program that one of the choices is prepaid Visa cards. Nothing is more fun than having a pocket full of cards worth 20-30 bucks but in 5 dollars or less increments. When you find a store that isn’t an ass about it (PetSmart) they become your pride and joy.

Gotta disagree with the forced courtesy comment. I’ll take mandated courtesy over the average McDonalds rudeness any day.

Posts: 7347 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
You’re buying store credit with a gift card. Never have I heard of any form of store credit being refunded, for any reason. Pay with cash, they give change back for that.

Posts: 17057 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
No company that does gift cards gives cash back on a balance.

Get a $25 gift card, buy two $10 meals on the card and your third $10 meal you use the remaining $5 and pay cash for the balance.

This ain’t rocket science.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10920 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
Standard practice for every gift card sold, for any store, that I’m aware of.

On the person’s next purchase, they would swipe the card and deduct $4.22 from their order, and just pay the difference. Not sure what the issue is?

Posts: 2320 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bald Headed Squirrel Hunter
Picture of Angus the Kid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
Standard practice for every gift card sold, for any store, that I’m aware of.

On the person’s next purchase, they would swipe the card and deduct $4.22 from their order, and just pay the difference.

Yep

"Meet the new boss, same as the old boss"

Posts: 6141 | Location: In the tent, in Houston, in Texas | Registered: October 23, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Maybe it's a state-by-state thing. In California, anything under $10 is eligible for a cash payout.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18018 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If and or when I open up The Weiner Wonderland,

All customers using gift cards will get change back ,
If they paid cash for the gift card.

If you charge the transaction, you can have $4.99 back on the card of your choice.

Would you like kraut with that?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54501 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
never heard of a card giving change. ever.

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
Prepaid cards doesn’t give change...even prepaid Visa cards don’t cash out like that.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
The recipient uses the card until the funds are at $0.00, then they pay the difference out of pocket.
Like everyone else has said, this is how gift cards work with everyone who prints gift cards.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9676 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never heard of any business giving money back on a gift card.

I used to like chik-fil-a, until the owner/president went woke and felt the need to pretend to polish a guys tennis shoes.
Haven't ate there since... every time I think of going there, I remember the video and drive to another restaurant.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grapes of Wrath
Picture of Wino
posted Hide Post
Many years ago, organized crime (mostly Mexican drug cartels) figured out using gift and cash card was a useful tool in laundering money.

It’s anonymous, gets around bank compliance reporting, and is easy to use in placement, layering, and integration... all three main elements of money laundering.

About a decade ago, the Feds started enforcing more rules to mitigate the problem. Most banks no longer issue the cards. Card limits are generally lower. Companies that issue cards have to do more reporting and due diligence to detect illegal activity (handled through the card company they use). Etc.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Sounds pretty standard to me. I wouldn't worry about this.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just buy the gift card in the amount of $24.78.

Problem solved. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is nothing new...where have you been that you get refunded on remaining gift card amounts? So you got less than $5....go buy a meal or two and then pay for the remainder out of pocket after gift card is depleted.

Posts: 64 | Registered: July 16, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by highroundcount:
The local Chick place is right across the highway from panda. I see the line of zombies there.

No thanks. I'm sure they are good and support conservative values. But what the hell. Might as well take some PTO and go to DisneyLand.

Their drive-thru line moves faster than you might expect. That said, pull into the lot, order on the app and walk in to pick up your food and you're out in a few minutes. (My experience locally.)

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
On gift giving occasions my stepmother used to give my kids a card in an envelope and she would say “I got you a gift card and you can use it anywhere!” And the card contained cash.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I don't know of any store that will give cash back on a gift card. But you can use whatever remains on a gift card, even down to 1 cent, as partial payment on the next purchase.

Bendable, have you ever actually had a store give you change back after you used a gift card?

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post