SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Passport renewal but more than 15 years since my passport was issued
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Passport renewal but more than 15 years since my passport was issued Login/Join 
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted
I'm trying to understand the application process.

From what I can tell all I need is my expired passport and my current driver's license and I'm good. I do NOT need my birth certificate.

Is this correct?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Passport Renewal in Person

"If your passport has been damaged, lost or stolen, or if it's more than 15 years old, you'll have to renew in person. You'll need to fill out Form DS-11 and provide proof of U.S. citizenship along with a photo ID. Proof of citizenship can be an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization or citizenship, or a consular report of birth abroad. Your identification document can be a driver's license, a government employee or military ID, a valid foreign passport or a certificate of naturalization or citizenship.

Keep in mind, applicants can use an expired passport as either evidence of citizenship or photo ID, not both. No matter what evidence you decide to provide, you'll need to supply the documents in person, as well as submit photocopies of both your proof of citizenship and your photo ID. You'll also need to provide a check or money order made out to the Department of State for the $110 fee, along with a photo that meets passport requirements. Credit cards are not accepted when renewing in person. When renewing your passport in person, you'll also need to pay a $35 execution fee. An additional $60 fee applies if you choose expedited service.

Once you've gathered all your materials, you can make an appointment to visit a passport acceptance facility near you. Facilities range from post office locations to clerks of courts to other government offices. Some passport acceptance facilities include on-site photo facilities as well. Keep in mind that you shouldn't sign your passport application until you're instructed to by an acceptance agent."

Looks like you'll need to do it in person, and if you bring your expired passport and a drivers license you should not need your birth-cert.

https://travel.usnews.com/feat...-an-expired-passport

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I need this. lol

-----------------
Silenced on the net, Just like Trump

Posts: 578 | Location: SUX | Registered: May 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Passport Renewal in Person

"If your passport has been damaged, lost or stolen, or if it's more than 15 years old, you'll have to renew in person. You'll need to fill out Form DS-11 and provide proof of U.S. citizenship along with a photo ID. Proof of citizenship can be an original or certified copy of a U.S. birth certificate, a certificate of naturalization or citizenship, or a consular report of birth abroad. Your identification document can be a driver's license, a government employee or military ID, a valid foreign passport or a certificate of naturalization or citizenship.

..."

Looks like you'll need to do it in person, and if you bring your expired passport and a drivers license you should not need your birth-cert.

https://travel.usnews.com/feat...-an-expired-passport

Yeah that's what I read too but then I read something else that said you still need a birth certificate. My appointment at the USPS is in a couple hours and I was just double checking I had everything. Hopefully if I am missing something they at least tell me what it is.

The other big thing was that I need to put my official divorce date on there. I called the State Dept and they said it doesn't need to be exact. WTH?

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
Good move to renew soon. The passport offices are going to become very busy since several states are really behind on issuing "Real ID"

I think the amount of time to get a passport will increase.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I tend to overbring stuff with me when I have to do this stuff.

Then again - wife and I have created the "Red Book of Death". This Red Folder contains copies and originals of important documents - passports, DL, Social Security cards, marriage lisc, Deed to house, Lists of accounts, Financial Advisors, Lawyers, Trust Documents, car titles, insurance certificates, ect….

Invariably, we'll go to renew something official and they will ask for something in addition to what's not published. So we open the "Red Book of Death" and it's done. No going back for another trip.

Andrew

Duty is the sublimest word in the English Language - Gen Robert E Lee.

Posts: 863 | Registered: May 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
Good move to renew soon. The passport offices are going to become very busy since several states are really behind on issuing "Real ID"

I think the amount of time to get a passport will increase.
Yeah I believe next October is now the deadline for the Real ID stuff. I still have a couple years left on my DL so I figured I'd just renew my passport and get passport card to use for domestic travel.

Plus my gf had to renew hers now for her new job which will require her to go to Toronto a couple times a year, so it just made sense to keep them sync'ed up.

posted Hide Post
Slight drift/rant here, but don’t wear a camouflage shirt for your pic.

We had to do this in person over the weekend for our 6yr old daughter and had to cover up her shirt so it could not be seen in the pic. Could not have her jacket zipped to high either, so luckily I had a black handkerchief to tuck in her shirt collar and cover it up. You should have seen the processing ladies face when I made a comment about how our little girl is just about militant age.

Figures, she wore the 1 camo shirt she has that day. Oh, and I forgot to mention the giant glitter unicorn on it too. She must be part of the elite rainbow group. Hide your WMD’s and skittles.

-Jeff

Posts: 170 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 06, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Always best to be unassuming and professional for a passport photo. After all, you're trying to not make any kind of impression on that 3rd world customs officer.

6yr old...sure, unicorns and all Wink

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post