SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So in our due diligence of new car shopping we checked out the Subaru
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So in our due diligence of new car shopping we checked out the Subaru Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted
Since we have been planning a new car purchase. Mainly a Toyota 4Runner. My wife's new rig. Her choice anyways Wink

We have decided to look at some other options. Something capable for all conditions. Weather and road. Also something a bit more comfortable and something with better fuel economy.

We stopped and looked at the Subaru Outback premium package which is the next step up from the base model. The one we looked at had several nice options and the msrp was $34k.
This is with the non turbo 2.5l 4cyl. boxer engine. We just looked and talk with a nice fella at the dealership. Not pushy at all.
We liked it. It was new for 2020 which is always a deal killer for me. But it looked a lot like most outbacks I see so not sure how much a a new model it is. Not sure but think it could be had around $31k maybe. Thoughts about the rig and the piston opposed horizontal boxer 2.5l

Thanks guys.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want/need all weather the Subaru will outperform the highlander all day in slick stuff. I own both cars (no I don’t I read highlander not 4Runner) and a rav4 and in bad conditions even my wife would pick the Subaru.

I live our Toyota’s but the Eyesight system which is their safety package is better than the Toyota. It’s smoother, more refined, and the sensors aren’t attached to windshield which makes a Toyota windshield change much tougher and $$$.

I have the 2.0. 4 with no issues. Years ago the 2.5 consumed oil. Nowadays I don’t know.

I love Subaru. I was going to get another one but the Toyota guts moved on their price way more.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pedropcola,

Posts: 7346 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a 2013 WRX, it's been the most trouble free vehicle I have ever owned.

My good friend has a 2014 Outback and she has never had any trouble with it. I have driven it a few times and it has good acceleration, and drives very well. Hers is a non turbo model. It's the mid range level.

Another friend has a 2015 Forester, that to has been trouble free.

All three just normal, regular maintenance.

We have never had any problems in foul weather with either all season tires or as for me dedicated snow tires.

None of them use or leak oil, or any other fluid. My WRX is usually a quarter quart low on average by time for oil change. Most of that is caught in oil catch can, so that is coming through the PCV system.

The Boxer engine is a very smooth running engine, so much so, you barely feel it running, except in my WRX as I have after market performance engine mounts and aftermarket pitch stop so my engine doesn't move as much as stock. Even then, it's not very noticeable.

Good ride quality, smooth running engine, great AWD system and as far as I have seen reliable.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It depends on how long you like to keep a car.
Subarus are pretty much 300, 000 mile cars.
My Outback is at 152,000 and runs strong.
No issues yet.... sort of normal for a Subaru.
In deep snow or whatever, the Subaru will go!
The all wheel drive is seamless. You'll just see it show on the panel.
It's my understanding the all wheel is on about 10% of the time.
I've had mine out on some pretty rough mountain desert roads here in southern Arizona.

Posts: 395 | Location: Green Valley, Arizona | Registered: May 01, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The new 2020 outback is built on the new Subaru Global Platform. It's 80% stiffer than the outgoing unibody. This is a good thing.

The Outback, as compared to a 4runner, will be smoother, quieter, better handling, more efficient, and roomier. I can lay down flat inside of an Outback, and have spent many nights sleeping in one while camping. I cannot do the same in a 4 runner.

Subarus' AWD is pretty much legendary, and should get you safely through pretty much any foul weather that occurs on-road. It may even get you down some rutted out dirt roads too.

What the 4runner gets you is a tough body-on-frame truck, dressed up as a people mover. You'll get better departure, entry, and break over angles for off roading, and available 4wd with a low range and available locking center differential.

Unless you tow, go off road, or desire a truck chassis for it's ruggedness, the Outback will probably fulfill most people's needs better than the 4runner.

Posts: 13046 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
As long as you are not towing you get a proven powertrain. We have two Forresters and love them. Over 300k between them.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Subarus in general are solid cars, the new Outback is no exception. Buy with confidence, it will last you many years. Added incentive, they currently have 0% financing available across most models.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
I've driven some late model Subarus in my job. I work for a dealership in service.

My take is you can keep them. They can't get out of their own way.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4578 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NapoleonSolo
posted Hide Post
I have a Subaru as well. There are a beast in bad weather and have very good resale. Subaru buyers are almost like a cult. They are definitely great vehicles.

“Our actions may be impeded...
But there can be no impeding our intentions or our dispositions. Because we can accommodate and adapt. The mind adapts and converts to its own purposes the obstacle to our acting.

The impeding to action advances action.

What stands in the way becomes the way.”

― Marcus Aurelius

Posts: 236 | Location: Indianapolis, Indiana | Registered: November 24, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I have a 2014 Crosstrek. Theres a hard uphill right turn into work which did in my front right CV axel. The backup camera has been fritzy too. But other than that, it's an incredibly rewarding car for the $. Once you get used to the CVT, you'll never think it's weird. But if that is like my Crosstrek, it'll seem weird on the test drive. I'd buy it again if I had it to do over again. And I'd buy another (Subaru, maybe a different model) if I absolutely had to pull the trigger on something today.

Posts: 11353 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
I have a 2019 4Runner 4x4 and a 2018 Forester XT. The Forester with the 2.0 turbo has much better acceleration. The v6 in the 4Runner feels under powered. I’ve owned different Subaru’s for three decades now, in previous generations they had head gasket issues and they extended the warranty on my 2018 CVT to 75k due to some issues. I’ve never had major issues, my only real problem with Subaru is the poor fuel mileage. My Forester gets 25-27 highway. Some people here claim much better mileage but I haven’t seen it. Prior to my 2018 I had a 2014 Outback with the 6 cylinder. It was a good car with adequate acceleration. I guess the new 4’s have better acceleration than my old 2000’s outback had.

Posts: 4075 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
We have had an Impreza WRX, and two foresters. Subaru makes a great car. The EJ25 is a rock solid engine. In a naturally aspirated car, that engine is over engineered. It is designed to be turbocharged, and it’s over engineered for a turbo.
The one downside to them are around 60k miles you’ll most likely need to replace head pan gaskets. (Not head gaskets), just the gaskets that keeps the oil in the pan around the valves. Being a flat engine, the oil just sits on the gaskets all the time.
The AWD system is all Subaru’s is quite advanced over what anyone offers.
I will give the Subaru, especially with the EJ25, a full thumbs up rating. I wouldn’t hesitate to buy another one if it fit our needs.

***ETA - One other downside. If you blow a tire, and they have more than 3/32” wear, you have to replace all four. Because of the symmetrical AWD system, you can’t have tires that are different in size. It’ll wreck the differentials.

When you get bored with it, we can do an STI turbo swap pretty easily. Or just go all out with a GT35R (GT3582R) setup. It’ll be a little laggy off the line, but at 3200 rpm whoever is driving will be smiling.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4023 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have had Audi, BMW, chevy, Ford,

I love driving my f150 (2013) 176k, My wife Has a focus RS with 50k Pushing 400bhp, 400lbfttq.

We helped our daughter do her research when she was 15. She ended up choosing a Crosstrek, We negotiated the price, I paid cash. The daughter put a substantial portion down, we paid the rest.

I would do it again in a heartbeat. We have eyesight system also. she now has 50k on the crosstrek. She averages about 32-35 miles per gallon when figured miles driven per gallons filled. It Is fantastic in snow, it is the easiest driving car we have ever owned.

Without any hesitation, I would pick the crosstrek to replace my beloved truck. At first glimpse I thought value of the subbie was overstated. Now I am sold. We like our cvt 20l engine, My wife and daughter are planning a cross country trip for my daughters highschool graduation, they will be taking the subbie.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, good info. I know the 4Runner is a different animal vs the outback. As A explained well. Weird that it (outback) has more interior cargo room. I would not of thought that.

We need to decide which platform is best for us. I like the ability to tow. Having conventional 4wd with low range is something I like. Being a bit higher off the ground I like. But the outback has its advantages over the 4Runner in other area's. My wife said she thought visibility was excellent in the outback. Lots of well thought out aspects to them we thought.

The other aspect that is nice with the outback is it could be $7-10k cheaper.

And an occasional longer road trip would be a bit nicer in the outback I am imagining.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
My wife is on her third Outback-the current one is 9 years old and running strong with 160k plus. It is surprisingly good in bad weather and off road-she goes places on the ranch you wouldn't think possible. My only beef with it is leg room-I am 6'5" and am miserable on long trips in it but otherwise a great automobile.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wife has 2019 Outback. She really loves it. Drives like a car with SUV attributes. She has the touring model with the 3.6 H6 as she thought the 2.5 was too doggy getting onto the interstate.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
Search here - you will find many reviews.
Myself:
2000 OB wagon - just put out to pasture (donated to Salvation Army - at 343,000 miles
2002 Impreza - 180K+ handed down to #3 son from big brother
2009 Forester - taken from me by #2 son - pushing 240K miles
2012 OB Wagon - wife's car at 105K (just did timing belt - last year for belt)
2018 Forester - ME - coming up on 40K

Yup luv em - and not a lesbian, tree-hugger or liberal in the bunch!

As an aside - if I could afford the cost and less mileage - I would have a 4Runner.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sgalczyn,

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4561 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of LimaCharlie
posted Hide Post
We bought a new 2020 Subaru Ascent Touring model recently and we love it.

U.S. Army, Retired

Posts: 3725 | Location: Northwest Oregon | Registered: June 12, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
We just bought a new Subaru Forester Sport. Subaru has come a long way over the years.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of notarex
posted Hide Post
I would avoid a 1st year redesign Subaru. Or you could roll the dice- didn't pan out for me in 2002. Bad clutch off the lot and had to get serious with SOA to get it replaced. But they've got the head gasket thing licked, right? In the grand scheme of things, it was a decent car- and every model has its issues. I prefer to know those issues rather than be a beta tester.

Posts: 498 | Location: NH | Registered: August 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post