SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    So in our due diligence of new car shopping we checked out the Subaru
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So in our due diligence of new car shopping we checked out the Subaru Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I just traded the BRZ for the 2019 Legacy 3.6R. I had a 2008 Legacy before that.
Trouble free. Drama free. The 3.6 flat-six pulls like a Diesel locomotive. You don't realize how fast you are accelerating until the cars next to you disappear.
Get the Eyesight system, especially if you're doing long drives alone.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So from what i see the 2020 outback can tow up to 2700lbs with the stand. 2.5l boxer?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Different vehicle, but wife has a '17 Forester and is very happy with it. Once this recent nonsense is over with she's getting the '20 or '21 again. Great resale value. She's got the old one paid off so her new loan will only be a couple hundred bucks. It's got the baby engine, but it's pretty torquey and enough to pull into traffic.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
So from what i see the 2020 outback can tow up to 2700lbs with the stand. 2.5l boxer?

Yes, that's correct.

If you really want to tow the Ascent is rated for 5k with the 2.4l turbo and that's the engine that's available in the 2020 OB however, the OB chassis and brakes aren't rated for it so they detune it around 3k but I might be wrong on that.

Posts: 4076 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 4Runner has a good deal more cargo capacity than the Outback- 46 cubic feet, 88 with the back seat folded down. The Outback has 32 cubic feet, 76 with seat down. The Outback's cargo area is longer but narrower and lower.

We had a 2011 Outback with the 2.5L. It was a great vehicle for 90K miles. Between 90-100K two wheel bearings had to be replaced and the head gasket began to fail. All maintenance had been done on schedule at the dealership. One disclaimer-the radiator had to be replaced after my wife hit some debris and lost fluid. I don't think this incident really had a bearing on the head gasket problem as it occurred about six years prior and there were no issues in between.
I don't want to flog a dead horse but there is also the CVT to consider.

We now have a 4Runner.

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My uncle just bought an Outback XT- 2.0 with turbo. Driving the 2.0 only the was too doggety. 2.0 is fine for the smaller models but not the outback. I got his Impreza - now own 2 for them they are like mountain goats is snow and rain

Posts: 194 | Location: chicagoland | Registered: March 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
According to the guy the outback we looked at was only available with the 2.5L boxer and the 2.5L turbo.

You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
The 3.6 ended in 2019. Replaced with the 2.5 Turbo that runs on Regular gas.
I expect the resale of the 3.6 will be higher than normal. I am glad I got one.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My 2002 WRX 2.0L was bulletproof for 11 years and 200K+ miles. I traded it in for a 2013 WRX 2.5L.

The 2013 developed a recurring check engine light for misfire on all cylinders at about 80K, and at 103K they found the valve lash was under spec on all exhaust valves. That meant an engine pull, cylinder heads removed, all valve stems and bucket lifters ground and the whole thing reassembled. Subaru agreed to pay half the repair because this amount of work should not be needed at that mileage. I sold it shortly after.

My ex's 2004 Forester XT 2.5L Turbo lost compression on 2 cylinders and had a very rough idle at 160K. We traded it in on a 2013 Forrester 2.5L that consumed 0W20 oil like a quart every 1-2K miles, but Subaru says anything less than 1 quart evert 1K miles is "in spec". The engine blew at 70K and Subaru basically comped the rebuild and then she dumped it.

I would not go anywhere near a Subaru 2.5L again, turbo or not. Too many known issues: head gasket leaks, the class action for the excessive oil consumption, and now I was just notified of a class action for spun bearings on the 2013 WRX I sold.

All cars were dead stock and well maintained with all scheduled maintenance. My ex might have gone low on oil on the engine that blew, because it happened after we got divorced.

YMMV of course, but 3 of 4 turned me away. I drive a 2017 Civic Si now. Compared to a WRX it's lighter, better handling, better steering, not as much power but the 6-speed ratios are set right for the engine. And the DI Turbo is virtually lag free and makes peak torque much lower than the WRX's did.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, LeftySig, that is what will most likely prevent me from going the Subaru route. To many stories like yours. Ton's of great reports too. But too many bad ones for me to run the risk for the kind of $ we are talking.

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
My 2012 Outback had an idiot light instead of a temp gauge. What that means is once the light comes on you're already screwed. At 140k miles the head gasket went and took the heads with it. $4k+ later I sold it. It was a good car up to that point, but I'll never own another car without a real engine temp gauge.

Posts: 7073 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I realize that this is just one opinion, but check out the number one vehicle in this article:

https://www.cheatsheet.com/mon...nsumer-reports.html/

Posts: 770 | Location: SW Michigan | Registered: January 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
There’s a reason Subaru’s are the most popular brand in Colorado.

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
More Lesbian's percapita I am guessing Wink

Just a guess since you left everyone hanging tank. But that is a pretty good guess knowing what I know. Razz

Thanks NOCkid.

posted Hide Post
We have a 2018 crosstrek with eyesight.

Windshields are about $900 with $200 more to recalibrate eyesight. Glad my comprehensive deductible was $0.

Already mentioned but one tire flat with moderate amount of wear and non-repairable cost me 4 new tires due to AWD. Nobody will mount just one unless almost new.

Posts: 124 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I have a '17 Forester and love it.

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6314 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Individual experiences are just that. I have 4. 3 STI and one outback. The outback has been mint now 170K miles and a few issues that seem mostly normal in the hostile road salt environment where I live (wheel bearings, brake backing plates, and an unexpected drive belt and bearings). Of the cars around here outbacks are one of the few that you see lots of older high mileage examples that don't have holes in them. I'd have no problem recommending one based on everything I experienced. As somewhat an aside a good friend of mine is a mechanic and he has several times picked up an outback wagon that was junked with a zillion miles and a problem they didn't want to fix and he has fixed whatever was wrong and given them to his kids for thousands and thousands of more miles. Obviously that doesn't apply to all of us, but the basic core of this car is solid.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks guys, LeftySig, that is what will most likely prevent me from going the Subaru route. To many stories like yours. Ton's of great reports too. But too many bad ones for me to run the risk for the kind of $ we are talking.

Please share with all of us when you find a car of utmost reliability and absolutely no issues ever.............

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4577 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Article regarding Subaru quality issue.

“Subaru also just recently received a less than stellar report from J.D. Power in its IQS scorecard and the Japanese automaker is aware they need to improve quality in their vehicles. Subaru’s quality planning and management department is apparently experiencing a defect rate with the Ascent SUV that is twice as high as the company's internal goal.
High Recall Rates
Subaru has also been stung with multiple recalls, and an April report says 70 percent of Subaru vehicles are the object of recalls or service campaigns within two years of being purchased. The report says Subaru wants to lower the recall rate to an acceptable 10 percent.
Subaru of Indiana Automotive (SIA), says part of the problem is upstream and the design team in Japan needs to get some of these problems fixed before they ever make it to the U.S. plant. Problems “should have been identified during development and pre-production confirmation testing,” the report said. SIA also sites "workforce instability" has been brought on by the rapid on-boarding of new workers as they get ready to start 2020 Outback production.
Subaru’s impressive growth in the past 10 years has led to growing pains in Japan and the U.S. market. Customers are eagerly waiting for the newly-redesigned 2020 Outback to arrive and expectations are high for the new SUV/Crossover all-wheel-drive vehicle. As the 2020 Subaru Outback begins pre-production, there are internal concerns the new seventh-generation SUV will have quality issues. Stay tuned.“

https://www.torquenews.com/108...2020-outback-quality

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Welcome. I was a big Subaru proponent up until my 2013 had the issues. Multiple class actions on the 2.5L that Subaru lost and settled are enough to avoid that engine at all costs.

Part of the issue is the excessive oil consumption which seems to be a thing with Subarus. One explanation is that oil sits in the cylinders when you turn off the engine and then burns off at cold start. It doesn't all drain back into the pan like an inline or v engine. I think a lot of people are used to not checking oil any more and can run low between changes, or until they get an oil light which is already too low.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post