SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dove Hunting 2017
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dove Hunting 2017 Login/Join 
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted
Anybody get some dove hunting in today?

I'm going to be in Yuma, AZ next week and the week after for work and, hopefully, gonna git some. Hopefully because this'll be the first time for me (lots of deer and turkey, never flying birds though).

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You're in for a treat and a dose of frustration if you've never hunted Doves before. They don't just fly away from you, they go at you and both directions right and left. If you harvest 6 of them you will have a meal for 2.

I haven't hunted Doves in a number of years because the numbers dropped off, but they are making a comeback, so I might break out the 20 ga. and give it a try this year.

Good luck and have fun.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
I am passing this year. The last years have been bleak. Great if you can get into them especially on opening day when they fly low and slow.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
Just about every one of the 40 hunters we had out today limited out. It was raining all day, but the birds were flying. They were coming in from all directions, at one point it sounded like a war zone.

Posts: 2950 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went this evening and saw a total of 4 about 50 yards away. I shot at them anyway. I hate to go and not even fire a shot. It's been bad around here for the past several years. After the first week I usually bring the trap thrower and shoot some clays.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3524 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
Just about every one of the 40 hunters we had out today limited out. It was raining all day, but the birds were flying. They were coming in from all directions, at one point it sounded like a war zone.

One of the locals i work with, who's heading north for [archery] deer season pointed me to a few places. Lots of dove there last evening (Thursday)

Of course now the wife is commenting about how many pounds of dove i need to get for the $160 out-of-state license + $5 for the stamp to be worth it.

Need to bring her out next year. Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14036 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tha1000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:

One of the locals i work with, who's heading north for [archery] deer season pointed me to a few places. Lots of dove there last evening (Thursday)

Of course now the wife is commenting about how many pounds of dove i need to get for the $160 out-of-state license + $5 for the stamp to be worth it.

Need to bring her out next year. Big Grin

Free range organic meat isn't cheap!!

Posts: 5383 | Location: MS | Registered: June 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I went to Kansas and hunted with a few friends. We all managed to get close to our limit. It's always a great way to start out the fall hunting season.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post