SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge Challenger or Chevy Camaro?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge Challenger or Chevy Camaro? Login/Join 
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
My parents gave me a 1982 VW Rabbit, diesel, as my highschool/college car.

It had 52 horsepower, in 1982. I started driving it starting at 280,000 miles in the year 2000.

I firmly believe this is why I am alive today. I wanted a V8 Mustang. I would have died in one.

As a cop/medic...giving a teenager a powerful car to drive on the highways...bad idea.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trickedtrix
posted Hide Post
With a V6 or less motor I don't think there's anything wrong with a college kid getting a "sports" car - have you guys been paying attention to what all the V6's across the board are doing? Camry's have over 300hp now and are doing 0-60 well under 6 seconds. Technology keeps getting better. If she likes the looks of the camaro or the challenger what's the big deal? I bet the insurance premiums won't be any more than a typical kids car. My daughter costs me $130/month with a F****** civic!

*Handguns are fine, Shotguns are final

Posts: 1236 | Location: IL | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Nissan 370Z

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three on, one off
Picture of G-Man
posted Hide Post
I looked at both last year (and also the Mustang), test drove them, and easily went with the Challenger. I love it! Much roomier and comfortable for me than the Camaro or Mustang. I have the Hemi 5.7 L V8, with 372 HP. Not the SRT or Hellcat level power, but that is not my priority. I'm not drag racing or putting it on a track, or I would have gotten the Camaro. But it's nice to have a car with a little "shove" to it. I agree with the previous posts about the engine size though. If you want a V6, there are better choices out there.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: G-Man,

Posts: 4453 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My friend bought a '17 Challenger a few months ago, albeit with the V6. Even with the 6 though it's a nice car and fun to drive. I'm a Chevy guy through and through, but for a newer driver I think the Challenger would be the better bet. For me personally, I would go with the Camaro. Have her test drive both for sure.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I would be interested in hearing your issues with the Mustangs you had.
I have had 3 still have 1 and all gave me zero issues.

That being said with your choices the Challenger would be my choice.
If I can talk you back into a Mustang a 2 year old Ecoboost with the track pack would be my choice as they can be had for under 20k.
Once I finish my 92 4 cylinder turbo build I may have to get an Ecoboost model to go along with it.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
With the v6 you're probably equal, at that point it's fit and what she likes.

Have you checked into what the college/university allows for cars on campus, most have limited parking, and what you can get requires a job, money and connections to get a pass. Some don't allow frosh to have a car on campus period.

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
The Mustang is kind of fast and dangerous, play it safe and get the Chevy or the Dodge!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Of the two the Challenger is a way better driver's car than the Chevy. Take both for a test drive and you will see what I mean.
The Challenger has an actual back seat that humans can sit in unlike the Camaro and it also lacks in any visibility other than straight ahead making it quite dangerous in my opinion. (Chevy sacrificed a lot of drivability to get the body lines to look the way they do.)

Posts: 10849 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
Challenger. Had an SS convertible for a bit, nice car but I think the Challenger would be a better DD.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
Haven't driven either but based on looks alone, the Challenger. I think it's one of the best looking cars on the road. I came close to test driving one with a v6 and manual trans.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2268 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
My parents gave me a 1982 VW Rabbit, diesel, as my highschool/college car.

It had 52 horsepower, in 1982. I started driving it starting at 280,000 miles in the year 2000.

I firmly believe this is why I am alive today. I wanted a V8 Mustang. I would have died in one.

As a cop/medic...giving a teenager a powerful car to drive on the highways...bad idea.

Yeah but we almost died in that rabbit a time or two...

Posts: 663 | Registered: August 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe Mustang loses the v-6 for 2018, and only the 2.3ecoboost and 5.0 will be available. There are 2017 3.7v6 mustangs on lots around here for just over $22k. The Camaro is a great looking car, v-6 with 335hp is a lot of go. If I could see out of the Camaro well enough for backing, parking, lane changes, I would probably go that route. Kind of leery of turbos on 4cyls for longevity, my.02c.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I am probably going to get a 2016 or 2017 Camaro SS2 with 8 speed auto. Suspension is supposed to be amazing on it. I am retired now and it would not be our family car or foul weather car. Starting to watch dealer ads for like new under 10,000 mile used ones. Pretty hefty discount from new seeing loaded SS2 for around $37,000 with some only a couple thousand miles on them, one owner non lease. I am thinking closer to winter after 2018s come out might be a good time to buy a nice used 2016 or 2017.

This one is tempting me right now.

https://www.cars.com/vehiclede.../702421844/overview/

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post