SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Dodge Challenger or Chevy Camaro?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dodge Challenger or Chevy Camaro? Login/Join 
Picture of Wishbone
posted
So my daughter wants a sports car and has it narrowed down to there 2. Ive had 2 Mustangs and both had a lot of problems so it will be either a challenger or camero. Due to her driving back and forth from college insurance and gas milage are a big deal so either car will have a V6 or possibly a turbo 4 in the camero. Anyone of you guys ever own one or both of these?

Posts: 946 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Little over 10k on our '17 Challenger, not much, but no problems. We love it!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ayatollah of Rock 'n' Rollah
Picture of Replacement Tommel
posted Hide Post
No point to a pony car if it's got a 6 cylinder or a four banger if ya ask me... Perhaps a Subaru WRX instead? They're fairly fast, pretty reliable, have AWD, and are pretty safe.

-Tom

"For the cause that lacks assistance/The wrong that needs resistance/For the Future in the distance/And the Good that I can do" - George Linnaeus Banks, "What I Live for"

Posts: 10567 | Location: Boyertown, PA USA | Registered: July 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife drives a 2014 Camaro convertible and loves it. We have 25,000 miles on it and have never had a problem. I much prefer my Challenger because it's roomier (6'4"), has a better interior and a usable trunk.

My wife prefers her Camaro so I think you should get your daughter to drive both because they are quite a bit different to drive.

I think the reliability is going to be a wash between the two.

You might also want to check on insurance between the two because there can be a surprising difference between two cars even when you think they might be in the same class.

Posts: 3911 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
As much as I dislike GM, I'd go with a Camaro if those were my only two choices; however, you should reconsider the Mustang unless you're complaining about one of the newer models. If they're from the '90s or older, then definitely reconsider a Mustang over the other two choices.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2012BOSS302
posted Hide Post
What Orguss said. Right now I give the edge of the turbo 4 to the Mustang eco-boost (not that I even think a 4 should be in a Mustang or Camaro.) But if the Mustang is not on the list - for what you said (economy) I would go with the Camaro. The Challenger is a heavier car (albeit more room.)

Donald Trump is not a politician, he is a leader, politicians are a dime a dozen, leaders are priceless.

Posts: 3791 | Location: Idaho | Registered: January 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
The Camaro with the six is 335 hp and will do a 13.5 Sec 1/4 mile on regular, UNleaded fuel. The engine management system allows for amazing fuel mileage. Unsure exact figures for the six but my 2017 SS is giving me 25-28 mpg consistently at 80-85 mph on the Interstate. But like the turbo 4, my car requires Premium fuel.

The V6 is no slouch. They handle and brake VERY well.

Go over to the Gen 6 Camaro forums and get educated. Tons of camaro nuts there that can reply to any question.

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/index.php

My 2017 has been flawless so far.The 2016's and 17's won a ton of praise from the various Auto magazines. Won quite a few spots in their annual Top Ten car lists, etc. Owned it since 11/2016 .

The view out IS a little diminished by the body design. ALWAYS what the car testers seem to harp on. Set up your rear view mirrors properly and use the excellent back up camera....end of issues. You get used to the view in about 30 minutes of driving the car.

Frankly I love my SS.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: FN in MT,

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think the fact that the Camaro has OnStar would tend to tip the scale in its favor, if I were buying one of those two for my wife (or the daughter I don't have).

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
The Camaro with the six is 335 hp and will do a 13.5 Sec 1/4 mile on regular, leaded fuel.

Err, what?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
V6 camaro

Posts: 13806 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I swear I had
something for this
posted Hide Post
He means 87 octane. Added to which, the Camaro is about 500 lbs lighter than the Challenger. The Challenger was already based on an old chassis that had parts from an even older Mercedes chassis while everyone writes that the Alpha chassis is one of the best handling platforms out for sale.

Throw the V8 in the Camaro and you've got a car that Motor Trend will take over a BMW M3/4 full stop without considering the price difference (I can also post the Head to Head if you want).

The new Camaro is one of the most amazing cars on sale as long as you don't need rear seats. The Challenger is a year or two out from a full scale replacement on Alfa Romeo's new Georgio platform. That will be a great fight when it happens. Now, there's not much to cheer about a Challenger besides a Hellcat.

Posts: 4157 | Location: Kansas City, MO | Registered: May 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
The Camaro with the six is 335 hp and will do a 13.5 Sec 1/4 mile on regular, leaded fuel.

Err, what?

UNleaded...I swear I hit the U N keys.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
Yeah, but nobody likes the UN, so it's understandable.

Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I've rented all 3 (Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang) in the latest body styles.

My order of preference:
1. Mustang
2. Challenger
Distant 3rd. Camaro - I despised the visibility in it and since I live in a big city I won't own a vehicle with poor visibility. The engine and suspension were nice though.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
OK, I'll be that guy.

Your daughter is in college and wants a higher end sports car? My dad would have told to put the want in one hand and s**t in the other....

It seems to me that laying out the money (cost, insurance, etc...) for that type of car isn't the smartest thing a college student can do. I'd suggest a good running beater until she graduates and starts a decent paying career.

But...that's just me.

Posts: 20088 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don't discount the new Mustangs.

I am a lifelong Chevy fan. I went in 2015 to buy a Camaro 2SS. I had it all spec'd out, went down to the dealership, actually got in one, and said no thank you.
The visibility was not only awful, it was straight dangerous.
I don't know if the 16+ has improved much, but up here you can't see the stoplight if you're first in line. The A-pillars are gigantic.
I live in a city with narrow lanes, lots of cyclists, jaywalkers, congestion, construction, etc. People say you get used to it, but I can't start seeing through the roof suddenly .

The new 2016 Camaro V8 is miles ahead of the 5.0 Mustang in performance. I love the SBC 6.2 Lt1 V8 *drool*

But I ended up with the 5.0 Mustang 2016, 6-speed manual 3.73 gears.

The Mustang has great visibility, a very usable trunk, great (to me) interior, and it's safe.

Posts: 1179 | Registered: June 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Probably on a trip
Picture of furlough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
OK, I'll be that guy.

Your daughter is in college and wants a higher end sports car? My dad would have told to put the want in one hand and s**t in the other....

It seems to me that laying out the money (cost, insurance, etc...) for that type of car isn't the smartest thing a college student can do. I'd suggest a good running beater until she graduates and starts a decent paying career.

But...that's just me.

I am right there with you.

Wishbone I don't know your circumstances, so I'll just go with the car recommendations.

All three are not really sports cars, but modern muscle cars. The Challenger is heavy beast that goes fast in a straight line. The Camaro is better in the corners now, but does have some crappy visibility.

Honestly I would take another look at the Mustang. The V-6 Mustang is one of the best bang-for-the-buck performance cars you can get these days. And this is coming from a lifelong Camaro fan.

This and no other is the root from which a tyrant springs; when he first appears above ground he is a protector.
Plato

Posts: 1772 | Location: Texas! | Registered: June 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yew got a spider
on yo head
Picture of DoctorSolo
posted Hide Post
I love my 17 Camaro SS.

More sophisticated, if less practical than the challenger. I bought mine to race on the weekends and it has been a hoot.

The visibility complaints are overblown. Drive one before ruling it out.

Posts: 5130 | Location: Colorado Springs | Registered: April 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Furlough.....HOW is the current Gen 6 Camaro NOT a sports car?? Have you read ANY of the road tests? It has beaten the Mustang in MANY road tests and has been complimented in C&D, R&T, Motor Trend, etc as a true sports car.

DoctorSolo....Clue him in will You?

The Constable
posted Hide Post