SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Anyone missing a dock?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone missing a dock? Login/Join 
posted

Did you or someone you know lose a cheerfully-painted floating dock in the Gulf of Mexico? The Coast Guard wants to know.

At 1 p.m. Wednesday (Aug. 2), Coast Guard watchstanders in New Orleans received a report of a floating dock spotted in the Gulf, about 180 miles south of Grand Isle, according to Coast Guard officials.

A photo released by the Coast Guard shows a small wooden dock outfitted with plastic barrels and a cabin shed painted light green with lavender trim and featuring a painting of a mermaid and other sea creatures on its side. It has a sign above the door that may or may not say "crab shack."

The Coast Guard launched an HC-144 Ocean Sentry airplane crew from Mobile, Ala., to assess the dock and search for signs of distress. The Coast Guard did not indicate whether anyone is believed to be aboard the dock.

Watchstanders also issued a broadcast notifying other vessels in the area of the floating dock.

Anyone with information on the dock is asked to call the Eighth District Command Center.

Posts: 17231 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Somebody should put a GPS tracker on that to see where she goes

Posts: 26901 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shorted to Atmosphere
Picture of Shifferbrains
posted Hide Post
What the dock?!?

Posts: 5199 | Location: Manteca, CA | Registered: May 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
That's not a dock. I know people that would consider that a houseboat. And they'd be proud to say that it was their houseboat.

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to ask:
What's the stuff mounted on the roof? Kayak rack?

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
Is the dock still worth the recovery fees and likely government fines?

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Did a bunch of Cubans bail off it right before The Coast Guard spotted it?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
A few things that could be, but only the water around the structure could technically be called a dock.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10354 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
Is the dock still worth the recovery fees and likely government fines?

So... would the dock be in hock?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If it floats like a dock...

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19658 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Wanna Missile
Picture of tanksoldier
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
If it floats like a dock...

...but does it quack like a dock?

"I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight."
GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Posts: 21542 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: January 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "that's not a dock...it's a houseboat" crowd...I would like to have that to relax on (not too far out in the gulf though) Big Grin...that is pretty "cheerful" IMHO Smile

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10585 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum's Indian
Off the Reservation
Picture of bigpond73
posted Hide Post
So.......that's where it is Wink. Thanks!

Mike

You can run, but you cannot hide.

If you won't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them.

Posts: 4930 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: January 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
No No it is a floating potty station.

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never Go
Full Retard
Picture of MitchbSC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

No shit. Razz

They don't think it be like it is, but it do.

Posts: 4797 | Location: SC | Registered: January 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MitchbSC:
quote:
Originally posted by ontmark:

No shit. Razz

Ah, so it doesn't say "crab shack" but rather "crap shack". Makes sense.

Posts: 7355 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
How's the fishing?

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10909 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have to ask:

Radio surveillance antennas. It's the weekend getaway vacation boat for the NSA.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9156 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
It'll come back in a week or so. Full of Cubans.

The old floating crab shack trick!

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing a thing or two
about a thing or two
Picture of hray
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by YooperSigs:
I have to ask:

My guess the 90s brackets have fishing line or wire strung between them as a seagull deterrent.

P226 NSWG
P220 W. German
P239 SAS gen2
P6 1980 W. German
P228 Nickel
P365XL
M400 SRP

Posts: 1139 | Location: South Miami Dade | Registered: May 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post