SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Question about backup generator installation problem - big one
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about backup generator installation problem - big one Login/Join 
posted
My brother in law and his wife are in their 70's and live on a farm. He has advanced Alzheimer's and she decided they needed a good backup generator for Iowa winters. They had a good sized one installed with an automatic start and transfer switch. When the electrician turned it on, she heard a loud "poof". Electrician said all is well and left. That evening the following did not work: electric stove, dishwasher, coffee maker, food processor, half of the main floor lights and probably something else I am forgetting.

Owner of the company came out and said his guys screwed up and would pay for all damage. My questions are, 1.) What could they possibly have down wrong? Generator has to provide 220 v. for A.C., stove, etc. And there had to be more than one circuit involved. 2.) I am worried that there could be damage to the wiring in the house - overheated wires, switch and outlet terminals that were burned but still work, etc. Is that likely?

Stove and dishwasher are being repaired and small appliances replaced.

Thanks

Posts: 581 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You should ask the electrician (not the one who screwed up) doing the follow up inspection.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
They likely mixed up L1 or L2 with Neutral, putting 240v to fixtures and outlets and 120v to 240v appliances. Depending on how long, probably got a whole bunch of really bright light bulbs that either died or will die soon.

One of our guys fucked that one up a few years ago, cost a crapton to make homeowner whole. Usually happens while marking out wires. Black wires are taped color coded base on L1, L2, neutral, and ground. Mix it up and it wreaks havoc on electrical components, especially electronic stuff.

Worst part is that some of the damage won't manifest itself right away. One year from now randomly (not really) a microwave or washing machine might die.

As far as actual electrical components - Wiring, breakers, outlets, standard switches, etc. none of that stuff will be affected. Only things that have electric combined with electronic. There is a small chance that a motor can be ruined, but again that is likely to be determined by duration of the incorrect voltages/phases.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I will let her know to put the company on notice about future problems that may show up.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ranger312:
Thanks for the help. I will let her know to put the company on notice about future problems that may show up.

Unfortunately for the in-laws no way to prove that anything that fails tomorrow, next week, or especially 12 months from now is a direct result. Best thing is to ensure they are made whole from current issues, future ones while possibly caused from their F-up can't be proven to be so.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20758 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
If Skins2881's supposition is right then there is really no excuse for that... that is just plain stupid and I can't figure out how anyone with half a lick of electric since would do that.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

Similar thing happened on the install of our Onan 20k genset. Not sure where the "electrician" hooked up L1 and L2, but he grabbed the first white wire he found to connect to neutral. Blew out several electronic items, which his boss made whole for us. I had to go out with a DMM and find the hookup block, tested where there was 240 (across L1 and L2 hookups), and 120 L1 or L2 to the neutral block. The white wire he had used initially was power to the Battery Tender in the transfer switch.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Previous answers probably have it right--including the damage that won't show right away. And including the fact there's no excuse for it.

Believe it or not, and I'm still having a hard time believing it, contractors for the local power company did the same damn thing out on the street, somehow, a few years ago. Wife heard "OH SHIT!", a really loud *BANG*, and a crapton of stuff died in the house.

Next door neighbour, off the same drop from the street: Same thing.

For us all it did was pop some fuses (we still had, literally, a fuse box, then) and I lost 2-3 X-10 devices. Next door neighbour, in addition to the fuses, had a surge protector outlet strip start to catch fire when he replaced the fuse for the circuit upon which it was.

I'd hate to think what would've happened if we'd had all the LED bulbs we now have at the time.

That the business owner's guys walked away from the job, claiming everything was ok, after that, is even more inexcusable than the original mistake, IMO.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
I would be sure to test furnace right now.

If the farm is on same circuit they might want to check shop. Compressors, welder, furnace, grain dryer fans, all that stuff. I'm going to guess that little was operating at the time. It's kind of unlikely they are sharing the same meter even but it would not hurt to check.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5130 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
I would be sure to test furnace right now.

If the farm is on same circuit they might want to check shop. Compressors, welder, furnace, grain dryer fans, all that stuff. I'm going to guess that little was operating at the time. It's kind of unlikely they are sharing the same meter even but it would not hurt to check.

Adding to this; test EVERYTHING which is/was electrically connected. All the components have been compromised.

Maybe turn them on and keep them in and running for at least 24 - 48 hours (even the furnace and air conditioner)

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They are retired so nothing else on the farm to worry about. But they do have electic radiant heat throughout the house. It obviously wasn't on, but I wonder if that might have been affected. Its an 80's vintage system with a thermostat in each room. Has always worked very well.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
They are retired so nothing else on the farm to worry about. But they do have electic radiant heat throughout the house. It obviously wasn't on, but I wonder if that might have been affected. Its an 80's vintage system with a thermostat in each room. Has always worked very well.

Not likely to have damaged resistive heat if it was what I suspect happened. Did you find out what the mistake was?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
Did I tell you about the time a very large company I worked for once found out some of the people doing assembly work that included electrical were color blind! Fucken geniuses in HR never asked before hiring them.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Owner of the company came out and said his guys screwed up and would pay for all damage.

Wow. As far as the owner is concerned, is this a "these things happen" kind of screw up, or is it "good luck finding another job" kind of screw up?

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6373 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
Geez, guys, people make mistakes. It sounds like the owner is a standup guy and is doing what he needs to make it right.

Once in a lack of attention, I pulled the wrong pin on a live M142 multipurpose firing device inserted into a training M16 bouncing betty. I only ended up with plastic shrapnel in my ear and a headache instead of removal of my head. I appreciated my platoon sergeant letting that be the limit of the lesson.

Don't know if the guy must be crucified over it, especially if the contractor is making it right.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8202 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post