SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Since we're having a thunderstorm - how do you measure lightning distance?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Since we're having a thunderstorm - how do you measure lightning distance? Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
Back in my ill spent youth, every one told us to count seconds from the flash, then 5 seconds was equal to a mile. 15 seconds was 3 miles, or thereabouts.

But we see flashes that never touch the ground (cloud to cloud) or flashes that light up the entire sky. So I assume the flash we see is for the entire length of the strike at the same instand, but only hear the thunder for the closest part. How does altitude impact that? Would a 15,000 foot strike be the same as one 3 miles out?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I have an App on my phone, 'Thunder and Lightning' I think it was free. You can hit the button when you hear thunder or a button for lightning and it will tell you how far away it is.

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1368 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
5280/1125 =4.69 seconds = 1 mile.

Higher up speed of sound is slower.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
Better yet, go to www.lightningmaps.org and see a live map of lightning strikes based on data from an international network of lightning detection stations. (Yes, really! Sounds crazy, right?)

New strikes are yellow and have a red ring around them. The red ring disappears after maybe 30 seconds, then the strikes fade from yellow to orange to brown over the course of a couple of hours.

They also draw expanding circles showing the sound of the thunder from the strike moving across the map.

(Make sure to click on the "Real Time" map, not the "America" map.)

There's typically a delay of a few seconds between real life and the map. Right now it's showing up as 3 seconds for me (it gives you the current delay in the corner of the map).

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:

The speed of sound varies with temperature, not altitude. But at higher elevations the temperature is usually lower and therefore so too is the speed of sound.

See here.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
Driving north through Slower Lower on a half-sunny / half-thunderstormy afternoon, I happened to gaze across a green field when BAM, as explosion rocked my truck.

It was a burst of lightening about 40'- 80' off the ground. It looked as big as a VW bug, but at that distance, it may have been as big as a panel truck.

I think I saw a genuine base of the lightening arc. There were tatters of black soot drifting from the explosion, like the air itself was burnt.

Hate to bave been the conductor of ground to the atmosphere's charge on that one! Talk about burnt microwave popcorn!

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WeatherBug app has a lightning distance feature.
Gives you a warning when lightning is within 10 miles or so.
Distance to closest lightning strike is always shown, today it was 700 miles.
Their maps show lightning strikes as they occur, as does other similar apps.

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
WeatherBug app has a lightning distance feature.
Gives you a warning when lightning is within 10 miles or so.
Distance to closest lightning strike is always shown, today it was 700 miles.
Their maps show lightning strikes as they occur, as does other similar apps. You can zoom in, see your house and the strikes that have occurred.
Of course when you see the flash, and the thunder boom occurs at the same time, with your house rattling, you know it was close and maybe time to clean your pants?

Jim

Posts: 1344 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

The speed of sound varies with temperature, not altitude. But at higher elevations the temperature is usually lower and therefore so too is the speed of sound.

See here.

Huh, learn something new every day. I figured to more dense air is the faster sound would travel through it, except that the increase in pressure slows sound down by the same amount. Pressure and density vary the same amount by altitude and their individual affects on the speed of sound cancel each other out.

Posts: 10821 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Stand outside with the phone to your ear while talking. It's like playing tag with God, if you see and hear the flash/noise at the same time - you're it!! Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14020 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
One hippopotamus, two hippopotamus....

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use the same site as maladat. I work in a mine and we sometimes have charged blasting patterns, when lightning is present, it's nice to know how close it is so we can get far enough away to be safe...

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If you hear the sound, and then see the flash, you're too close.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If you hear the sound, and then see the flash, you're too close.

And you didn't win Powerball!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I always equated each second between lightning flash and thunder clap to one mile.

One sure thing...if you can see this guy, you're too close

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Used to be one Mississippi two Mississippi, each Mississippi was a mile away..Who needs technology.:-)

Posts: 2302 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wave a 10 foot piece of conduit around

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

See here.

You are both correct; higher altitude means less dense air, which is dependent on air temperature. For an ideal gas the speed of sound is proportional to the square root of the absolute temperature.

From the website you quoted:
"The speed of sound is dependent on the density of the air...and the density of the air is dependent on the temperature of the air."

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
all I know is that a former room mate was stationed on the island off t he coast of California.

his job was to listen to the ocean and identify
craft that were more than 100 miles off shore
through the use of underwater microphones.

I imagine computers do all of the recognizing / identifying these days

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post