SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations Login/Join 
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted
I have had McAfee Virus Total Protection for probably a decade. I pay $99 to cover 3 devices per year. So far I have never had any viruses....knocking on wood very hard. I am very diligent with deleting email that looks strange or not clicking on strange links.

My annual renewal is about to expire with McAfee and I am deciding whether to stay with them or decide if there is something better out there.

So what say you? Is there a better anti-virus software out there or should I stick with what I have? I do not mind paying $99 a year for 3 devices. I just want the best protection.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
I run Webroot on both my PC and my MacBook. It seems to go on sale in late summer. I guess I’ve run it for 4 years without issue.
Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Your ISP may provide free antivirus. For example, I get McAfee from AT&T.

On the PC I use for more questionable surfing, I also run Malwarebytes.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
We pretty much always use Avast (free version). Does the job very well. We also run Malwarebytes.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5024 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When I asked here early this year, I got many recommendations. I ended up with bitdefender for their low impact, multiple devices including phones, and good rating with viruses.

Someone said just use Windows Defender but in the interim that I used it, I ended up with Malware.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19582 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using Avast free for years with no issues. On my newer Win10 machines I just use the built in Windows Defenser. No viruses. Even when I try to purposely infect it, it sees it and stops it.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Kaspersky, Less than $50 for 5 Devices. Found a virus embedded in photos that crashed my wife's bios that Norton did not find. What better antivirus than Russian! The only risk is Russians knowing what you are doing.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4250 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bassamatic:
We pretty much always use Avast (free version). Does the job very well. We also run Malwarebytes.

Same, same.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

A also have AT&T for my ISP. How do you go about getting McAfee for free from them?

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live long
and prosper
Picture of 0-0
posted Hide Post
I run Avast free on my computers and SuperAntispyware instead of Malwarebytes.
Always keep in mind a second opinion. I use AdwareCleaner every now and then.
Run CCleaner on a regular basis to keep my system clean of temporary files and check my registry 's health. Found Privazer free is safe to use and does take care of my privacyin the surface.

0-0

"OP is a troll" - Flashlightboy, 12/18/20

Posts: 12090 | Location: BsAs, Argentina | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Malware Bytes

Posts: 22857 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I run Avast. After the free period I sign up and pay for the 2 year plan. I consider anti-virus a valuable service and someone has to pay for it as the people who code it don't work for free. I think it's around $20 per year.

I would also highly recommend not doing your web surfing with an Admin userid. That's just asking for trouble (been there, done that). Have an admin ID, then at least 1 non-privileged ID for family members. Since I stopped using an admin ID for web surfing we have not had a virus. I don't give my wife the password. When she asks me for the PW I go to the computer to see what in the heck she's doing. Before we had non-admin userids she installed a virus. Seems FedEx had her install a program so she could track a package. Yes, it was a virus, and not from FedEx. Roll Eyes

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by StorminNormin:
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:

A also have AT&T for my ISP. How do you go about getting McAfee for free from them?

This page will get you there: https://www.att.com/esupport/a...d-internet/KM1010110

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
When I used to use Windows (and DOS), I always used F-Prot for anti-virus. Their original version was released in 1989. It is a strong engine and uses a low amount of computer resources. Definitions are updated very frequently, sometimes more than one in a day, when necessary.

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All of my ISPs (AT&T and Time Warner Cable/Spectrum) provide free McAfee for all home computers. It has been like this for years.

Posts: 1803 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
I've been using ESET NOD32 for years.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
I have comcast and they provide Norton. Though I only use it on one computer.

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I've been running Avast for years with no problems.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Malware Bytes

I use only Malwarebytes too. The free version which doesn’t provide real time protection (and consequently doesn’t suck CPU cycles). But I physically disconnect from the Internet and run a Malwarebytes scan (takes 40 seconds) prior to my daily backup, so I know that all of my backups are clean.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably my own ignorance, but I tried AVAST Free version and it seemed to be constantly alerting me to things that only the paid version could fix. I didn't really know if it was actually blocking the viruses with the free version, or just "Alerting me" that they were there.
Eventually I uninstalled it.
Maybe I just need to quit being so cheap and get the paid version ? (I am already also using Malwarebytes Premium)

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post