SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer Virus Protection Software Recommendations Login/Join 
Republican in training
Picture of DonDraper
posted Hide Post
What OS do you run OP? Hopefully you're on Windows 10.

--------------------
I like Sigs and HK's, and maybe Glocks

Posts: 2263 | Location: SC | Registered: March 16, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DonDraper:

Windows Defender is all I use and I've never picked up a virus or malware with it.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I'm in the market to change also, I have Norton, but their anti-NRA stance has turned me off. Has anyone had any experience with PCMatic?

I am the only person on this forum using PCMatic. Everyone here tells me it sucks. I have been using it since prior to 2008. I have never had an issue with it. Some years past they offered an "evergreen" subscription, which was lifetime. I was due for an annual renewal and got the lifetime offer. YMMV

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am the only person on this forum using PCMatic. Everyone here tells me it sucks. I have been using it since prior to 2008. I have never had an issue with it. Some years past they offered an "evergreen" subscription, which was lifetime. I was due for an annual renewal and got the lifetime offer. YMMV

Their TV commercials seem slimy to me.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Mackeeper for apple.
avast for windows.

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8318 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
AVG Ultimate on sale at Fry's.com works great

Posts: 632 | Location: Cajun Country, Sportsman Paradise  | Registered: March 19, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the replies so far. I am looking into them and trying to figure out what I will go with. I feel I am getting overcharged paying for McAfee.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I am on Windows 10.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8657 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
When I asked here early this year, I got many recommendations. I ended up with bitdefender for their low impact, multiple devices including phones, and good rating with viruses.
Someone said just use Windows Defender but in the interim that I used it, I ended up with Malware.

Going on 4 years of Bitdefender use.
They had some glitches when going from 2017 --> 2018 but worked them out and gave me a bunch of extra subscription time for the hassle. It updates it's V definitions every hour.
No complaints so far.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3771 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo54:
quote:

Windows Defender is all I use and I've never picked up a virus or malware with it.

Jim

This is what I've been using since updating to W10, although I'll run Immunet scanner now and again. Some third party virus programs may actually hinder W10 from running critical updates.

link

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by OMCHamlin:
I'm in the market to change also, I have Norton, but their anti-NRA stance has turned me off. Has anyone had any experience with PCMatic?

PCMatic is a scam company that bombarded users with relentless ads so much they are trying to go legit.
Not a serious security company, IMO.
YMMV

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Comodo Internet Security Premium for Firewall and AntiVirus. Malwarebytes with AdwCleaner for malware, pups, etc.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
ESET Security Suite here. Been running it for about 10 years. Running it on multiple computers at home and at my business. It is low on resource usage, easy to use, and I have never had a problem and that included having two teenagers using them for years.

Having said that, I also consider myself a tech-wennie and have taken other steps in addition to antivirus. When my children were young they would screw up the PC quite regularly. Not with viruses but just screwing it up. Used to run an image of their PC every week so I could completely restore the computer in about 15 minutes.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been using Trend Micro for about 6 years, it has been excellent.

-c1steve

Posts: 4041 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Resident Undertaker
Picture of BigCity
posted Hide Post
BitDefender and Malwarebytes.

John

The key to enforcement is to punish the violator, not an inanimate object. The punishment of inanimate objects for the commission of a crime or carelessness is an affront to stupidity.

Posts: 1727 | Location: People's Republik of Maryland | Registered: November 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
I have Sophos Home Free on our home computer. You don't know it's there until it pops up and warns it has detected something suspicious, or you try to open a page and it says it's an infected site with such and such. The do have a paid subscription version as well.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I have 2 laptops, one for the house and travel, and one for my business

one is AVG free, one is AVAST free

both run Superantispyware about once a month,
both run Malwarebytes about 3 times a year

neither has had a problem

both machines are window's 7, running Chrome with adblocker installed,

rarely get an alert, one either machine

I also have a desk top at home on windows 10, I run chrome, wife runs microsoft,

cannot remember which is on that machine, but also run the same on superanti and malware,

0 issues as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10410 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post