SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Guns, BIG battleship guns
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Guns, BIG battleship guns Login/Join 
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted
William Devane gold commercial on the big battleship. Gun bore beside him appears to have a rifled insert in the barrel. Is that they way they were made?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Yes. Rifling was over 1/4 inch deep, and bit into a copper band on the shell. I'm sure some of our battleship sailors will be on soon with better info. I grew up in Massachusetts and toured the Battleship Massachusetts many, many times. At one time, they had a light bulb down at the breech end, and a set of wooden stairs you could climb to look down the barrel from the muzzle. There were a ton of lands and grooves in there.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of barndg00
posted Hide Post
Nothing like a 1600cal rifle...

Posts: 2155 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is rifled, but is the rifling in an insert placed in the barrel? Or cut into the barrel itself. Looked like a big insert that was changeable.

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
It's an insert. Barrels could be shot out and then relined. Rifling was a wear part in those things.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12772 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I have some 16" shells where I work. They are inert. The band is about 2" wide by 1/4 thick. The shells themselves are pretty cool.
They are becoming ornaments for some office entrances.

There are some cool videos of lathes turning barrels.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3862 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Thanks. that's what I thought. I'm going to search for a cross sectional diagram. I would love to know how you keep the gas from blowing that insert out when firing.

RMD

quote:
Originally posted by ArtieS:
It's an insert. Barrels could be shot out and then relined. Rifling was a wear part in those things.

Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
http://navweaps.com/Weapons/WNUS_16-50_mk7.php

Excellent reference.

RMD

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Dig the caption on that first picture.

"It should be clear from the photograph that firing a broadside does not push the ship sideways."

! I can the ship rocking a bit, but pushed sideways?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

"It should be clear from the photograph that firing a broadside does not push the ship sideways."

No rocking either. Just a bit of a shake. And always remember to roll down the windows on the bridge - that way the don’t get blown in.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that the barrel lining (the part with the rifling) would stretch out a bit after repeated firing, so that it protruded past the muzzle. It would have to be periodically trimmed (it was called 'circumcission') Eek . . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21843 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can't remember if I posted these before, but here is the story. About 5-7 years ago, the Gov't had an auction at the Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada. They had ~25 of the 16"/50 naval gun barrels. One caveat, the buyer had to haul them off. They sold, someone got some good steel:

As a side note, my Brother in Law was on the USS St.Paul during Vietnam, and I remember him telling me that after awhile on the "Gun Line", they had to withdraw and get their 8" barrels relined. This was always a treat he told me, because they were relined in Sydney, and a liberty in Sydney was well, a liberty in Sydney Smile

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:

No rocking either. Just a bit of a shake. And always remember to roll down the windows on the bridge - that way the don’t get blown in.

The biggest surprise for me and a sound I'll never forget was the sound of every steel ventilation duct on the ship flexing in and out every time a round was fired. I also remember reseating chips on computer boards and the sound of HP air blowing the smoke out of the barrel.

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt Neutron:
Can't remember if I posted these before, but here is the story. About 5-7 years ago, the Gov't had an auction at the Hawthorne Army Depot in Nevada. They had ~25 of the 16"/50 naval gun barrels. One caveat, the buyer had to haul them off. They sold, someone got some good steel:

As a side note, my Brother in Law was on the USS St.Paul during Vietnam, and I remember him telling me that after awhile on the "Gun Line", they had to withdraw and get their 8" barrels relined. This was always a treat he told me, because they were relined in Sydney, and a liberty in Sydney was well, a liberty in Sydney Smile

Uncle Sam might just be asking for them back soon. A one-ton sixteen-inch bullet with 20,090,000 ft pounds of ME energy is an unjammable FoG descending on your sorry ass , no matter how well-made your bunker might be...

tac

Posts: 11320 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Yup,
Lined barrel.
The liner was basically stretched and would often extend past the end of the barrel..
IIRC after about an inche stuck out it was trimmed off and after two time the barrel was relined.
The liner was basically glued on and wouldn't come out when firing.

Many many guns were lined.

If not originally lined, after the barrel was shot out, they were lined...take a look inside a M2HB barrel..seven or eight inches down the barrel you may see a circle-that is the edge of the liner.

Back them it cost too much time and expense to just toss a shot out barrel, so they were re-lined. Faster & cheaper to get the gun back into service.

There is a PMS cycle that controls all aspects of the gun, and after a set number of rounds thru the tube, it's pulled and reworked..The navy and CG all use the 3m system.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
When I got out of the Navy I was in Wilmington NC and got a summer job while in college working on the Battleship North Carolina BB-55.

While I was there Navy reps and Pentagon/spook characters came in to inspect the ship to determine how much work it would be to put her back in commission. I was curious and followed them around as they discussed using the big guns and possibly for other purposes, etc. Cable runs, fire control, logistics, etc were all discussed.

From what I ran across online... and there's probably someone here who was there and knows- the final decision was that the Iowa-Class ships- New Jersey, Wisconsin, Iowa and the Missouri offered more refined designs/capabilities and were in better condition and cost less to renovate and prepare for the mission.

I understand that it was initially suggested to reactivate only two (USS New Jersey and USS Iowa) to satisfy the US Marine Corps need for gunfire support and as mounts for the new Tomahawk cruise missile. The Iowa class had everything the US Navy’s “Tomahawk lobby” could want. They were highly survivable, as fast as any nuclear-powered surface ship, had excess tonnage; and most importantly, were already built. There would be no teething period for their hullforms or propulsion plants; long since proven during WWII. The cost of reactivating them would roughly equal the cost of a new destroyer each. The only foreseen downside was their high peacetime operational costs.

35 kts for a WWII Battleship is not bad, considering.

Greenpeace weasels harass the Iowa

My first department boss in the Navy in subs (XO on Bonefish), was the late John Joseph Chernesky.

He later was the recommissioning Executive Office of the USS Iowa. He was quite a character and a brilliant man.

Reading on how they brought those post-treaty battleships back into service is pretty interesting.

Below is a link where they discuss all of the proposals they had for the project and what happened-

Battleships after WWII

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yup,
Lined barrel.
The liner was basically stretched and would often extend past the end of the barrel..
IIRC after about an inche stuck out it was trimmed off and after two time the barrel was relined.

If not originally lined, after the barrel was shot out, they were lined...take a look inside a M2HB barrel..seven or eight inches down the barrel you may see a circle-that is the edge of the liner.

Back them it cost too much time and expense to just toss a shot out barrel, so they were re-lined. Faster & cheaper to get the gun back into service.

There is a PMS cycle that controls all aspects of the gun, and after a set number of rounds thru the tube, it's pulled and reworked..The navy and CG all use the 3m system.

Years ago, if I remember the article correctly. it stated the barrels had to be refitted after 300 rounds. Does this sound right to you?

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I read an article by a WW II US battleship officer. He said that it was interesting to be shot at by a Japanese battleship. The shell glowed red (visible at night), as a result of the heating caused by the supersonic speed of the shell. Since it was coming almost directly at you, there was little apparent motion – it appeared to be slowly floating. Interesting only if it missed! Despite the tremendous speed, it could be as much as 30 seconds from firing to impact.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rtquig:
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
Yup,
Lined barrel.

Years ago, if I remember the article correctly. it stated the barrels had to be refitted after 300 rounds. Does this sound right to you?

from the website referenced above by rduckwor:

When first introduced into service during World War II, the barrel life was 290 ESR, the lower of the two values given above. At that time, Smokeless Powder Diphenylamine (SPD) was the standard propellant. HC rounds at 2,690 fps (820 mps) were 0.43 ESR and at 1,900 fps (579 mps) were 0.03 ESR. The Target rounds at 1,800 fps (549 mps) were 0.08 ESR. Some unspecified improvements raised liner life to 350 ESR by the start of the Korean War. In the 1967 and 1980s deployments, the use of "Swedish Additive" (titanium dioxide and wax) greatly reduced barrel wear. It has been estimated that four AP shells fired using this additive approximated the wear of a single AP shell fired without the additive (0.26 ESR) and that HC rounds fired with the additive caused even less wear (0.11 ESR). The "Swedish Additive" was issued in a packet that was inserted between two of the propellant bags. Later developments during the 1980s deployment led to putting a polyurethane jacket over the powder bags, which reduced the wear still further. This jacket is simply a sheet of foam with a fabric border around the ends that is tied to the powder bag. When the jacket burns during firing, a protective layer forms over the surface of the liner which greatly reduces gaseous erosion. This wear reduction program was so successful that liner life could no longer be rated in terms of ESR, as it was no longer the limiting factor. Instead, the liner life began to be rated in terms of Fatigue Equivalent Rounds (FER), which is the mechanical fatigue life expressed in terms of the number of mechanical cycles. The 16"/50 (40.6 cm) Mark 7 was ultimately rated at having a liner life of 1,500 FER.

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
The New Jersey was my first choice on my dream sheet out of OCS. It was just coming back on line, reputedly with a half crew.

The company officer at OCS warned me that if I got that duty, I would probably be the 3rd Assistant Forward Coke Machine Officer, and secondly, after going to the expense and trouble of refitting it, there would be very little time tied to the pier.

I didn’t get those orders, of course, but when I arrived at North Island, there was the New Jersey at the dock. I got to know one of the JOs and got a very comprehensive tour.

Too bad!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post