SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think I'm gonna get a Boston Whaler
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I'm gonna get a Boston Whaler Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
If you are thinking about eight people, better get a bigger boat.
Unless you really are a stickman.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1057 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Never owned one, but have been on them a number of times. Ugly, rugged, and reliable. Can't fault you on your choice, enjoy.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lbsid:
If you are thinking about eight people, better get a bigger boat.
Unless you really are a stickman.

He is.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of the best things about Whalers is they hold their value compared to other boats and, as mentioned a few times, are bulletproof.

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
The main reason I'm leaning towards the 18ft Whaler is that I think it might fit in my garage. As sigmonkey illustrated, I'm pretty skinny and don't plan on taking more than 8 people boating for a long time. If the boat won't fit in my garage then I'll seriously consider the 20ft Ventura.

The Scarab 22 would actually be more affordable but it would be a blast at hauling ass and not nearly as fun to wakeboard, tube and fish off of.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21105 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.bostonwhaler.com/f...odels/270-dauntless/

I agree 8 people on an 18 footer sounds close

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Only 8 people?

http://youtu.be/tIoT4Ys9PLk

Maneuvering might be tough though.

Posts: 17884 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Had a 25 center console Whaler at my first unit. The Gulf of Mexico's chop beat the boat to death....it was a great boat but it was very heavy and sluggish to get up on top...we had twin 120 Suzuki's and it might have been labeled to accommodate but only five people or six could fit

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11275 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Only real experience in a whaler was a small one (16' perhaps) a friend's grandfather owned when we were kids. They kept it up in Vermont where we all vacationed on Lake Champlain. Had a tiny 28 HP Johnson that his grandpa designed a steering system for (he built the console, ran cables, pulleys, etc). Small thing but it took us fishing and was enough to pop us up on skis when we were younger. When we were probably all 12-13, two of them took it out when the lake was real rough. As soon as they got out of the safety of the bay the boat shot up in the air on a massive wave, dropped into the lake stern-first about halfway and then popped back out like a rocket. They turned around and hightailed it back in but amazingly nothing broke. So yeah. they're tough. haha

Posts: 2189 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Only way I see us not getting a BW is if we find a boat I've wanted for years, a mid 90's Scarab 22. Cool

The mid 90's Scarabs are cool... and a dime a dozen at the Lake of the Ozarks. But as you already know, they aren't very practical for anything but blasting off and burning a lot of gas.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24102 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be a real contrarian. When we were kids (long time ago) my family had whalers a few different ones all in the 17-25ft category (and bertrams 25' too). As teens we could use them and try as we might we didn't do any damage to them despite all the stupid things kids do.
So when I gave up offshore sailboat racing in 2004 I bought a whaler to bum around in (21ft outrage).
It is the biggest POS that exists. Among the many issues: 1. mercury sucks, don't buy any boat that doesn't have a yamaha outboard. Too many issues to list, cooling, water pumps, fuel injectors, seals, thermostat's.
2. The factory delivered boat had many as built problems -thru hulls not secured at all, every electrical part failed (bilge pumps, electronics, lights, etc.) within a year.
3. This year the deck has decided to delaminate.
Find something better as they are living on the reputation of earlier years.
j

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8 people on a 18 foot boat is really packing them in, just because the boat may handle 8 people doesn't mean you should put 8 people on it. I owned a 20 foot Wellcraft and never felt comfortable with more than 4 people. Boats aren't like cars and the more weight you put on a boat will have a big effect on performance and handling. Go with the 20 footer and buy the largest engine the boat is capable of handling. A under powered boat will be fun the first couple of times you take it out and then you'll get bored with it rather quickly.

I'm looking at a Robalo 227, they normally come with a 200 hp engine but I'm going to cough up the extra money and opt for the 300 hp engine.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post