SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Think I'm gonna get a Boston Whaler
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Think I'm gonna get a Boston Whaler Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted
I've been looking at different boats and as much as I would love to pick up a Baja, Scarab or Fountain speedboat I think I found something more versatile.

I am pretty sure we are going to get a 18ft or maybe a 20ft Boston Whaler Ventura (dual console). I'm leaning towards the 18ft version as it still holds 8 people, is a good size and won't suck up a ton of gas.

Any Boston Whaler owners here? Could be a month or so before we pull the trigger. What are some things to look out for on dual console Boston Whalers? What are some good places to look online for this specific BW model?

With a wakeboard tower it should be quite the fun little boat.

Only way I see us not getting a BW is if we find a boat I've wanted for years, a mid 90's Scarab 22. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
I have an older model Outrage. You can't beat them. I wish when I repowered it I went with Honda or Yamaha engine.

Posts: 1827 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
"Only way I see us not getting a BW is if we find a boat I've wanted for years, a mid 90's Scarab 22"

Always glad to help folks spend their money Big Grin

http://www.boats.com/power-boa...t-scarab-22-5950318/

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
Spent my whole career with Boston Whalers. Ugly but useful. Wish I could afford my own.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
A DR. Girl I dated years ago had a Black Thunder 43, so awesome.
I have never looked at boats the same since.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Olfuzzy, Ha! Nice. I missed out on one in Hampton roads for $2500 that needed a new block. Still kickin myself for not scooping it up.

My uncle had a Scarab CC (32ft I believe) with twin huge outboards and got it airborne somewhere near Fort Story Virginia. My father still swears it was riding that "effing Scarab" that blew out his back. I've always had a fondness for Scarab boats since that wild ride. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
Great little boats, will always get you home! Dauntless series are a great value.

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
The Boston Whaler is a great boat. They won't sink on you even if cut in half. I was never a Mercury fan but I understand they are a lot better than they were in the past.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4015 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My retirement plan is Port St. Joe, FL and a Boston Whaler.

Posts: 474 | Location: Northern KY | Registered: March 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I own a Yacht Management business and have managed a 25'. 27' and 32' outrage for a while and also run a 37' outrage from time to time. Whalers are strong boats, and laid out with tons of ammenities. They're a bit too heavy for their size and on the slow side compared to their competitors...... What really annoys me are a lot of the little parts are Boston Whaler specific so you have to go to the dealer to order them......What do you want to know about whalers?

The newer Mercury's are pretty good. Maintenance costs are high on all of the new 4 strokes. I prefer Yamaha (but they have not been without their share of issues lately). Mercury does a really excellent job at integrating the controls and steering, it literally is like driving a car.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Get the 20...cheaper than buying the 18, selling it, and buying the 20.

Posts: 1351 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Is that like the Green Egg, for seafood?

Or a Southie Regge band?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43881 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beanhead:
Get the 20...cheaper than buying the 18, selling it, and buying the 20.

Same with the 20....

I had a 22, that became a 26...and now I'm not sure I'd ever own anything less than a 28...but 30 looks more ideal. lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Get the Whaler Dauntless if you're going to do any fishing, the Ventura if not...

The rear bench seat is loved by everyone.

Search down here in Florida, if you don't mind towing it home or having it delivered.

I met a guy whose business was buying used BW's from individuals down here, and towing them up to the Northeast to sell at considerable profit.

A Whaler flipper.

Posts: 15892 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look anything like the boat from "Moby Dick." Where do you store the harpoons? Smile

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5292 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Must be small whales around there.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
My family had a couple of BWs, largest a 17' Montauk. They were known as very durable boats, guess they still are.

I'm another that says "Go 20", you'll appreciate that extra length.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I like them. Watch the YouTube vids attempting to sink one. I have thought about getting the tiny bathtub version.

Posts: 17886 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
So what are your requirements?....tow it on the road or leave at marina, fishing, pleasure cruising, water skiing...lakes, rivers and/or salt water.

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post