SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What is digging these holes in my yard?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What is digging these holes in my yard? Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted Hide Post
Who ya gonna call....?

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 45 Cal:
Looks like swamp land,perhaps crawdads.

Crawdad holes would likely be built up a little more. Saw plenty of them on a swampy golf course I used to frequent.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Skunks do that around here in lawns looking for grubs/worms.

Here, too. That would be my guess.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just Hanging Around
posted Hide Post
I'd vote skunk, or raccoon.

Posts: 3236 | Location: NE Kansas | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
Stick your finger in one or two of them and see if they're inhabited.

They look like insect holes to me, based on their size compared to the grass around them. I'm guessing no more than 2" across?

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
stupid beyond
all belief
Picture of Deqlyn
posted Hide Post
definitely not crawfish due to location. It should be noted my grass is already like that cause the dog just runs it down. Here are some better pics with standard close pin to note size. All the holes are the same depth. I did find a dead butt of a bug in a very big hole that is several weeks old but these seem dug fresh while I was at work. Notice the pile around the 3rd image, makes me believe its bugs cause a large hand mammal wouldn't leave fine grains right?

Have heard some cicadas but I've never seen them do that before. The cicadae killers make a nice pretty hole in my front flower beds.

What man is a man that does not make the world better. -Balian of Ibelin

Only boring people get bored. - Ruth Burke

Posts: 8227 | Registered: September 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
The worms are the spice. The spice must flow.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Triffid spores...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 41:
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Skunks do that around here in lawns looking for grubs/worms.

Correct Answer! Smile

I agree.

Posts: 13680 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cicadas leave holes just like that in my yard.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
I would make a bet it's one of these guys...Cicada hawk...they can move a lot of dirt when they dig their nest to store their booty.

At least they are about as "good natured" as a giant wasp can be (unless you are a cicada) Razz

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sphecius_speciosus

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10587 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Neighbor has two skunks that live in his yard, they make very similar looking holes in my yard when they get under the fence. I want to kill them so they don't spray me, but I am in a residential neighborhood, not sure how to dispatch of them. I think they are digging for the cicadas. They ignore me when I see them, so I watch them, very avid diggers.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20821 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bigboreshooter:
Who ya gonna call....?

"Broke into the wrong rec room, didn't ya?"

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Flush the hole with the water hose and see if anything emerges.

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Air vent for a large underground chupacarbra warren! Have you heard of any murders amongst the local goat population?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I'd vote Cicada. I found one of those near the door to the garage at my parents when I was 15. Sprayed some B-12 Chemtool in there and a huge hornet emerged, ass first, from the hole. One of those kind that looks like it has D-Day invasion stripes painted on it. Scared the shit outta me and I set the damn thing aflame.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Neighbor has two skunks that live in his yard, they make very similar looking holes in my yard when they get under the fence. I want to kill them so they don't spray me, but I am in a residential neighborhood, not sure how to dispatch of them. I think they are digging for the cicadas. They ignore me when I see them, so I watch them, very avid diggers.

Wrist rocket - the ultimate SBD.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post