SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Carfax - anyone still have an account?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Carfax - anyone still have an account? Login/Join 
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted
I need to check a VIN for details on a reported accident.
If you have an account and can help me out, please drop me a line - email in profile.

Thanks!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3138 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
You can sign up > HERE

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We had a vehicle totalled. Year or so later, I checked carfax. No record of the totalling, or the accident.......

Two things bring me to tears. The unconditional Love of God,the service of the United States Military,past,present,and future.

I would rather meet
a slick-sleeve private,
than a hollywood star!

Posts: 2334 | Registered: February 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
I looked a preowned certified Toyota with a clean report from Carfax. It had a messed up rear speaker and a good bit of broken safety glass in the trunk.
The same dealer selling the car repaired the accident damage and did they report it to Carfax?

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Carfax is only reliable as the data they receive. The fact that something isn't on there is likely not a Carfax problem. They collect data from repair shops, body shops, dealers, law enforcement agencies, state registration authorities, insurance, and other sources. Most data submission is automated. Sometimes you'll see multiple accidents a couple days apart where the same accident was reported by multiple data sources and the software didn't realize they were all the same incident. Or you'll see a car go through the wholesale and auction process and pick up phantom owners of only a few days or weeks. It's an imperfect system.

In the certified car example above, my guess is the dealer received the car damaged, a state accident report was never done, and they repaired it themselves without reporting it.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post