SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Apple launches AirPods with wireless charging case
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Apple launches AirPods with wireless charging case Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
I’ve been waiting (a looong time) for these. Tired of the damned wires.

“The second-generation $160 AirPods cost the same as the original and are packed with a slew of updates, including better connectivity, a new H1 chip that provides extended battery life and hands-free 'Hey Siri' access.

Apple is also rolling out a wireless charging case for the AirPods that costs an extra $40…”

https://mol.im/a/6830535

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
I'm the exception to most. I hate the way the apple pods & air pods are designed. I can't get them to stay in my ears for crap.

I grabbed a pair over TaoTronics wireless headphones from Amazon. $60 and 30 hour run time (allegedly) and don't have to worry about ear fit. They are still light enough for me to go for a run with them.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Nope I am right with you. I hate EarPods fit. I have from day one.

Course I am not a fan of wireless headphones either generally and I miss my head phone jack dammit.

Now get off my lawn. Smile

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7675 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
I'm the exception to most. I hate the way the apple pods & air pods are designed. I can't get them to stay in my ears for crap.

I grabbed a pair over TaoTronics wireless headphones from Amazon. $60 and 30 hour run time (allegedly) and don't have to worry about ear fit. They are still light enough for me to go for a run with them.

I've had a lot of conversations with people about Airpods, me asking them, them asking me my thoughts on the product. A good chunk of people hate them (maybe 40-50%) and they hate them for the simple reason that they do not fit their ears.

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
Samsung also has wireless charging case for their bluetooth headphones called Galaxy Buds.

Posts: 3375 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
SigForum cost me money again. (I've been waiting for these as well.)

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I’ve been an AirPod user since they first came out and I live mine! I’ll most definitely grab the new version.

Faster switching between devices and hey Siri integration are welcome additions for me.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by myrottiety:
<snip>

Obviously depends on the shape of the outer portion of your ear canals. I find that Apple ear buds stay in place reliably, but bass response drops a bit after I release pressure. I have another brand of wired ear buds with soft silicone seals that make for better bass response, but they’re irritating after awhile.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8934 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
“Apple's AirPower has been seen out in the wild.

Not the actual device, but at least a diagram of the missing-in-action wireless charging pad, according to MacRumors.

A user reported to the Apple-focused news site that they purchased a pair of the iPhone maker's new AirPods 2 and when they inspected the packaging, lo and behold, there was a reference to the AirPower.

Apple hasn't discussed the AirPower publicly since it was first announced in September 2017…”

https://mol.im/a/6852545

Serious about crackers

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Air Pods I bought at Costco a month ago or so for, well, about a month Smile

They actually stay put fairly well for me, if I take the time to seat them well. With enough activity they will eventually work their way loose and, if I move certain ways, will eventually fall out. This is correctable with add-ons, but then they can't just be put back in the case.

As for the wireless charging: Meh. I've only had to put my case back on the charger once in the month I've had these. I can deal.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I finally bought a pair of Apple Bluetooth AirPods II today. $160 for the version that charges the case with a USB-Lightning cable. Didn’t need, or want, the more expensive version with wireless charging.

Absolutely wonderful device! I was damned tired of the wires. Fidelity seems better than the wired ear buds that came with my iPhone X – especially bass region.

They stay securely in place, for me, at least.

Serious about crackers

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Love my AirPods, but they have been replaced twice under warranty. Latest set seems to work well. They stay in my ears well. But when I'm on a plane, I'll use the rubber connector, since it's then almost impossible to retrieve one if it falls out while sleeping or if I drop it.

Posts: 3522 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Being an Android person Smile I'm lucky I don't have to worry about Apple Earbuds, which is good, because I really don't get the hype for these things. They rate low in virtually every comparison test, primarily due to sound quality. I have an old pair of Jaybird wireless waterproof buds with Comply memory foam tips, and they wear well, sound pretty darn good, and cost about half what the Apple Earbuds do. Each to their own I guess.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I finally bought a pair of Apple Bluetooth AirPods II today. $160 for the version that charges the case with a USB-Lightning cable. Didn’t need, or want, the more expensive version with wireless charging.

Absolutely wonderful device! I was damned tired of the wires. Fidelity seems better than the wired ear buds that came with my iPhone X – especially bass region.

They stay securely in place, for me, at least.

You’ll love them. I’ve had mine since they were first released and I use them every time I go to the gym and they have NEVER lost pairing even once, unlike cheaper wireless earbuds I’ve owned.

Buy once, cry once.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3963 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
None of the apple earbuds I’ve ever tried will stay in my ears; I’ve tried every conceivable angle of attack and they just want to wiggle out. I did try my kids Beats X earbuds and they stay perfectly for anyone interested in a viable alternative.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15559 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bigdeal:
Being an Android person Smile I'm lucky I don't have to worry about Apple Earbuds, which is good, because I really don't get the hype for these things.

You don't get the hype for them because you're an Android person. They are like every other piece of Apple kit: They just plain work. As for sound quality: *shrug* They sound good to my ears.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve been using the Apple AirPods II for a couple of weeks now, and I LOVE ‘em! Good fidelity, and the range is more than I expected. With my iPhone X in my bedroom, I can walk to my kitchen and still get perfect reception. 30’ away, with two intervening walls.

I was surprised to find that Bluetooth has a reverse link – my iPhone knows when I open the neat little AirPods recharging case, and then reports the charge state of both earpieces and the case. At least, I suppose that the reverse link is Bluetooth – might be some other wireless protocol.

The earpieces run for several hours on a single charge, and the tiny case has enough battery capacity to recharge the earpieces several times. The earpieces and the case recharge very quickly.

NO DANGED WIRES!

Serious about crackers

Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
The range on Bluetooth is supposed to be optimal up to 33 feet but I've gone about twice that distance with my Airpods. I, too, have the second gen.

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post