SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Home brewers?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Home brewers? Login/Join 
posted
So last fall we made 14 gallons of hard cider. All gone
5 gallons of turnip wine, still going.

This week i have moved over to beer.

5 gallons of Klosch, Belgian White, and Octoberfest.

The beer is my wifes idea of barter material.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
My wife and I used to brew beer all the time. We would brew 4 to 6 Five gallon batches a year. We did not have a lot of room for storage so we would wait till we had more room for storage.
The last couple of years we have been more into hand gun and rifle competitions and just have not had the time.
We need to start brewing again soon.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I sometimes make stuff myself, but I leave beer and automobile tires to the commercial producers.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8945 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've been making mead for the past several months. It's all been good stuff and pretty easy. I have a gallon of apple made with cider, a gallon of just straight mead, and a gallon of Flathead Cherry cold crashing in the fridge right no ready for bottling.

Posts: 11164 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Have an American Pale Ale in the fermentor now, debating what next...

Posts: 11360 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
I used to brew on the regular. The last one was an Altbier. Unfortunately, having a child and a lot of family events/issues, I haven't been able to brew in about 5 months.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
I've got 2 gallons of mead, 1 gallon of spiced chai wine, and 1 gallon of moscato finishing up in the closet.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BradleyS
posted Hide Post
I have often thought of brewing beer. Do y'all brew for the enjoyment of the process or is there an economic advantage in brewing your own beer?

Isaiah 6:8

Posts: 618 | Location: Salisbury | Registered: July 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BradleyS:
I have often thought of brewing beer. Do y'all brew for the enjoyment of the process or is there an economic advantage in brewing your own beer?

Both. It's a great time to get together with friends/family and involves a lot of beer drinking. Depending on the recipe, I would say the average bottle is $0.50. Much better compared to your local store where they are $1-2 a bottle.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just learning. So we bought the prepackaged 5gallon packs.

That comes to 640 ounces.

Or about 50 beers.

The kits range in price. Out of the three, it brings it to 75 cents to $1.20 per 12 oz bottle.

Pot, bottles, chiller, and other bits probably run 100 to 125. Keg, co2 and tap probably another 125.

So far though, we like the making of ours, and the time drinking.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
You can get into brewing pretty cheaply but it's also easy to spend money, just like any other hobby.
I started kegging fairly early due to the ease of it, now I'm switching from using carboys to a conical fermenter. Again, because in the long ron it's easier.
I need to rebuild my keezer though.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Home brewing is not for everyone, but if you like to cook, drink beer, and have fun, it's great.

If you're in a bigger city they probably have a club or two. Or just go to your local fermenter supply shop and talk to the employees.

There are lots of ways to brew beer and the recipes are up to your imagination.

Start off simple, keep things clean, and document what you did (keep a journal) so you can reflect back on right & wrong.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There's so much good beer here in Richmond, it has completely killed any desire I have to buy non-local beer or brewing my own.

I did it about 10 years ago with a buddy of mine and it was fun but with the craft beer revolution since then, hard to justify.

Posts: 3468 | Registered: January 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scurvy:
There's so much good beer here in Richmond, it has completely killed any desire I have to buy non-local beer or brewing my own.

I did it about 10 years ago with a buddy of mine and it was fun but with the craft beer revolution since then, hard to justify.

Well, when I'm brewing regular I can have 4 taps (1 is nitro) in my kegerator all stocked with variety of beer and hard cider for pennies on the dollar as compared to retail. My 5 gal. batches are between $20-$30.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I haven't brewed beer in a long time, but I used to do it a lot. I still have all of the supplies and equipment for it. I just need to get back into it.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've got a Red Ale and a Honey Kolsch both ready for bottling this week. I've got a Brown Ale on deck.

Half of the batches I'm doing right now are promised to a contractor but that still leaves me with two cases.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would compare it to reloading. It is a hobby that you can spend money on, but you can also save in the long run. But the real reason is the satisfaction you have when you take a drink of a beer that you made while looking at your target that you shot with your own ammunition.

Posts: 437 | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks all, you made my wifes day. She spebt the day getting biopsies done for BC. This was a treat for her to read.

Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Do you guys brew from grain or use the syrup.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 9mmnut:
Do you guys brew from grain or use the syrup.

My wife and I do partial mash brewing. Part grain part malt extract.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2571 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post