SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight loss, again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight loss, again Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I think a lot of us are in the same boat. Some wise person once told me "you only have to resist it once at the store". I got up to about 216 six weeks or so ago and that was as heavy as I had ever been. I am 6 feet tall and 185 or 190 would be a good weight for me. I was buying a bag of small candy bars and got into having one for dessert after each meal. One of the things I have done is to quit buying the bag. If it's not in the drawer, I can't eat it. I've made other changes too. I've lost about 10 pounds so far. I hope it keeps going!

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
I almost never weigh myself. I learned long ago that muscle weighs more than fat, so tipping the scales could be misleading. Same with the body mass index (BMI). What I use as my gauge is how my clothes fit. Belt too tight/small? Time to ease up. Belt or pants saggy, time to bulk up.

I certainly can't speak for everyone. I spent several decades distance running. That alone allowed me to eat pretty much everything I wanted without worrying about weight. I'm now not as active, nearing 67 with a bum hip/knee, but I continue to stay active and don't find it necessary to count calories.

By the same token, old habits die hard. I don't drink alcohol, sugar drinks or eat fried/fast foods. I also lean toward the "healthy" cuisines: Mediterranean (Greek, middle eastern), Central American (rice, beans, fruits) and Asian. I also tend to "graze," eating the customary 5-6 meals a day rather than three big meals. I'm never hungry.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am just about ready to take all of my savings and head to a fat farm for 90 days,

all my weight related problems need a drastic
re-calibration , and that ain't
gonna happen if I have to deal with my currant life style.

so,
get pennyless and get on the right track , purge all the b.s.

or stay financially semi fluid and waddle around ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvWvfCSZ8M

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54626 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
I try to stop eating by 5pm ... 16-18 hour fast is even better.

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I am just about ready to take all of my savings and head to a fat farm for 90 days,

all my weight related problems need a drastic
re-calibration , and that ain't
gonna happen if I have to deal with my currant life style.

so,
get pennyless and get on the right track , purge all the b.s.

or stay financially semi fluid and waddle around ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZvWvfCSZ8M

If you take the basic steps of eliminating soda, candy, and junk food, you'll find there is a money savings there as well as a good chunk of useless calories gone. Alcohol is also a cost and calorie savings.

Try small changes that are easy to stick to. first eliminate all the junk, then work on controlling portions of what you eat.

An occasional candy bar or soda, or occasional evening of a number of drinks, is OK, but the key is that regular eating of sugary food and drink doesn't occur, and minimal alcohol.

I really like bread and cheese, so unless I get nowhere, those will remain part of my diet. Portion control is key. Frankly, bread can go if it needs to, but what is life without cheese and beer?

During my weight loss, I have continued to eat butter, whole milk, bacon, and various meats. Fat is important, and you need to eat it. Aside from the fact that "fat is flavor," fat and meat protein give us what we need.

I have nuts and peanut butter for a light breakfast, after 10am, then more than a snack than a lunch of nuts around 1pm. Then a normal dinner of whatever. Pasta, pizza, anything, just not a lot, and with a side of some kind of vegetable.

Frankly, nuts are a great snack, and contain healthy fats and oils, can fill you up and give you energy without deep impact on calorie consumption.

I made my own custom nut mix, because if you just get store bought, some of the filler nuts are gross.
Almond, Cashew, Pecan, Macadamia, some peanut, and then some sunflower seeds as well.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
You need roughage, don’t forget, and smoothage, too. The best source of smoothage is bacon, as nearly everyone knows.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zimman20
posted Hide Post
I've lost about 25 lbs in the last year or so, also got tired of my pants not fitting me. Down from about 190 to 165. For the last couple of months I'm hovering between 165-170, I've found that at ~6'0" anything less than 165 and I start looking too thin...

Arc is hitting all the ways I did it. Cut out junk food, eat nothing after dinner/before bed, no sugary drinks and I don't drink alcohol at all. Cut out the bread almost entirely (it's poison, by all accounts - and it's amazing how much bread we Americans eat)...and finally, portion control. My wife is Italian and can cook.her.ass.off. Had to stop going back for seconds - wait a little bit and I'd find I was full, my stomach hadn't caught up with my brain.

No snacking between meals is another biggie. The other is to drink plenty of water, I've found that helps.

That's not to say I don't have a sandwich on bread at times, maybe once or twice a month I'll have ice cream. Once in a blue moon I'll have some cookies after dinner. IOW - I'm not living on a prisoner diet, I'm in control of what I'm putting into my body. I eat everything my wife cooks, and it's varied - I'll eat pizza (two slices instead of 3-4)....

I feel better, my breathing (I've got asthma since a kid) is better...my clothes fit better, I think I look better at the lower weight.

Good luck to all who struggle with this, as someone (maybe Arc) said - this is about a lifestyle change, not a brief period of time where you binge-diet or punish yourself to get to a certain weight - and the behavior that got you there is simply unsustainable. Cool

--------------------------------------------------------------
zman

P229 SAS
Sig 1911 STX

Posts: 936 | Location: Stanley, NC | Registered: September 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I went low Carb.
All the meat I could eat (chicken, meat,fish)
All the veggies I could eat (made big batches of "soup" with spinach,chicken,carrots,turmeric, pepper, salt, and anything left in the fridge, Cooked it up and then vacumn packed it in daily servings to take to work.
NO fruit or bread.
Everyday I would grab a pack of "soup" and a vacumn packed serving of meat and go to work.
I lost about 50# in about 5 months.
I got off this diet and gained about 50# right back.

Posts: 4623 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
I weigh what I want to weigh currently.
At 5'9" , in Feb I weighed 168, right now I weigh 150. This was due to fluid buildup, as I had serious kidney problems, extreme hypertension, and kidney failure.

This was corrected May 5th, when Interventional Radiology found out the stent I had installed last June, was blocked preventing my right kidney from functioning properly. My BP went from 190/90 to 90/50, which is actually too low.

I weigh every morning and keep a record of any unusual weight gain beyond +- 2 lbs. i still take BP meds, although not as many as previously, but still take diuretics, which has kept fluid and weight off.

I do no want to gain that weight back!

From waist size 36 to waist size 32!

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
One side benefit was getting rid of something I'd done for years, which was buying lunch. It started in the union and the convenience of the "roach coach."

Then, for many moons it was just easier and less boring to buy lunch.

Well, buying lunch is ridiculously expensive, and you often get more food than you really need.

It's among the not-so-accidental savings of getting rid of other foods. Such as energy drinks. Worse than soda by a longshot, and more expensive.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
Good on you Arc. Not seeing your junk in the shower reminded me of a joke. A man steps out of the shower and his wife says, honey you just have to diet. He says, why what color is it now?
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1683 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
Yeah the cost savings is huge.
I don't buy expensive beer anymore, but then again I started buying bourbon and whiskey instead so no cost savings there.

However our grocery bill is half of what it was per month. And my lunch bill at the hospital cafeteria went down too by almost half. I usually have whatever protein they are serving with veggies or a mixed greens salad.

When we eat out, no more appetizers or desert or soft drinks, so that cuts the bill down by a lot. Also I'll get a smaller portion meal because not only can I no longer eat the volume of food that I used to but it also costs less.
A six or eight ounce sirloin is a lot cheaper than a 14 oz strip or 24oz porterhouse.

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
I have an eating problem. And I’m short.

I’ve lost, and kept off, 27 pounds in the last 3 years. I want to lose another 30.

Keto has been working for me. I get to eat, and am not constantly starving.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
....My wife is Italian and can cook.her.ass.off. Had to stop going back for seconds - wait a little bit and I'd find I was full, my stomach hadn't caught up with my brain.

My GF also is Italian, diabetic II and loves Pasta, too.

I buy Japanese Buckwheat pasta which is a bit expensive, but doesn't boost her blood sugar and she doesn't have to carefully watch her portion intake.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post