SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Weight loss, again
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Weight loss, again Login/Join 
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted
So, quite some time ago, I was mired in a bunch of crap, and really over a series of years, between both traumatic life events and outright injury, I'd put on some pounds. I had tired of this, and the behaviors that fueled it. Not the least of which was excessive drinking. At that time, I quit drinking temporallily and made some basic diet changes, and got down to 208, which is almost college weight. About ~75lbs in total I was tired of carrying around went down the drain.

Well, this recent pile of BS at work, or should I say my former workplace, had pushed me towards bad habits. Thankfully that's been eating poorly. My tendency to drink to excess under stress did not return. Which I'm thankful for.

So, now I've got to drop 25lbs, and while I'm at it, I'll try to get under 200, but I may not be able to, due to muscle mass. The first go-around was only dietary changes. This time, I'm back at the gym, and back to boxing for cardio.

I'm not in it to get ripped, but I wouldn't mind. Construction has kept me strong but not cardio fit, though health-screening wise I'm no longer in the risk pool. During my first "diet," all my bad cholesterol numbers normalized and so did my blood pressure.

I remember thinking when I was really big, that two things really bothered me:

- Not being able to see my junk when I stood up straight in the shower

- Worrying my wife felt like she was trapped under a car when we were amorous.

All of the elements of my "diet" weren't so much a diet as simple changes. Like, no more soda. One of the big ones, was just eat less. I didn't really stop eating "bad" things, I just ate less, and added some food that food eats, aka vegetables.

Not drinking lots of alcohol was key, both because it has its own calorie content, but I was staying up late stressed out, drinking, and also snacking. Bad habits to be sure. So other parts of the "diet" that I still stick to are no calories before 10am or after 10pm.

This time around, I know I can do it, so it is easier to do the necessary steps. The hardest part is breaking a bad cycle. Because food is delicious, as well as alcohol, and both of them affect brain chemistry. It's all about the dopamine.

What is also different now, is that I have a few weeks off before I start my new job to decompress, and work on my house. So I can start there and KILL IT.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
In case anyone was confused why I posted this, it's just to say that "diets" are always going to be short term and while you might see change, it will evaporate when your behavior changes.

Best thing to do is look at what you can do, or not do that takes the least effort, first. Such as giving up soda, fast food, that sort of thing.

The second thing would be to not beat yourself up for bending the rules, or punish yourself for breaking them. But, anything that results in "bingeing" should not be considered a viable strategy.

For some of us, or maybe all of us, weight loss may not be a temporary state but a continued effort. Old age as some of us know, slows the metabolism. Regardless of age, the human body is designed to use energy efficiently and store as much as possible. Our technological and societal advances have outpaced how we evolved to survive.

I don't want to be the next Jim Fixx, I just look at the psychological and wallet cost of excessive consumption and it's nothing but destructive. At least, to me and my life.

Arc.

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Good luck Arc. I am starting the same process for the same reasons.

Junk shouldn't live in the shade!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12776 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
My principal tool to prevent weight gain is my SECA 876 bathroom scale. It’s accurate, with perfect repeatability. I weigh myself every morning. If I’m over my self imposed weight limit it’s diet time. But it’s never a severe diet because I never let my weight get more than a pound or two over my limit. Constant vigilance!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8949 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
A guy named Jeff Novick made a lot of sense to me about the caloric density of different foods. Changing my eating style was much easier than trying to follow another on again off again diet.

When you watch the caloric density of the foods you eat, you will eat enough of the right foods to feel satisfied. Good luck.

Link

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
I recently shed a bit over 15 pounds and everything you said is exactly right.

About anybody can lose weight, all it takes is wanting to badly enough.

The hard part is KEEPING it off, and that requires lifestyle changes and as Pipe Smoker said, constant vigilance.

Some years ago, I shed 40 pounds in 90 days, 225 down to 185. It didn't stay off because I went to extremes to pare the weight off and couldn't maintain that much will power.

I had gotten back up to 216 when I said "enough!" All it took was portion control and cutting out the between meal meals (aka "grazing" every time I passed the fridge). No changes in WHAT I ate, just how often and how much.

I weigh in every Sunday as soon as I get up. If I'm so much as an ounce over 200, I pay strict attention to snacking until I get back down.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15227 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of crash
posted Hide Post
It's not your fault. You're just big boned.

"If the wind is not against you, it is not blowing."

Posts: 1281 | Location: Down East | Registered: January 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you have a good handle on the challenges. Moderation is the key. Try protein shakes as a meal replacement (saves muscle) and cutting off intake after 7pm. Good luck

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by crash:
It's not your fault. You're just big boned.

I'm only big boned when I've been a bad, bad girl.

quote:
Originally posted by Censored:
Try protein shakes as a meal replacement (saves muscle) and cutting off intake after 7pm. Good luck

My past experience with protein shakes make me wonder if I want to fart that much. Even though my rule is 10pm, the only thing I eat after ~7pm on my plan is one beer or whiskey.

Not eating close to sleepy time. Key.

Arc.

Bone 4 Tuna
Picture of jjkroll32
posted Hide Post
As it sounds like you are aware, sustainable changes is what it's all about.

I'm rooting for you.

Health and wellness are two things to be treasured that make the aging process a little easier. Folks that continue to be active (both with their minds and bodies) tend to have a much better quality of life in their 7th, 8th, and 9th decades of life that I've encountered in my training.

NRA Life Member

Long Live the Super Thirty-Eight

Posts: 11145 | Location: Mid-Michigan | Registered: October 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good move, OP..

Last January I joined the fitness center across the street from me when my medical insurance plan decided to fund the contract.

I go three times a week. Cut back on bread, chips, most dairy and avoid fast food. Eat lot's of salad and veggies and small portions of each.

Lost 10 lbs so far.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arcwelder76:

I don't want to be the next Jim Fixx,

I had to snort at this. I was into running 5 miles a day working my way from barely being able to go around the block winded. Did it while I was weaning myself from smoking. Had his book. I just remembered the lemon flavored water drink he recommended as I'm writing this.

Then I developed shin splints and I heard he died of a heart attack while jogging. Even recently in my neighborhood, woman recently retired and wanted to become healthier so she started jogging. She died from it... when a car jumped the curb and ran over her.

But I get what you're saying. And I'm glad you did even if only to prod me also.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19659 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
I’ve recently, in the last year discovered single malt scotch 14-21 year old
How often did you have drink putting on the lb’s?

I have about 6oz 3X a week and my pants are getting tite!!!

________,_____________________________
Guns don't kill people - Alec Baldwin kills people.

Posts: 1308 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I’ve recently, in the last year discovered single malt scotch 14-21 year old
How often did you have drink putting on the lb’s?

I have about 6oz 3X a week and my pants are getting tite!!!

About $400 a month in mostly hard liquor and some beer. Not at a bar. For years.

Arc.

so sexy it hurts
Picture of agony
posted Hide Post
A few months ago I felt terrible. Hypertension, chest palpitations, paresthesia in my hands, tired all of the time. Peeing 20 times a day. Yeah, I was on the verge of full blown diabetes, and it finally scared me straight. Started eating keto on Valentine's day. Since then lost 33 pounds. I have 17 more to go to hit my goal weight.

I've always been a yo-yo-er when it came to my weight. I was never little, but could easily shed pounds with hardcore dieting. However the weight would always come back quickly. This time, doing the keto thing, eating minimal carbs, and eating twice a day has been extremely easy. I switched from my usual smorgasbord of carb-laden IPA and porter beers to Miller Lite/Mich Ultra and whiskeys, and never to excess.
All of my previous symptoms are gone.
I'm starting to incorporate cardio with fast walking and hiking. I won't run again as my knees are shot.

For the first time I know I can sustain this lifestyle. It's so much easier than when I was low-carbing 5 small meals a day with vigorous exercise. I was always hungry then and the desire to cheat was high. Not anymore.

Keep at it Arc!

"You have the right not to be killed..."

The Clash, "Know Your Rights"

Posts: 26978 | Location: Westizzle Virgizzle | Registered: December 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are doing strength conditioning in the gym as well as cardio - a scale is not a good measure of progress. Count belt loop holes and gauge the way your pants fit. Big Grin

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Good luck to you.

I found it to be a marathon, not a sprint.

Since February 14, I am down 10% or 24 lbs.

My Doc could not believe the improvement in my blood work and vitals.

I cannot believe I went from busting out of a 38 waist, to a loose 36.

I changed what I eat. I eat less red meat, more fish and chicken. I eat salads for lunch, many with meat on them.

I eat carrots and celery every day instead of the 2 Snickers bars I use to eat.

I drink, but have tried to limit it to the weekends.

I drink lemon water in the evenings throughout the week.

I also exercise 4-5 times a week, for 60 minutes. Primarily eliptical, treadmill, bike and rowing machine.

If I can do it, you can too, I promise.

I swear there is nothing more satisfying than using the next hole in your belt.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36840 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Syngin1066
posted Hide Post
I went to college late in life. Worked full-time and went to school at night. Would get home at about 11:30 at night. That meant I ate on the run between work and school and it was usually crap. Didn’t really have time for exercise. In three years I put on at least 40 pounds. It’s been about five years since I graduated. I go to the gym every day, and I’m careful with what I eat. I’ve lost 55 pounds and manage to keep the majority of it off. I found that it’s all about what I eat versus how much I burn at the gym. I’m up to running 4 miles a day, six days a week along with weight training. I’ve cut out soda, most alcohol (only vodka, no mixers), and definitely fast food. I look at my graduation pictures and can’t believe how big I got. It’s definitely a struggle and a commitment. Both my dad and grandfather died in their 40’s due to heart issues and drinking. I decided that I wanted a different path. Good luck Arc.

All I've had all day is like six gummy bears and some scotch...

Posts: 4851 | Location: Celina, TX | Registered: February 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You've got this! Lean meats & lots of veggies.

Like guns, Love Sigs

Posts: 1211 | Location: Battle Born | Registered: December 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Good for you arc. I’ve lost 58 pounds on a low carb diet I started a year ago in March. I just had my annual physical a couple of weeks ago. My A1C was 4.3, down from 5.4 and I was able to come off blood pressure medicine. I have more to go but I’m much happier, healthier, sleep better, less back pain... it’s all good.

For me the results are well worth giving up carbs.

Posts: 12921 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post