SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Phone day - Probably buying an iPhone.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Phone day - Probably buying an iPhone. Login/Join 
sick puppy
posted
I've been an Android user since my first smartphone about a decade ago. My wife has always been an iPhone user. I finally upgraded to a mac laptop after Dell repeatedly fucked the dog with warranty and such. And now I'm in the immediate market for a new phone... and I'm seriously considering going and buying an iPhone today. I'm undecided between the 8 and the X, but since I'm used to the big screens, I'd want an 8plus - and the X's screen is bigger than the 8plus in a smaller total package. The x seems like the "logical choice."

My wife'll never let me hear the end of how excited she is that I got an iPhone finally, and how i'll love it, and if I make any remarks about how good it is, I'll be hearing "I told you so"s for the next 20 years. but to be completely honest, she's right.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
Whichever one you decide on enjoy it.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rockchalk06
posted Hide Post
I've been with Apple from the beginning to the 4S. I left and came back with the 6. I'll probably never leave again. They just work. I have an iMac, Macbook Air, iPad Air, Airpods and Apple Watch. The whole damn clan all works together like some Unicorn fairy dust magic. Plus, Apple basically told the Government to eat a dick when they wanted a back door program to get into suspects phones. As much as I love all their liberal hippy attitudes Roll Eyes , they do give a damn about privacy.

Keep in mind on the X, there is no fingerprint scanner. I upgraded from my 7+ to the X. Facial Recognition is cool as shit and very secure. Mine has never let me down when I stared straight at it. As long as you are wearing a pair of polarized sunglasses, it will work with them on. I set it up with only my contacts. It works with them, my Polarized glasses and my thick prescription glasses just fine. Take my contacts out, and no go. It's that sensitive.

I do have two complaints on it over the fingerprint scanner.

1: I fish all the time. The Sun and me don't get along so I wear a UV Buff with Polarized sunglasses and hat. Even though its skin tight, it will not unlock the phone. It's a PITA to use my 6 digit code if I need to unlock it.

2: If you are driving, you can't just unlock your phone with a finger to make a call. You have to look directly at the phone. This takes my eyes off the road completely for a split second which I don't like. For this reason, I have my X Sync'd with my Ram and use my airpods so I don't have to take my eyes off the road.

Other than those two gripes, I love mine. It's like texting with the Plus size screen, but doesn't look like I have an iPad mini in my hands.

Posts: 1363 | Location: OK | Registered: April 13, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I replaced my old WinPhone with a Google Pixel II. I'm not so happy with Android because you need to fiddle with it to make it nice. OTOH, my wife's iPhone seems to do everything I want it to right out of the box. I kind of wish I would have went down the Apple path.

Posts: 7551 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I'll be going with the iphone x. I figure if I get the best I can, I'll be satisfied with it longer. I'm the only android user in my family right now and I get ribbed regularly about how glitchy it is. Nice. I'd already have my own if I hadn't bought everyone else's! Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29696 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I replaced my iPhone 5 with an iPhone X a couple of months ago, and just LOVE the X. The OLED screen is so easy on the eyes, and facial recognition is super nice. Every high-end phone will have facial recognition in two or three years. The X has it now.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8952 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save an Elephant
Kill a Poacher
Picture of urbanwarrior238
posted Hide Post
I got the X wife got the 8 with the thought that when time came for upgrade, she would get my X and me the 'new' one. I wish now that we BOTH got X's. X is so much easier to use, bigger screen and don't have to mess with the fingerprint scanner so much.

Highly recommend the X

'I am the danger'...Hiesenberg
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1376 | Location: Escaped from Kalifornia to Arizona February 2022! | Registered: March 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
I still have a flip phone, bought it for $14, and it was exempt from CA sales tax (out of compassion for the needy). The family all have I-thingeys. They say I will be committed to the asylum if I don't upgrade.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The facial recognition feature is great.
I find that when I go to an app that I frequent and need to sign in it kicks in and voila !! I’m in.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Love my X. It integrates so well with our iPads, MacBook Pro and wife’s iPhone 6.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
I just switched to an iPhone last year, about a year ago. It was to an older iPhone at that because I got it new for $180, it's the SE. It was a learning curve at first but I'm glad I did it. Now I can't see myself going back to an Android.

Posts: 13111 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You'll love it.

First order of business is a good case as they are slippery little buggers.

I have the Magpul Bump case in OD green and like it a lot:

Magpul phone cases

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Sprint has a half off deal on the iPhone X if that’s your carrier. We went to the X after over three years with our old phones. Mostly satisfied. Occasionally the face recognition is not as convenient as the old fingerprint method though.

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
It sure is nice when I’m sitting at my MacBook Pro and the phone rings, to just answer the call without finding the phone. Nothing to setup, it was working automatically.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8217 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
And I have been really happy with these glass screen protectors. No major hits but so far no pocket scratches etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Protect...zoJl4GjNL&ref=plSrch

Posts: 17887 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
You’ll love the X.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been with Apple forever. The best thing is that you can conect the whole family now on iTunes and the app store, and each time someone buys an app, everyone gets it. you can even set it up for automatic download.

Posts: 514 | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Yup, I really love my X. It's been outstanding. Great camera, love the OLED screen and wireless charging is awesome!

I also highly recommend Apple's silicone cases for a sure grip. They fit great and really allow a secure hold.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I know what I like
I like what I know
Picture of Mark in Michigan
posted Hide Post
PorterN,

Last November I decided to buy an iPhone after years of using an Android. I chose the X and like the other replies above, I love the damn thing. Wireless charging being just one reason.

Whichever iPhone you decide to buy, get a damn case for it, especially the X as it has a glass screen and a glass back. I keep mine a completely clear case from Spiegen.

Good luck with your decision.

Best regards,
Mark in Michigan

Posts: 502 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: December 29, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have the iPhone X and I love it, bigger screen smaller package. I have small hands, but can reach across the screen one-handed, which is a big one for me. My 8+ was not so agreeable.

Get a good case for it and enjoy!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post