We have used the drive on style for storage

We had over 80 of them when I sold off the car collection about 8 years ago

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5179 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Wow. A guy can dream. . .

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:

Wow. A guy can dream. . .

So, what was in this collection? I see what looks like a Supra (edit, on 2nd look, maybe a NB Miata), what was under the covered ones?

On topic, I'd love a quickjack, maybe when the budget is there for it...

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15268 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Another two post lift guy here.
When I built my shop about ten years ago I was just interested in maintaining my Porsche race car but ended up using it for all the extended family vehicles.

I got an 8k lift and if I could do it again I would go larger so I could lift my F-350...

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down With The Sickness
Picture of Sclass
posted Hide Post
I have a Snap-On mid rise lift in my garage. (Made by Wheeltronic) Works great with my standard ceiling height. Whichever way you go stick with one of reputable brands mentioned in this thread. Lots of videos of knock-off lifts failing before reaching their rated weight capacity.

Posts: 659 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: December 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
The puck things or whatever they are called are not expensive and work. I had to buy different ones for the BMW and Camaro.

The quick jack looks like what will work in my limited space.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8010 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
Comment on installation. Mine is a 2-post 13,000lb Rotary. My business also installs jib cranes and overhead cranes so we have some experience. Concrete minimum was 4" and we had 6". I installed most of it with some manpower help in steps. Also had a scissor lift and forklift to help. Installed it in a day. If I had it at my house I don't know if I would move it when selling; if the buyer really wants it, it will likely stay. If he is not a car guy he may want it out.

Posts: 1769 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I built a number of hot rod cars and Harley's over the years. A good lift is cheaper than knee surgery. Do your due diligence. Most lifts are now manufactured off shore but sold through USA distributors. GREG SMITH has numerous branch stores and an excellent source for lifts for every use.

My first lift was a commercial grade two post FORWARD MANUFACTURING 9000# asymmetrical which worked great for several frame off car builds. My second lift was a SUPERIOR 7000# four post lift. I could do just about anything on it as I could with a two post. My third was a BENDPAK 9000# four post. I liked the redundant safety mechanism which requires an air compressor. It was built just prior to them moving their manufacturing overseas. Their current lifts are narrower than previous lifts and in my opinion, current BENDPAK four post lifts are not as good a deal as previous USA built lifts.

I need a wide lift for my C7 Z06. I bought my current four post lift from GREG SMITH. It's an ATLAS 9000# which is extra wide and extra long. The powder coat finish is beautiful. Unfortunately, in my current garage I cannot lift it to full height, but like I said, cheaper than knee surgery.

Make sure your lift is at least ANSI tested. That's an independent test of what a lift is maximum rated to. I would recommend a 220v which is quicker and more efficient for daily use. Four post lifts generally don't need to be fastened to the floor. I had 3x3x3' footers poured beneath my two post lift uprights during the shop construction. Overkill, but you can't be to safe. Most lift failures are operator error.

I did not fasten my three four post lifts to the floor as I had caster kits enabling me to move the lifts around my shops. The floors were 4" thick, steel reinforced with 3000# concrete. An engineer advised 6" thick wasn't necessary as long as the four post lifts were not fastened to the slab. They were all very sturdy w/o fastening. Some manufacturers just spray paint their lifts. The better ones are powder coated, often available in many color choices.

Check with your home owners insurance. Ours said that as long as the lift was installed professionally, no issue. All of mine have been professionally installed. The lifts were delivered to the distributor, picked up by the installer and delivered to our home(s). It's not rocket science to assemble, but the weight of the lift components will require multiple people with tools and ability to raise several hundred pounds of runways and posts.

Our insurance company did warn about allowing it to be used by others that will want to use it. The liability could be huge. In my current small shop, no one would suspect I have such a lift inside.

Know your lift capabilities. Establish a safety zone until you insure the lift is down on the locks before getting under it. Make sure anyone in your garage is aware of your rules when using the lift. You'll be under the lift with tons of vehicle above you.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: az4783054,

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:
Rotary 2-post lift; should have done it decades ago.

Rotary lifts are great. Did you have professional installation? Would (and could) you move it to another garage if you had to relocate?

Yes, I paid $400 to have it installed; I was the "helper", and now that I've seen one installed I could easily do it myself. It would relocate easily, but at 68 I'm not going anywhere. It's a Rotary SPOA 10 (asymmetric 10,000#) I lift a C2'vette, the Bullitt Mustang, Mazda3, BMW 440xi , BMW 550xi and a Ram 1500 crew cab. I have 16'2" ceilings, so I ordered the lift with extended height as I'm 6'2"

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master-at-Arms
Picture of apf383
posted Hide Post
Tagged.

Foster's, Australian for Bud

Posts: 7494 | Location: Stuck in NY, FUAC  | Registered: November 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Resurrecting an old thread. I have a lead on a four post Direct Lift which is an import, home hobby lift. The seller bought two, installed just one, and the other is just lingering on a trailer still in its original crate. He paid $2800 and is offering $1850.

Tempting. It fits in my single car. Yes, it's 110v but I don't anticipating lifting it multiple times each day.

I'm price point sensitive Smile Later I can add the sliding jack tray that will allow me to do suspension work.

I can't afford the high end stuff (yes, I know you get what you pay for), but this is likely good enough.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aileron:
Rotary 2-post lift; should have done it decades ago.

If that’s your phucking garage what does the house look like ? Big Grin

Who gives a phuck? The garage is all-important...

Sig P226 .40 S&W
Sig SP2022 9mm
RIA 1911 Gov't .45
...and more

Posts: 719 | Location: Maryland | Registered: April 30, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I purchased a used Perfect Park 7000 four post lift. It's about 14 years old and is US made. It will do well for my hobby needs.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Russ59:
I purchased a used Perfect Park 7000 four post lift. It's about 14 years old and is US made. It will do well for my hobby needs.

P229

posted Hide Post
I would have loved a 2 post, but my garage ceiling height prohibited it, as well as not knowing the floor construction and thickness of the concrete flooring.

So I purchased a Snap On mid rise scissor lift. The thing works great and I have no worries about actual weight capacities etc. I have worked on cars, vans, trucks and even a m/c and mowers with it. You can't do everything on every vehicle, such as dropping a tranny on some cars due to the platform being in the way. I have the older solid deck, new versions have a cutaway deck allowing a little more access. The solid deck is nice for m/c and mowers as you can raise the project to a comfortable level and use the platform as a benchtop.

The biggest issue for me is my car is lowered, and I had to build drive on ramps out of 2x12's to allow the car to drive over the lift. The ramps can be in the way if the car is not on the lift. I leave the car parked on the ramps so not that big of an issue. If you had to move the ramps every time it can be a pain.

Tony

Posts: 312 | Registered: December 18, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
I plan on purchasing the "QuickJack" system for my Corvette. I have seen them at the track and they work great. ~$1200.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-...rtable-car-lift.html

I want one of these so badly, first I need to work on either getting a garage or redoing my driveway to make it flat.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20808 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
I plan on purchasing the "QuickJack" system for my Corvette. I have seen them at the track and they work great. ~$1200.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-...rtable-car-lift.html

I want one of these so badly, first I need to work on either getting a garage or redoing my driveway to make it flat.

I have a Quickjack and use it often. It is a great tool but you're still on your back working. I'll be upgrading to a four post lift later this year. Being able to sit/stand under the car to work is a huge benefit when you're not a kid any more and stuff starts to ache on a good day! Still, I'd highly recommend the Quickjack if you know that's what you want/need.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I put in a 2 post lift about a year ago, I wish now I had done it years ago.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6483 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post