New
Find
Notify
Tools

Garage Lift Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted
Anyone here have a lift in their garage? Have been doing research and think I want to go with a scissor type mid rise lift with swing out arms. Any thoughts/experiences? Thanks!

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m not familiar with the scissor style. Link?

If you’re looking at the swing out arms, I assume you’re interested in working on it and repairs versus storage from a four post lift. I’m daydreaming of a four post for my single car garage. After spending 10+ hours on my back and knees doing my Civic’s clutch, I really want a lift. I’d like to store my 59 Imapala overhead and daily under it.

From my limited research, there are plenty of quality Chinese imports in the $2-3k range. A Made In America four post is $6k.

P229

Posts: 3809 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Type of vehicle, what sort of work are you planning, and how much space do you have?

BendPak midrise scissor lift would be my choice in that category but you are limited to 6,000 pounds. This gives you the openness to still do work down the center of the vehicle.

A scissor lift with swing out arms inhibits you from doing much in the center of the vehicle. Quite the pain especially if you are 4wd.

By scissor lift with swing out arms I presume you mean this style.

This is a much more versatile style of scissor lift.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Woke up today..
Great day!
posted Hide Post
I am spoiled, I put a Rotary two post in my warehouse. Justified it with the need to service 3 trucks. I use it all the time and it has spoiled me.

Posts: 1768 | Location: Chicagoland | Registered: December 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Rotary 2-post lift; should have done it decades ago.

Posts: 1472 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
I have the bendpak 4-post with scissor lift. Should have done years ago.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
I plan on purchasing the "QuickJack" system for my Corvette. I have seen them at the track and they work great. ~$1200.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-...rtable-car-lift.html

Posts: 518 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigmoid
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by aileron:

If that’s your phucking garage what does the house look like ? Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: sigmoid,

________,_____________________________
*** Wanna make everything electric? Start with the border wall.

We all live for a little while and then die sooner than we planned.
Your way
or
YAHWEH

Posts: 1300 | Location: Idaho | Registered: July 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I wanna go home
Picture of jeeperxd
posted Hide Post
I have a quick jack for my Dodge Viper and it works well. Some scissor lifts have cross members which makes it difficult to roll around or remove parts.

Posts: 1199 | Location: Pa | Registered: December 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Censored
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lunasee:
I plan on purchasing the "QuickJack" system for my Corvette. I have seen them at the track and they work great. ~$1200.

https://www.quickjack.com/car-...rtable-car-lift.html

I am so close to a QuickJack for the 997.2. I like to portable 12V option so that I can take them to the track for wheel changes. I can also raise all four of our cars using the same lift. Costco has them (5000SLX) for $1099. 2-Post would be great but I would have to change my current garage door set up around.

Posts: 2223 | Location: United States | Registered: February 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Concrete strength is important with lifts. Also important is the ability to position the vehicle in the garage so that it is balanced on the lift.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5041 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
Concrete strength is important with lifts. Also important is the ability to position the vehicle in the garage so that it is balanced on the lift.

I overbuilt the garage - I’ve got 6” of 4000” concrete reinforced with rebar, vapor barrier and styrofoam insulation for the floor. 11 foot ceiling and lift master garage door openers that keep the doors closet to the ceiling when open. My dream was a 2 post lift in one bay and a 4 post storage lift in the other. Then I started buying guns . . .

Posts: 606 | Location: Between here and the end of the line | Registered: November 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by aileron:

Rotary lifts are great. Did you have professional installation? Would (and could) you move it to another garage if you had to relocate?

Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
Type of vehicle, what sort of work are you planning, and how much space do you have?

The fleet currently consists of a Mid-Year Corvette, Audi S7, Tahoe and a Honda Odyssey. Need something to make brake and suspension work easier. I hate jack stands.

With the paddle or platform style you linked, do you use frame adapters or pucks between it and the car? The Odyssey in particular has a prominent lip along the frame that makes using a floor jack or jack stands a royal pain.

Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I used a buddy's midrise scissors lift to do an oil change on my 911 once and it was a nightmare. Would have been easier to use a jack and jack stands. Not worth it at all. Go big or go home.

Posts: 3493 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

There are tons of threads on lifts at The Garage Journal forums, price, selection, installation, etc.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10778 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

The fleet currently consists of a Mid-Year Corvette, Audi S7, Tahoe and a Honda Odyssey. Need something to make brake and suspension work easier. I hate jack stands.

With the paddle or platform style you linked, do you use frame adapters or pucks between it and the car? The Odyssey in particular has a prominent lip along the frame that makes using a floor jack or jack stands a royal pain.

I have not been under an Odysessy but presume you are referring to the pinch weld.
In that case you will need a pinch weld adapter.

Though being that you have a Tahoe in the mix if you want a scissor style lift I would go with the Quickjack as their max is rated for 7k pounds. That with the truck/suv adapter kit for 3 more inches of height will you around $1800.

I’ll likely get one eventually. It is just in a line behind more necessary purchases.
I don’t have room for anything else unfortunately.

————————————————

Ammoholic
Picture of Tgrshrk99
posted Hide Post
quote:

Though being that you have a Tahoe in the mix if you want a scissor style lift I would go with the Quickjack as their max is rated for 7k pounds. That with the truck/suv adapter kit for 3 more inches of height will you around $1800.

I’ll likely get one eventually. It is just in a line behind more necessary purchases.

Interesting. The price is certainly right and from the videos on YouTube it seems sturdy enough.

Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tgrshrk99:
quote:

Interesting. The price is certainly right and from the videos on YouTube it seems sturdy enough.

I have no personal experience. A few folks have posted in here and another thread a while ago I started asking about them specifically with all positive responses.

I don’t have room for any posts so I am limited that way along with ceiling height.

My next door neighbor has the maxjax as he is ceiling limited as well.
https://www.maxjaxusa.com/buy-...maxjax-car-lift.html

He has no qualms putting his Lamborghini or other nice vehicles up on it to work.

————————————————

posted Hide Post
I purchased a 4 post lift for my workshop many years ago. It has been a wonderful improvement, and my body thanks me for doing it. Mine can be put on rollers and moved around, but I have never had a need to move it. All kind of maintenance and repairs are sooooo much easier with my lift!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post