SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage Rates, Wow
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage Rates, Wow Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
We sign tomorrow morning on a VA IRRL, dropping to 2.9%. Even though we just refi’d a year ago the rate drop makes it worth it.

16 months with the lower rate and the costs are covered.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10930 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never had a mortgage.
But
People talk about variable and fixed and balloons.

Many of the posts above do not use those terms

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54612 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
We're all discussing fixed rates.

A variable rate loan doesn't make much sense at this point, because there is really nowhere for rates to go but up. These are the lowest rates in modern history.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
Friendly advice from my banking friend...be careful of those low, tempting rates. Be sure to read the fine print. They often come with VERY expensive fees and add-on cost. For example, I saw 2.75% advertised from Chase, my current bank and where my friend works. She told me that rate came with VERY high fees and it wasn't worth it unless my current mortgage was really high, which it isn't.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Last year we took on a 30 year at 4%.
Wells Fargo has offered 3% to stay with them. It appears closing costs will be minimal, 2%. I have asked for the appraisal fees to be waived which will get it down to the 1.5% range. The monthly savings will pay off the closing costs in 16 months.
I think I’ll take the 3% even though I wish I could score a 2.5.

Closing costs of 2% on a refi is highway robbery. Not sure where you are at, but locally a refi under $510,400 (delineation of Jumbo) maxes out at 1.31% for a 2.875% 30 year when you include the .5% rate buy down. This assumes you have at least 25% equity.

Posts: 8711 | Registered: January 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Friendly advice from my banking friend...be careful of those low, tempting rates. Be sure to read the fine print. They often come with VERY expensive fees and add-on cost.

That may be true of some lenders. And I could see it being more likely on refis.

But my new purchase 2.25% USDA loan only has standard closing costs and lender fees. In fact, my lender had slightly lower in-house fees by a few hundred bucks than any of the 4 lenders that I shopped around with, along with having the best interest rate by anywhere from 0.25% to 1.5%, and by far the best communication/service... Benefits of a small local bank vs. large national banks.

(Besides, all my closing costs are being paid by the seller/builder anyway. Wink)

And yes, that's the par rate, meaning no points or other extra outlay required to get it.

So no gimmies or gotchas here. Just reaping the benefits of historically low interest rates.

Posts: 32495 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 280nosler:
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
Last year we took on a 30 year at 4%.
Wells Fargo has offered 3% to stay with them. It appears closing costs will be minimal, 2%. I have asked for the appraisal fees to be waived which will get it down to the 1.5% range. The monthly savings will pay off the closing costs in 16 months.
I think I’ll take the 3% even though I wish I could score a 2.5.

Closing costs of 2% on a refi is highway robbery. Not sure where you are at, but locally a refi under $510,400 (delineation of Jumbo) maxes out at 1.31% for a 2.875% 30 year when you include the .5% rate buy down. This assumes you have at least 25% equity.

Thanks for the comparison. I’m in Cottonwood AZ. I’m at approx 32% equity. Back to the banking lady I go.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by erj_pilot:
Friendly advice from my banking friend...be careful of those low, tempting rates. Be sure to read the fine print. They often come with VERY expensive fees and add-on cost. For example, I saw 2.75% advertised from Chase, my current bank and where my friend works. She told me that rate came with VERY high fees and it wasn't worth it unless my current mortgage was really high, which it isn't.

Yeah I saw the thread, and called my loan guy who I have known for 15 years. He did the first loan on the house and my refi's so I trust him. We went over what I owe on the house (payoff), and my mortgage which is actually pretty low per month comparatively. He said due to the low amount I owe, the already low payment he advised against refinancing due to fees, etc. I'm at 4.125%. I told him I wanted to refi, and get about 50k out of the deal for remodeling. His opinion was to do a heloc instead. After going over what I owe, current rate and monthly mortgage, and how long I want to be here (max 10 more years) that's what we decided. I'm at around 60% ownership.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12623 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Save today, so you can
buy tomorrow
posted Hide Post
So I don't create another post that is related to this topic... please allow me to ask these questions. I have never refi our house (owned for 5 years now, of 30 year loan). We would like to pull out some cash for some house projects. Currently 5% fixed rate (No PMI).

1. What are the questions I need to ask our bank? (points, fees, etc.). What is it about in layman's term? I also heard about "break even" on the associated fees.

2. What does it mean by "buying points"?

Posts: 1884 | Location: Las Vegas | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Can remember good old days(1969) when 7 1/2 was sweet and you also needed a decent down payment.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder. I looked at it about 2 months ago but was gun shy because I thought the rates might dip a little more.

They did. I locked in a 2.5% 15 year loan today. Dropping our rate by 3%, dropping 10 years off the term, and getting out of a PACE loan that was much higher interest without paying substantially more monthly.

Posts: 6361 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The website I used several years ago was bankrate.com.
You will want to use the annual percentage rate (APR) and not just the interest rate to compare different lenders.
What's the difference? APR is the annual cost of a loan to a borrower — including fees. Like an interest rate, the APR is expressed as a percentage. Unlike an interest rate, however, it includes other charges or fees such as mortgage insurance, most closing costs, discount points and loan origination fees.

Posts: 723 | Location: Alabama | Registered: October 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:
Can remember good old days(1969) when 7 1/2 was sweet and you also needed a decent down payment.

Eek

damn.

Posts: 13097 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I just punched through the prompts on Lending Tree and got a response of 2.25% with 2 lender points on a 15 year fixed. Same lender as I was attempting a 2.75%/20 back in March when pandemic things were really starting to heat up and the wheels came off...

That's over a point reduction and would shave about 5 years off my mortgage.

Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
After locking in my 2.75% rate the day I started this thread (April 30) we finally closed today. 2.75% for 15 years. I am not interested in financing the closing costs over 15 years so I paid all the misc costs up front. If we make our same payment as we did on the existing loan I'll have it paid off in just over 11 years. Need to be disciplined on that one.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1967Goat:
After locking in my 2.75% rate the day I started this thread (April 30) we finally closed today. 2.75% for 15 years. I am not interested in financing the closing costs over 15 years so I paid all the misc costs up front. If we make our same payment as we did on the existing loan I'll have it paid off in just over 11 years. Need to be disciplined on that one.

Yup. You did well my friend.

0:01

Posts: 4207 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
quote:
Originally posted by wxl:

Eek

damn.

You could probably have gotten 5% on passbook savings then. It really got crazy in 1981 when mortgage rates were in the 17% range.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5685 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
First house I bought was in 1978 and my loan was 8 3/4%. Bought my fruit stand property in 1981 owner financed @ 9% and felt like I'd made the deal of the century.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I locked 15yr at 2.5% no points today. No plans to move and at the very least we will save $10k in interest over the life of the loan.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by doublesharp:
First house I bought was in 1978 and my loan was 8 3/4%. Bought my fruit stand property in 1981 owner financed @ 9% and felt like I'd made the deal of the century.

Yeah, it's interesting to look back at mortgage rates for the past 50 years, with the average being around 7-10 percent, but with multiple spikes into the teens in certain years.

http://www.freddiemac.com/pmms/pmms30.html

Really hammers home what an amazing opportunity it is right now, with the lowest mortgage rates in the past few generations.

And I can't imagine trying to buy a house in 1982 at almost 18% interest!