SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mortgage Rates, Wow
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mortgage Rates, Wow Login/Join 
Shit don't
mean shit
posted
I am currently 8 years into a 20 year mortgage at 3.875% I've been keeping an eye on rates, but they've been volatile as heck. My mortgatge is through US Bank and I've been happy with them. They don't sell mortgages they underwrite if that's any concern. Anyway, I got a quote today for 2.750% for both a 10 and a 15 year. If you're in a position to re-fi, can't beat current rates!

US Bank Rates

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some interesting reading here on where mortgage rates *may* be heading.

https://themortgagereports.com...va-usda-conventional

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ol' Jack always says...
what the hell.
posted Hide Post
Last week we locked in at 3.25% for a 30 year fixed.

Posts: 10188 | Location: PA | Registered: March 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
Recently locked @ 3.375 / 30 yrs no points w 60-day float (if it goes down, we can get the lower rate) for refi -

Full 1% lower than this time lsat year when we bought our house.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I closed on a mod to my current 30 year at 3.125 last month, zero points/fees other than the ~ $1,000 VA fee. Didn't reset my term either.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
My mortgage person just emailed me, I am locked in at 2.75% for 10 years. WOOT WOOT!

Posts: 5759 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Buy high and sell "low"
Picture of archerman
posted Hide Post
To all of you people who are smarter than i am about this, if my loan is at 5.25% and I have 18 years left on my loan, would it be worth doing a refinance to 3.25% on a 20 year loan, or would it be even better to do to a 15 year at 3,25%?

Archerman

Posts: 2483 | Location: N. Idaho | Registered: February 26, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by archerman:
To all of you people who are smarter than i am about this, if my loan is at 5.25% and I have 18 years left on my loan, would it be worth doing a refinance to 3.25% on a 20 year loan, or would it be even better to do to a 15 year at 3,25%?

YES!!!

If you can afford your current payments, you could get into a 20yr fixed, and pay the extra and end up paying it off early.
The particulars will be with the amounts you actually owe, but it's absolutely worth talking to a loan officer to find out.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3352 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
quote:

I sent you an email with a calculator in Excel. There are also tons of online calculators.

My **guess** is you could probably go to a 15 year with roughly the same payment. I'd try real hard to go to a 15 over a 20. Since you have 18 years left, there's a good chance you can do 15.

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Geez. I was really happy to land 30-year fixed at 3.25% back in mid-March. When we closed on 3/23, my broker was telling me that he couldn't even get underwriters to call him back b/c of all the early stages of the panic.

Now I'm thinking I could do better. LOL.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
We just signed at 3.0% for 30, a drop of 7/8 for us.

Posts: 13231 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Just refi'd through Chase for 3.125 APR for 30 years. Paid .22 points; just appraisal and title insur fees.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks to this thread, I contacted our mortgage guy. I can drop to a 20 year (I've got 26 years left on my 30 year) at 2.99 and only pay $62 more per month. Shaves six years off my loan and saves $54K in interest.

P229

Posts: 3823 | Location: Sacramento, CA | Registered: November 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m stuck in the middle, 13 years left on a 15 year loan at 3.125%. Current rates don’t justify us refinancing.

Posts: 187 | Registered: April 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
What’s the closing fees...

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7903 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
We locked in at 2.75% for 15 yrs. last week, zero points and loan origination of 50 bps. We'll knock it out in 10-12 yrs., but save about $30k in interest over the current 30 yr. fixed we'd still knock out way early.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knowing is Half the Battle
Picture of Scuba Steve Sig
posted Hide Post
My wife's coworker tipped us off to a local bank he locked in at 2.5% on a 15yr with 0 points, I missed it when the world went upside down and rates skyrocketed. We are currently 7 yrs in on a 30yr at 3.625% with US Bank. I tried to get US Bank to price match and they basically said they couldn't touch it then, they were around 3% plus. A month or so ago I caught the 2.5% with 0 points for 15yrs with that small bank again and we are set to close in a week or two.

Posts: 2513 | Location: Iowa by way of Missouri | Registered: July 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
One of the problems with the current refi boom is that banks are so busy, the turn around times to close are beyond a 60 day lock. My folks recently refi'ed and my mom referred her loan officer to me. I couldn't get the guy to call me back or respond to an email. I gave up after few weeks and went to my credit union. I've been with them for 25 years and it still feels like I'm doing them a favor by calling them. They are busy.

Posts: 3518 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
I haven't dealt with mortgages in many years. What the best online resource these days to compare rates, fees, etc when shopping for a 15 year fixed refi for example?

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Kraquin
posted Hide Post
quote:

I have never done this after reading or hearing something but after reading the above I choked on my coffee.

Do the 15.

Posts: 391 | Registered: December 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post