SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    need new safe advise
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

need new safe advise Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
I will need a new safe for the new house w/i a few weeks as closing is close at hand.

The smallest doorway to traverse is 29 1/2" I know that the dial or handles can be removed for getting thru doorways...

I have been looking at a Liberty Franklin 35 that will make it thru the openings

It measures 60 1/2 tall by 36 wide and 32 deep (w/o the handle it fits thru 29 1/2) and weighs 800 lbs, and i plan to secure it to the concrete slab. Oh the skin is 11 ga...

can anyone point me to a differing brand with the same size but maybe it a better safe?

my old safe was a Liberty 25 and we had it in a closet under some stairs and we lagged it to the flooring...but I figured since I was getting a new one, I might as well get a bigger safe...

Thanks!

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
What price range did you want to spend within?

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
https://www.snapsafe.com/

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They will build them to your specs. I bought one and the door is so tight to the jamb I can't even get a thin knife blade in there. No way to get a pry bar in there.Check out some reviews online.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

Posts: 12655 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The smallest doorway to traverse is 29 1/2" I know that the dial or handles can be removed for getting thru doorways...

Unless it is a custom size, that sounds like a 2'8" door (32"), with the door attached but in the open position, which cuts down the opening size. If so, take to door off the hinges and you'll have a 31" opening.

Posts: 10782 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
What price range did you want to spend within?

Under 3k....

quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:

Unless it is a custom size, that sounds like a 2'8" door (32"), with the door attached but in the open position, which cuts down the opening size. If so, take to door off the hinges and you'll have a 31" opening.

The measurement I gave is from the stops... I will remove the door from the opening

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
The vast majority of gun safes will fit through that opening, but be careful which number you are using. There tend to be three numbers: The depth of the body, the depth of the body plus protrusions (usually 1.5" to 2" for hinges, handle hub, and dial), and the assembled depth (includes handles which tend to flare outward from the safe.

You will generally move the safe from its side, so you'll be most interested in the middle number. Even if that number is tight, it will only be snug where the protrusions exist.

Liberty tends to advertise the most, but if you compare specs isn't always the most for the money. For comparison I would look at the Champion SR-40 and AMSEC NF6036 off the top of my head. I'm sure I could come up with a few more later. These two are going to be roughly the same size and weight as the Liberty, and both under your budget.

The Sturdy mentioned above is a good option if you aren't interested in fire protection or a fancy appearance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: a1abdj,

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I've had a Franklin 35 for almost 20 yrs,

excellent safe, no issues, and actually easy to move, (brother and I moved it twice with just a dolly, )

I took out the center support between the 2 sides that you use for rifles, and added a second shelf, (made from a piece of plywood)

If I had to buy another, it would be the taller version of the same safe

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10417 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I’ve been very happy with the Fort Knox I bought. Has been trouble free, great warranty.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Take the door casings off first. Gain a few inches of clearance. Buy 30 inch safe.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bought a 239 magazine for $10, got banned for free.
posted Hide Post
Have had a Browning Pro Steel for over 25 years. The largest at the time. About 1000 pounds, 72 inches tall. Really good safe. But don't let safe ads fool you. A thief (professional) will NOT try to get in through the door. He will cut through the side with a 4 inch grinder in about 3 minutes. The door ad thing is smoke and mirrors. Look at gun safes in a store and see the 1 inch thick doors. They look like nothing could get in. But most of the time they are just sheet rock wrapped in thing layers of sheet steel. Most gun safes are rip-offs. Buy one that has a door frame that the locking bolts goes through. Not just behind a jamb. If you research gun safes you will know what I am speaking of. JM2CW

Posts: 279 | Location: West TN | Registered: February 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Biggest I can get in my house is a Liberty Centurion 24. Worth it or is there something far superior in that size I should look at instead?

Posts: 13740 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
crazy heart
Picture of mod29
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
They will build them to your specs. I bought one and the door is so tight to the jamb I can't even get a thin knife blade in there. No way to get a pry bar in there.Check out some reviews online.

https://www.sturdysafe.com/

Here's another vote for Sturdy safe company.

American made, no-nonsense, supported dead-bolts. And no middle-man.
I would suggest the standard finish, along with the 'most popular' steel upgrade and a mechanical dial lock. And the fire insulation.

Good luck. Sturdy builds one hell of a gun safe.

Posts: 1781 | Location: WA | Registered: January 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 45_Auto
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Fort Knox. I have had one for 30+ years with zero issues.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
A Veteran is someone who wrote a blank check Made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'Up to and including their life'.
That is Honor. Unfortunately there are way too many people in this Country who no longer understand that.

Posts: 2306 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post