SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Things to do, eat, visit while in San Antonio, TX Login/Join 
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
What, no mention of Rudy’s?! I haven’t been back to San Antonio in a while, but I always enjoy stopping at the Rudy’s on I-10 just outside the north part of town. I always get the moist brisket so they don’t cut all the fat off, and the creamed corn. I don’t eat creamed corn anywhere but Rudy’s.

Also, if it is still there, I always like Fujiya up in the medical center area. Good Japanese food.

Lots of pretty views out in the hill country if you just want to take a scenic and spirited drive. SR337 is generally a pretty scenic drive.

Depending on the weekend, the San Antonio sports car association might be running an autocross if you feel like beating up your rental car.

-Bret

That is the Rudy's in Leon Springs. It is good barbeque.

The Rudy’s in Leon Springs and on Westover Hills and 151 are both company stores, far and above the franchised stores you find elsewhere. I know folks talk bad about Rudy’s, but those two are the exception.

Congrats to your daughter as well. I used to work shoots out at there at the National Shooting Complex when I was in college, great facility and folks.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your daughter for making the Nationals with her team.

Sons Of Liberty Gun Works.
https://sonsoflibertygw.com

Posts: 908 | Location: TX | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Sons Of Liberty Gunworks! They’re in San Antonio.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Get some good Tex-Mex food.

That will not include the restaurants on the river walk. They have a nice location, but mediocre food. Try the Blanco Cafe, but there are good ones all over the place”

I concur. “Mi Ti’s” and the other Riverwalk restaurants are primarily tourist joints. The Blanco Cafe at 1720 Blanco Road is the real deal. Just a couple miles from the Alamo. I recommend the “Soft Mexican Dinner”. They put out a really good assortment of breakfast tacos as well. On handmade tortillas. They’ll be crowded for breakfast after 9am on weekends.

Posts: 26852 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slide up north on I-35 from SA and eat some good German food at Krause's in New Braunfels.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wandering, but
not lost...I think
Picture of brywards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sadlerbw:
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
As a former resident of S.A.

Alamo Cafe for Tex-Mex.

Oooooo! Good suggestion! I had a co worker that would put butter all over the fresh tortillas and wrap them around whatever he got. Tasty, but deadly!

- Bret

Only go to the location off Hwy 281 (I don’t recommend the one off I-10)

Posts: 2715 | Location: West Texas | Registered: January 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rainman64:
As a former resident of S.A.

Alamo Cafe for Tex-Mex.

If you go to the Alamo stop at the Menger Hotel next door.
Go to the Bar, Teddy Roosevelt gathered rough riders there, and there are pics and history throughout.
I stayed in the Menger Hotel in 1991--nice place.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I usually go to dive Mexican places. There are also some higher end ones which can be good. Rosarios downtown is good, I didn't care for the one up north, as much.

Bolhners sells the best beef I've ever eaten, but you'll have to cook it yourself.

If you make it to Lockhart, Smitty's Pork ribs are some of the best things I've ever eaten.

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aglifter:
I usually go to dive Mexican places. There are also some higher end ones which can be good. Rosarios downtown is good, I didn't care for the one up north, as much.

Bolhners sells the best beef I've ever eaten, but you'll have to cook it yourself.

If you make it to Lockhart, Smitty's Pork ribs are some of the best things I've ever eaten.

If you go to Lockhart, make a barbeque day of it and eat at Black's and Kreutze Market, too. Lockhart may have more really good barbeque in one place than any other town.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Sorry for not responding sooner. Been traveling. We will be getting there tomorrow night. Thanks for all the suggestions!

Posts: 1343 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ftttu
posted Hide Post
If you want THE best charbroiled chicken breast and I think their chicken fried steak and chicken fried chicken is highly rated too, go up 281 a few minutes to highway 46 there in Bulverde. Turn right and go a couple of miles, and on the left, you will see Richter's Antler Cafe. The food and the restaurant itself is well worth the visit.

Retired Texas Lawman, now active reserve

Posts: 1160 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 03, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redleg06
posted Hide Post
Good Time Charlie's, on Broadway. Great CFS, burgers, etc.

https://www.gtcsatx.com

"Cedat Fortuna Peritis"

Posts: 1975 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: June 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PD:
Schilo’s Delicatessen

Best German deli anywhere. Best German beer on tap. Best sandwiches. My first stop when visiting San Antonio.

This x 100

Their breakfast menu is outstanding.

Posts: 4493 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
The wife and I will be heading to San Antonio for a few days, we are picking up a British Blue kitten.

Any area members have updates on the info in this thread?

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I've always been Crazy!
kept me from goin Insane!
posted Hide Post
J-Prime steakhouse is extremely good.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A 'Veteran' -- whether active duty, discharged, retired, or reserve -- is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America,' for an amount of 'up to, and including his life.' That is honor, and there are way too many people in this country today, who no longer understand that fact.
Author unknown

Posts: 2179 | Location: Lyndon,KS | Registered: November 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
^^^

Swede, you might stop by Nagles Gun Shop they are an old family run shop, that you dont see as much any more.

About a block's walk from the Alamo is La Panaderia, a great Mexican bakery, it is a DDD restaurant (Diners/DriveIns/Dives).

Another DDD place is Ma Harpers Creole Kitchen, its by FT Sam Houston.

For steaks try The Barn Door Restaurant and Meat Market. An old school family owned steakhouse located in the middle of a neighborhood, close to Dury's Gun Shop.

Hope you have a great trip.

HK Ag

Posts: 3495 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
https://www.aldinos.com/

1604 @ Blanco. Very good Italian if your gonna be on the NW side.

Posts: 3580 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
San Antonio is one of my favorite towns …

Alamo
Mengher Hotel and Bar
River Walk
Mexican Market (walk south from the River Walk)
Mission Tour (5 missions and fascinating tour. Also a World Heritage site. See the only remaining aqueduct in the US…to my knowledge)

Give Sea World a pass and instead take a day and go to Fredericksburg, TX. Pacific War Museum and Nimitz home. Live action amphitheater demonstrating a pacific beach assault. Fantastic.

In the other direction take a day trip and to either Goliad or Shiner, TX.

Go for barbecue. It’s closer to Austin but The Salt Lick is one of my most favorite places.

When in downtown locations, keep your wallet secure from crooks scanning your credit cards. Ask me how I know…

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
We had an excellent two night trip to your fine city, thank you for the tips.

We arrived on Sunday afternoon and checked in to our hotel, Townplace Suites near the riverwalk. We then walked to the Alamo and walked around for a while, after that we went to the Menger, really neat place. We had a couple of drinks, we were getting hungry and asked the bartender for a recommendation on supper, he said Boudro's on the riverwalk. I had the blackened redfish and the wife had their grilled prime rib, both were on point. We then took a boat tour on the river. Heading back towards the hotel we stopped at Devils River distillery and had a drink, a cool place with a nice vibe

The next day we hit Schilo's for a late breakfast, yumm. Walked the riverwalk some more, shopping and a Warstiener at the Prost Haus and an arf & arf at Durty Nelley's. We walked to Mi Tierra for supper, it was really good but I regretted it later, heartburn

Had breakfast at the hotel and then wandered out to explore a bit more. Stopped in Schilo's again, the wife wanted a spiked root beer there. She also got some split pea soup and I had some deviled eggs and then it was time to head to the airport to meet the cat breeder and head home

I know we only saw a small portion of San Antonio but what we did see was very cool and we will definitely be back

A small theater on the riverwalk, La Villita is right behind it, we bought a couple pieces of silver jewelry there

At the Menger bar, some Rough Rider memorabilia in the back ground

Posts: 5299 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:

then it was time to head to the airport to meet the cat breeder and head home
Where are the cat pictures?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30544 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post