SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Verizon hoping to use US Navy radio bands
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Verizon hoping to use US Navy radio bands Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Engineers from and some of its top tech suppliers have been huddling in a small room at the carrier’s test facility in Irving, Texas, for the past few weeks staring at results pouring in on their laptops. At stake is one of Verizon’s big bets to alleviate a coming spectrum crunch that could slow its wireless network in many parts of the country.

After opting out of last year’s federal airwave auction in the 600 MHz band, Verizon is looking for other ways to offer customers more bandwidth. The Irving test is focused on a new segment of airwaves being opened to the wireless market in the 3.5 GHz band and known as Citizens Broadband Radio Service, or CBRS for short…”

https://finance.yahoo.com/news...1.html?.tsrc=applewf

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
Who’s vernon?

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think Pipe Smoker got autocorrected into oblivion.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Who’s vernon?
He's a freeloadin' sumbitch, that's who!

Posts: 107580 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I think Pipe Smoker got autocorrected into oblivion.

Correct. And thanks. I fixed it.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8951 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I thought we were talking about some guy who makes ginger ale.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 2BobTanner
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
Who’s vernon?
He's a freeloadin' sumbitch, that's who!

Jim “Ernest P. Worrell” Varney knows Vern. Wink

---------------------
LGBFJB

"Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on, or by imbeciles who really mean it." — Mark Twain

“Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.” — H. L. Mencken

Posts: 2699 | Location: Falls of the Ohio River, Kain-tuk-e | Registered: January 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
3.5 mhz will work fine for small cell applications....but not for true macro sites....and let's see it burn through any type of tree...shrubbery ....paper Roll Eyes

All the carriers are going great guns to small cells to better their use their reuse patterns while supplying the bandwidth needed. While easier to build they are very much a hassle when it comes to permitting etc.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
3.5 mhz will work fine for small cell applications....but not for true macro sites....and let's see it burn through any type of tree...shrubbery ....paper Roll Eyes

All the carriers are going great guns to small cells to better their use their reuse patterns while supplying the bandwidth needed. While easier to build they are very much a hassle when it comes to permitting etc.

Most of the high-speed cellular data bands are between 1.5-3 GHz. I doubt 3.5 GHz would perform that differently.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:

Minor nit: GHz not mhz.

3.5 GHz NLOS has been well studied for (non-USA) WiMax use, with a ton of academic papers out there, some with real life measurements in urban, suburban, rural and forested environments. You may find that this wavelength does better than expected in an urban environment since we don't all live in totally enclosed screen-rooms. There's a small window, door, hole or slot someplace.

That said, as you get higher and higher into the GHz range, the radio waves do tend to act more like a flashlight as opposed to what most people think of as radio.

As for the Navy's use of these bands. I have no idea how this would impact the Navy. They ain't just boats and ships these days. I would tend to tell VZ to fuck off until the Navy gives a solid OK.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post