SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Looking for Legal Advice
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Looking for Legal Advice Login/Join 
posted
Id rather go into greater detail in private, but th gist of the situation is I sold a vehicle privately, and placed a lien on the title. The buyer has since not made a payment in about 2.5 months, and I'm weighing different options. Most communication has been via phone/text, and my next step is probably going to be a certified letter.

Thanks in advance!

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In any business transaction, assessing the other party is the most important step. I have made mistakes in this regard on more than one occasion. A lawyer would probably ask if there is a written contract and go from there.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
I sure hope you placed a "lein" rather than a lean, otherwise you're out a few more bucks. Razz

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeGLI:
I sure hope you placed a "lein" rather than a lean, otherwise you're out a few more bucks. Razz

Or, maybe, a "lien". Razz

Q

Posts: 26352 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Siri does not know the difference.

Posts: 17226 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
Siri does not know the difference.

No she does not. Corrected.

----------

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
Here in Missouri, major lenders would repossess the car after 90 days. High risk lenders much sooner.

You're the lien holder. Pennsylvania is a self-help state. Go and get it. Wink

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post

Hire this guy.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
The OP needs a Pennsylvania lawyer as the rules can vary quite a bit from state to state.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You do not mean a Philadelphia lawyer do you?

Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
The OP needs a Pennsylvania lawyer as the rules can vary quite a bit from state to state.

Yes, please consult a PA attorney before taking additional action on your own. There may very well be laws that you are unaware of and once you start doing official-looking things, like sending certified letters and whatnot, particularly depending on the contents of the same, you may end up harming your interests in ways that you can't possibly anticipate.

If you walked into my office, the first thing I'd want to see would be proof of the lien and a copy of the contract.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16268 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:

LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! Big Grin

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Just out of curiosity, how much money are we talking about?

Posts: 9495 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If this person is not paying you, you can bet the car is uninsured as well

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4223 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
LORD HAVE MERCY!!!! Big Grin
How many times do we have to tell you? "i before e, except ..."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30650 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do of course need a PA lawyer or a lawyer familiar with PA law.

The dollar amount is $2600, but other specifics I'd rather not get into here.

Thanks!

----------