SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    b.n.s.f. railroad ties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

b.n.s.f. railroad ties Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:
quote:
they may be replaced by new wooden ties (which mostly likely originated from my rail yard in Springfield, MO) or the newer concrete ties.

I have been seeing a lot of concrete ties lately.
I haven't seen wood ties used on new RR construction in years.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23221 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Wood is all they use out here in the Big Bend. Which seems odd, since they have to replace ties so often.

Posts: 26895 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by a1abdj:

I have been seeing a lot of concrete ties lately.
I haven't seen wood ties used on new RR construction in years.

Especially down where you're at the concrete ties are definitely superior. Between the moisture and insects down in the Gulf area, I can't imagine the newer wooden ties holding up for long. Only problem with concrete ties is that they're much more prone to cracking/falling apart from impact during a derailment. Wooden ties will absorb a lot more "violent" abuse and still be usable.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post