SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    b.n.s.f. railroad ties
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

b.n.s.f. railroad ties Login/Join 
posted
They dumped about a hundred ,brand new wooden ties in the general vicinity .

look to be about 5x5 or 6x6.

If they can not use creosote anymore does anyone know what they are coating them with, for preservative?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Why can't they user creosote? Is the Himalayan miniature jumping tree frog allergic to it? Roll Eyes

Posts: 107465 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last I heard ( many years ago .
The creosote that they were treating phone poles and ties had a half a dozen cancer causing chemicals in it.

perhaps they have found a way to make New and Improved creosote w/o the cancer causing agents.

Posts: 54597 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
This Space for Rent
Picture of ugeesta
posted Hide Post
Those are pretty small rr ties. They should be more like 8x8's.

Para, yes, creosote is an EPA regulated chemical that requires special clean up. And, it attracts the spotted owl to the tracks where they splat against the speeding train

https://www3.epa.gov/pesticide...025004_25-Sep-08.pdf

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.

Posts: 5749 | Location: Colorado | Registered: April 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Obviously not a golfer
Picture of g8rforester
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Why can't they user creosote? Is the Himalayan miniature jumping tree frog allergic to it? Roll Eyes

It's allegedly fairly carcinogenic. There is also concern about aquatic contamination when used for marine pilings.

Chromated copper arsenate (CCA) is the chemical that is used now, but there are concerns with it due to the arsenic content. Are the ties greenish?

There are some other non-CCA chemicals as well, but I'm not really familiar with them. Don't believe they are greenish.

Posts: 2438 | Location: Winter Garden, FL | Registered: September 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
they could very well be 8x8's.

I was guesstimating from the car window, too lazy to walk the 250 feet to measure

Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I doubt they are "dumped", if by that you mean they are free for the taking. The RR doesn't give away even used, creosote ties hereabouts. They sell them.

Posts: 26892 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
I seriously doubt they dumped them, probably staging them to replace existing ties.

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6209 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cne32507
posted Hide Post
Pensacola has two superfund sites that were old treating plants: one arsenic and one creosote. Bendable, the new ties will replace old ties. I know a man who made a LARGE fortune salvaging used railroad ties. Go get the old ties. Kern S

Posts: 2520 | Location: High Sierra & Low Desert | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
I seriously doubt they dumped them, probably staging them to replace existing ties.

My thoughts as well. I saw the same thing at a track near my home. Lots of piles of ties appeared one day along the track. Over time each pile disappeared. I assumed they were used, though I guess bendable could have stolen them Wink

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Is there a new rail line being installed?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

Posts: 14032 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
Ties aren't treated with creosote anymore, but a similar treatment using more eco friendly substances is still applied. Depending on traffic volume/tonnage for the line they may be replaced by new wooden ties (which mostly likely originated from my rail yard in Springfield, MO) or the newer concrete ties. Knowing where you're at bendable it's likely to be wooden ties.

The old ties are stacked until a contractor comes along to collect and dispose of them.

*Fun fact: On Indian reservations in the state of Montana the tribe automatically owns any ties pulled up once they're replaced.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
yes they are staged for replacement.

from silvis to galesburg

In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
Ties only last so long and have to be replaced periodically (assuming it's a line that's well maintained). So likely they're doing some upgrades to the line and piled them until they're ready to do the work.

Posts: 6343 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Creosote is pretty bad stuff.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
As are many things that work well for their purpose. Always a balance between doing the job and minimizing other trauma caused...

Posts: 6909 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I take the subway into downtown San francisco every day. It runs above ground until it hits the tunnel under the bay and underground in downtown. There was a small track fire once a few years back in the tunnel between stations, good god it reeked something nasty for months. So don't set them on fire !

Posts: 4752 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Yes it is. Worked highway and bridge construction many years, so many older small rural wooden bridges decking was cresoted..never ever be around burning cresote.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
they may be replaced by new wooden ties (which mostly likely originated from my rail yard in Springfield, MO) or the newer concrete ties.

I have been seeing a lot of concrete ties lately.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Main line Nashville to Chattanooga got upgraded with concrete ties several years ago. Look down the rails now and they are absolutely perfectly smooth and straight. Allowed them to raise the train speed limit ~ 10 MPH to 65 IIRC. Man those trains look like they are hauling ass when they go through now!

No more Creosote treated power poles either now.
Two amazing products put out to pasture... Creosote and Asbestos, with nothing comparable in performance or cost to replace them. What a shame they couldn't find a safe way to continue making and using them.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4125 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post