SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Like to Build Model Airplanes? So Does Jack Bally
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Like to Build Model Airplanes? So Does Jack Bally Login/Join 
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted
This guy has built a 1/3 scale B-17G that is designed to be piloted, not RC. A good time to start watching his website; the plane taxied in 2016 and is expected to fly this year.

The Bally Bomber

I chose this one because I watched a car builder show with Ian Roussel. He built a large scale molding device like this to form a plexiglass bubble for a car--fascinating.

Posts: 13255 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
That is incredible! I would definitely man a turret.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow. That is amazing talent to build that.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rictafer
posted Hide Post
very impressive!!! Building models is a dying art
is that going to be the, YE Olde Pub B17???

Posts: 27 | Location: Southeast Connecticut  | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Wonder if it can carry 1/3 scale ordnance?

Cool

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
1/3 scale, I wonder what the weight is. Interesting question while I'm thinking about it: Airplane with a gross weight of more than 12,500 pounds requires a type rating on pilot certificate. Type rating requires an examiner with a Letter Of Authorization for that type aircraft. If this model grosses over 12,500 lbs, (or any other home-built or experimental), how does the pilot get a type rating? Clearly, if this is the first one of its type, there is no examiner who is experienced with it.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30659 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It says the empty weight will be 1800 lbs on the website.

It looks like 4 four cylinder engines. Seems powerful to my untrained eye. Also looks like dryer vent feeding the engine air boxes.

quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
1/3 scale, I wonder what the weight is. Interesting question while I'm thinking about it: Airplane with a gross weight of more than 12,500 pounds requires a type rating on pilot certificate. Type rating requires an examiner with a Letter Of Authorization for that type aircraft. If this model grosses over 12,500 lbs, (or any other home-built or experimental), how does the pilot get a type rating? Clearly, if this is the first one of its type, there is no examiner who is experienced with it.

Posts: 512 | Location: Pearland, Tx | Registered: June 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think it's beautiful. BUT, I don't think you can call it a model airplane if it's piloted by a human (in it). More like a sport light, or replica...... or whatever they call those p51 mustang copies that are 80% the size of the real one.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Copied from the website:
SPECIFICATIONS

Bally's Bomber B-17G, ⅓ Scale

Wing Span: 34 ft. 7 in.

Length: 25 ft.

Tail Height: 6 ft. 10 in.

Power Plant: 240hp

Fuel Capacity: 42 gal.

Empty Weight: 1800 lbs. (Est.)

Cruising Speed: 110 kts. (Est.)

Crew: 1

Number Built: 1

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know very little about this topic but the total weight of four engines which produce a total horsepower of 240 would seem to take up a lot of that 1800 pounds.

Posts: 1500 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
You need to find yourself a girl, mate.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31435 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Add 6-700 lbs for two people (It says crew: one, but the pics I saw sure look like there's provisions for a seat behind the pilot, with their head in the top turret area) and the fuel qty they listed and it's still only around 2500 lbs. Should have plenty of power.

I'm envious. I wonder what it'll really wind up costing him to build it?

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
quote:
You need to find yourself a girl, mate.

fugg no man, then you'd have to give up the plane,

Maybe though a plane like that's gotta be good for picking up chicks, in Minsk....

Posts: 23423 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post