SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are C.O.P.O.s still a thing at GM?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are C.O.P.O.s still a thing at GM? Login/Join 
posted
I am searching the GM website for a new truck. Figured the Silverado Custom best fits what I want (MANUAL not electric shift transfer case 4x4, 1/2 cab, no chrome). Problem is, I want deep ocean blue metallic and customs are only shown in white, black, red and silver.
Is there any way to have a dealer order a package not normally available from GM like the old Central Office Production Orders? I don't mind a reasonable up charge, but I don't wanna spend another 3k for the LT.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Not certain on GM, but if your concern is color choice and not interested in paying an extra 3K I suspect that even if they did, you'd find it cheaper to step up to LT.

I will be surprised if anything like the COPO still exists in any way accessible to mere mortals. GM is geared towards (relative) efficiency and stamping out a set recipe.

A couple manufacturers that do happily accommodate custom colors are Porsche and BMW, and those run ~$3K for "special colors" to $7K for paint to match customs. All this on a vehicle much smaller than a truck.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12402 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Ram will paint a truck one of about 25 "custom" colors for ~$1K, but you may have to wait "some" as they batch the production.

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I think they use it at least for marketing a high performance camaro but I’ve not heard of general customization of regular production models.

Posts: 17880 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I would imagine a dealer can still place orders direct to the factory now what limits they have on options to color to model will determine what you can get.

I'd just get the white one and have it painted
probably cheaper...

Posts: 23393 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
You can get the manual transfer case and the color you want in the LS or WT trim. You are correct that the custom has only four color choices. Let me know if you want a build sheet, options available. BTW, custom colors are still available but the dealer has to order five of the same color.

Posts: 5317 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I spent a year and a half working in an automobile factory in Barcelona. Transfer of technology project, dealing with matching production line computer systems to special orders, etc.

One of the big problem areas in production was the paint department. The vast majority of those cars that did not pass final QA inspection were those that had to be cycled back through the "paint hospital."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The COPO Camaro still exists... but it's more-so in name only and not in pricing lol.

Posts: 106 | Registered: September 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King of Goodness
Picture of varoadking
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I spent a year and a half working in an automobile factory in Barcelona. Transfer of technology project, dealing with matching production line computer systems to special orders, etc.

One of the big problem areas in production was the paint department. The vast majority of those cars that did not pass final QA inspection were those that had to be cycled back through the "paint hospital."

We toured the Harley-Davidson plant in York, PA. some years ago. The place was stacked to the rafters with "completed" gas tanks with blemishes that had to be addressed.

Posts: 6699 | Location: Dixie | Registered: February 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info Swede. I knew the lower trims had some of the options I want, but they look like advertisements for "pimp my ride" with all the chrome GM wants to smear on stuff now. I miss painted bumpers being the base option. The Custom I spec'd was 44k before rebates and was a compromise on several areas (no leather wheel, no black interior, no carpet, 20" wheels, and a meh color).

As it stands, I think I might be forced to buy my first Ford. The STX/FX4 seems like better deal for $ for me.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2735 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
The STX is pretty much the route I went. It was a compromise between a utility company package and the XLT.

Didn't want nor need all the BS, but I didn't want a spartan rig either. Power windows lock and mirrors, plus a decent radio/hands free phone.

Good luck, in your search for what I called my unicorn.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5149 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post