SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Yesterday We Sold Our Boat
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Yesterday We Sold Our Boat Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
It was a bitter sweet day. She's a neat little boat and we had a lot of fun on her ...

... but we really preferred sailing to power-boating, and my wife can't really do either, any more, due to her back.

She hadn't been in the water since about this time in 2012. We kept her this long because we thought that, maybe, once I retired we'd take her out again. It just didn't happen.

Driveway looks empty without her there Frown I wasn't taking her out, but, as long as she was still there the possibility existed. Still: It was time to pass her along to somebody who'd get her in the water, so she could be a happy boat again. (Yes: I believe boats have souls. Even little "plastic" stink boats.)

Now a truly nice young couple owns her. And were they ever exited to get her! My wife and I remember what it was like, so we're very happy for them Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a win for everyone. I like the part about being happy for the new owners the best.

Wish you guys well too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations.....they say the happiest day of a boaters life is the day they buy the boat, and the second happiest day of a boaters life is the day they sell the boat!!!! But if you haven't used it in so long, it's good to see it go to a good home and people that will use her.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HighZonie
posted Hide Post
I know that feeling of loss in selling a boat.

Why ? We don't usually feel that way with a car or other things.... Roll Eyes

Anyway, my cabin cruiser is now in the hands of someone who will use her more often.

* Diligentia Vis Celeritis *
"Thus those skilled in war subdue the enemy's army without battle .... They conquer by strategy."
- Sun Tsu - The Art of War

"Fast is Fine, but Accuracy is Everything" - Wyatt Earp

Posts: 2900 | Location: Arizona Highlands - Pine Tree Country | Registered: March 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I recall sadness upon selling my only real bass boat. So many happy hours, so many good times through days and nights, year round, fishing with friends, my brother, my father.

I'd moved out my parents' home where the boat was kept, and it was getting used 1 or 2 times a year, falling into disrepair. I actually felt kind of guilty, almost like I'd neglected a faithful dog and essentially given her away when I had no time for her anymore.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Browndrake
posted Hide Post
Last year I traded in my 2011 Bennington pontoon for a motorcycle. I had a mild feeling of relief to be rid of it, but occasionally think back on the memories and get a little wistful.
There is something to be said for owning your own boat, but man, they sure can be a pain in the rear end sometimes.

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong. Do everything in love.
- 1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Posts: 884 | Location: Southwest Michigan | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
It was a bitter sweet day. She's a neat little boat and we had a lot of fun on her ...

I can relate.
Also, Mariah made a great boat and it looks like you kept it up well.

It was a sad day when they closed.
Mariah Boats closes plant; 300 lose jobs
https://www.bizjournals.com/st...01/06/11/story4.html

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 23945 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
My wife and I would both cry if I sold my 25' Bennington pontoon! So many good times tubing with the kiddoes, swimming, cruising, fishing, and just hanging out with friends. We go to one lake or another every week. It's like a vacation every weekend.

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 651 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
I know that feeling of loss in selling a boat.

Why ? We don't usually feel that way with a car or other things....

Usually you wind up with another car.

Selling the boat is killing the dream.

Posts: 10823 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
I'm at the other end of the spectrum. I bought a fixer upper boat back in Sept. Only took it to the lake once last fall, just after I rebuilt the carb. I've dumped about $1,000 in parts into it so far (my labor), and it's almost ready for the water! Hopefully this weekend!

I've very excited to teach my 7 & 8 YO how to wakeboard!

Posts: 5734 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sold our last boat in 2011, never so happy to see it go. I love boating, grew up boating but, right now I have not really missed having a boat. Once in a great while I wistfully think of the joy a boat brings.....then I remember the last marina bill, and "poof" I'm back to being happy!

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
My condolences. Its one thing to move on from one boat to another but to not be able to get out on the water anymore due to health reasons is terrible.

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3839 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We sold ours years ago, I miss boating but not all the work in keeping a boat and taking it down and putting it in and pulling it out, the expense was crazy too.

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We owned three different Mariah boats, all 18 footers. They built a nice product. We've slowed down a lot on boating but still have a 16 foot aluminum Starcraft runabout. As we get older, the ease of towing, launching, and retrieving makes aluminum an easy choice. The fuel mileage is also much improved. Boats are a lot of work unless you can hire it done. (We can't) Almost all of us have to make adjustments as we age to things that are too much work or not as much fun as they used to be.

Posts: 1496 | Location: S/W Illinois | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rusbro:
I'd moved out my parents' home where the boat was kept, and it was getting used 1 or 2 times a year, falling into disrepair. I actually felt kind of guilty, almost like I'd neglected a faithful dog and essentially given her away when I had no time for her anymore.

You nailed the reason I went along with it when SWMBO suggested we should sell the boat this spring.

When we also had the sailboat, kept in a marina an hour away and in an area littered with marinas and boaters, we saw many boats literally rotting away in driveways and outdoor storage areas. I always thought that heart-wrenchingly sad. I vowed I would never let that happen to any boat that was in my care.

quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
Also, Mariah made a great boat and it looks like you kept it up well.

Yes, the original Mariah made great boats. We looked at a lot of boats by the time we found her. We took one look, saw beneath the good cleaning she needed, and said "This is the little powerboat for us!"

That little boat... *sigh*... Stock for her was a 4-banger. But she had a 4.3L 4bbl V6. Even with five adults aboard: 2/3 throttle out of the no wake zone would have her up on plane so fast you'd think Nautilus, himself, had given her a kick in the backside. Handling? The lake we usually had her on often had 2-3' chop. Even being only an 18' boat, she handled it with aplomb.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If that’s a current picture, the cleanest surviving Mariah ever!

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Garret Blaine
posted Hide Post
Wish I could say the same. I bought a new to me boat back in March thinking I would have no problem selling “the old boat”. I don’t think I am priced too high (and have lowered the asking price considerably already) but I can’t even get a nibble.

-----------------------------------

Posts: 335 | Location: Buffalo, WY | Registered: June 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Garret Blaine:
Wish I could say the same. I bought a new to me boat back in March thinking I would have no problem selling “the old boat”. I don’t think I am priced too high (and have lowered the asking price considerably already) but I can’t even get a nibble.

If your weather's been like ours, that may be why. Owner of a marine repair place I was talking with had a used boat in showroom condition for sale. Hasn't had but two calls in as many weeks. "But once the weather turns, the phone'll be ringing off the hook," he said.

BTW: Sold ours on Facebook Marketplace. Our advert had 1600+ views, 42+ "following," 17 inquiries, and 2 that came to see the boat + one pending while she was SPF.

She was listed for 2-1/2 weeks.

Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
If that’s a current picture, the cleanest surviving Mariah ever!

Thanks! That was from a few years ago, after we'd just detailed her, but she still looks just like that.

Let's be careful
out there
posted Hide Post
I once had a sailboat. It was like standing in a cold shower tearing up $100 dollar bills

Posts: 7333 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post