SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawyers of the Forum a Question if I May
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyers of the Forum a Question if I May Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
As you might recall, I was rear ended while on my motorcycle last fall. The driver was covered under the owners insurance. The problem seems to be that his insurance and mine are both State Farm. I have been told (informally) that my claim has already exceeded his coverage and that the remaining claim would need to go onto my uninsured driver coverage. I realize that could be legitimate, but it just seems wrong to me. I'd love to hear y'alls considerably more informed opinion. Thanks.

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer, but my understanding is that's the way it works.

Once the insured's coverage limit is reached you either go to your uninsured/underinsured coverage and/or sue the responsible party (in your case the driver I imagine) for the difference.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10938 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Not a lawyer, but the limit of coverage is the limit of coverage. According to my State Farm agent, them paying off on your uninsured motorist coverage has no affect on you premiums.

Personally, I think that sounds like a much better deal than the person who screwed up in a borrowed car did 30k in damage to another car then went through our ranch fence. It was only a few hundred dollar repair, but as the owner of the car had Nationwide with the state's minimum 10k in coverage, the damaged parties got a little less than a third of their damages covered.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
That's why you have UM/UIM coverage. Laws vary from state to state (obviously) and they can be wildly different in LA, but this is pretty cut & dry. I'd bet it's a correct statement of the situation.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
yup yup and yup.

I can tell you stright out that SF is a good company to be working with, but UM/UIM coverage can get sticky where you are on a motorcycle, that is sometimes excluded from that type of coverage unless you have a rider on your policy for motorcycle. I suggest getting a local attorney signed up.

Timdogg6, Esq.

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5132 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
yup yup and yup.

I can tell you stright out that SF is a good company to be working with, but UM/UIM coverage can get sticky where you are on a motorcycle, that is sometimes excluded from that type of coverage unless you have a rider on your policy for motorcycle. I suggest getting a local attorney signed up.

Timdogg6, Esq.

Everything he said, except the bit about SF being good to work with. In fact, when I was still in private practice, my boilerplate UM/UIM breach of contract complaint was pre-filled with State Farm's resident agent information. YMMV, of course, but at least a consultataion with an attorney in this case would be advisable.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Yep this is why you buy UM, for underinsured, uninsured situations. You are hedging against the possibility that an accident will happen with someone that buys minimum or no coverage.

You should consult an attorney with motorcycle accident experience, Russ Brown is what I call an attorney aggregator, he does the marketing nationwide and hooks you up with a local motorcycle experienced attorney, it at least saves you interviewing a bunch to find out who specializes in your area.

http://www.russbrown.com/

His web page at least will help you understand the process it has some good information.

Posts: 23448 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BurtonRW:
quote:
Originally posted by Timdogg6:
yup yup and yup.

Timdogg6, Esq.

Everything he said, except the bit about SF being good to work with. In fact, when I was still in private practice, my boilerplate UM/UIM breach of contract complaint was pre-filled with State Farm's resident agent information. YMMV, of course, but at least a consultataion with an attorney in this case would be advisable.

-Rob

X2 for dealings with State Farm. I no longer do litigation, but I suspect there are still some marks from my boot treads on some asses at SF.

But, in this instance, if the at fault party's policy limit is reached, then you will need use your uninsured motorist coverage to make up the difference. If you haven't already waived the claim by accepting insurance proceeds from the other motorist, you might be able to sue the other motorist for damages, and collect from the motorist personally if 1) you get a damages award in excess of policy limits and 2) the other motorist actually has reachable assets to satisfy the judgment, and you don't mind waiting the time for the case to work through the courts.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the quick replies y'all. I guess my biggest issue is how do I know what his coverage limits were?

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
Thanks for the quick replies y'all. I guess my biggest issue is how do I know what his coverage limits were?

You would need to see the other driver's policy or a certificate of insurance to know for certain. You can request it from your contact at your insurance company, but I would be surprised if they give it to you without a fight.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I understand, the person driving the vehicle was not the owner but had permission of the owner to drive the vehicle so the vehicle insurance is primary. After they have paid the limit of the policy, they are no longer involved. Which is where you are now.

My question would be "Does the driver of vehicle own a vehicle and if he does is it insured under a separate policy?" If he does (at least in Texas) that coverage would be secondary and your UM/UIM would not come into play until his limits are exhausted.

_________

Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right.

Henry Ford

Posts: 726 | Location: Texas | Registered: October 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 610:
My question would be "Does the driver of vehicle own a vehicle and if he does is it insured under a separate policy?" If he does (at least in Texas) that coverage would be secondary and your UM/UIM would not come into play until his limits are exhausted.

That kind of policy stacking is one of those extremely state-specific areas of insurance law and frequently changes over the course of decades as legislatures respond to lobbyists and new case law.

-Rob

A=A

Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
State Farm may be off the hook at the limits of the policy but I wouldn't think the owner or driver would if you choose to go after them.
They may have an umbrella policy or some other insurance that might pay. If these individuals are low net worth types there may or may not be anything else to get.
I would at least consult a lawyer but find someone that's not advertising on the back of the phone book.

Posts: 9508 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Not a lawyer, but my understanding is that's the way it works.

Once the insured's coverage limit is reached you either go to your uninsured/underinsured coverage and/or sue the responsible party (in your case the driver I imagine) for the difference.

Same situation, not a lawyer. But as long as you're made whole and they pay everything, who cares??? Usually even though your insurance pays, if it's not your fault, your rates generally do not go up.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm just asking: what is the problem if it goes to your Uninsured coverage as long as you're made close to whole?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19662 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
I'm just asking: what is the problem if it goes to your Uninsured coverage as long as you're made close to whole?

I guess I have a hard time believing that rates won't go up after making a claim against my insurance. If that's the case then I guess there is no problem.

I don't intend to sue anyone so long as I'm made whole, I (and even more so the wife) just have a hard time with having to file a claim against our insurance when we've not had to in 30 years.

posted Hide Post
Have you called your agent or asked State Farm to see if it will effect your rates?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post