SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65 Login/Join 
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Yes I saw them at the museum of flight. Apparently weapons of war are only for the liberal elite.

Posts: 9964 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
Yes I saw them at the museum of flight. Apparently weapons of war are only for the liberal elite.

No one NEEDS to own planes designed to kill people.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arabiancowboy
posted Hide Post
He hated free people owning guns and used his money to inhibit my freedom. That’s how I’ll remember him, and I don’t care what he donated to republican causes. Adios.

Posts: 2399 | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I ain't gonna miss him.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5040 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

No one NEEDS to own planes designed to kill people.

Don't forget his V2 rocket.

Homedude was a billionaire, traveled around with essentially commandos, used his money to purchase doomsday weapons, and worked hard at restricting other people's rights under the guise of safety, then he dies of cancer? There didn't happen to be any suave British gentlemen slinking about, were there?

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
Nobody's life is black and white.

I am extremely grateful for his involvement with finding the USS Indianapolis. That is a gift to history for all time.

And, I guess he was a lib "guns for me but not for you" type. Some good, some bad.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
Nobody's life is black and white.

I am extremely grateful for his involvement with finding the USS Indianapolis. That is a gift to history for all time.

And, I guess he was a lib "guns for me but not for you" type. Some good, some bad.

Agreed, I appreciate the Indianapolis and historical work but I'm hoping he didn't leave any contribution to the Antis.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
May I have his yacht?

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
Sure. Can you afford to maintain it? Big Grin

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15483 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Orguss:
May I have his yacht?

Dibs on the Dora. . .

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21846 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Allen owned the Portland Trailblazers. There was no way he could (or anyone) can get to the Rose Garden to watch the Blazers without first seeing, or tripping over, homeless tents. How much did the 4th richest man in the world contribute to those poor unfortunates which he undoubtedly saw many many times?

Not a fucking nickel. He gave a million to an anti-gun group though. Fuck that shit head.

The other side of town is Phil Knight. Another anti-gun douch....maybe. He gave anti-gun lib dem Kate Brown $25000 to run but gave her pro-gun repub opponent Knute Buhler a reported $100,000. So who can say. But Phil has funded what he loves, which is a new running stadium for the Ducks and a world class cancer research center which will benefit all of mankind.

Paul Allen? Piss on his grave.

Posts: 1920 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
he was noted for his contributions to gun-control groups, was he not?

Why yes, yes he was.

KOMO News: Paul Allen donates $1M to Washington gun initiative

Well, he won't be doing that anymore, will he?

Good lord, how dense are you? Oh my. That’s all you can come up with? Roll Eyes

I’m actually quite shocked and how stupid you just sounded.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

Explain to me how I'm dense and stupid for making a statement of fact. I was neither celebrating, nor bemoaning his demise.

I make no apologies for opposing gun-control, or those who ignorantly or disingenuously support it. If Mr Allen (and all the other wealthy patrons that support gun-control) had instead invested that money in inner-city education, rather than gun-control, he (they) would have seen a much greater return on investment in terms of lives saved.

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:

Good lord, how dense are you? Oh my. That’s all you can come up with? Roll Eyes

I’m actually quite shocked and how stupid you just sounded.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

And if you read that article you will note he also gave generously to Democrats as well. Can anyone explain why one would donate large sums to BOTH opposing political parties?

Oh, that’s right, grease everyone’s palm and no matter who wins you have curried their favor. A cynical person might think those donations to BOTH political parties could be used for leverage for any pet project or interest that might come up in legislation.

I believe the term is “Playing both sides”. Not terribly honorable but effective none the less.

Yes, he did some good stuff with his money, but he also spent a lot of it to curtail the rights of others. I am not sure the cool shit outweighs that.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10940 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
At $1,249,936.00 for anti gun side on I-1639 from a guy who owned tanks and fighter planes I got nothing good to say about Paul Allen these days I just leave it at that.

Washington State I-1639

Top donors
Donor Cash In-kind Total

Paul Allen $1,226,036.00 $23,900.00 $1,249,936.00

Nicolas Hanauer $613,018.00 $0.00 $613,018.00

Leslie Hanauer $613,018.00 $0.00 $613,018.00

Steven Ballmer $500,000.00 $0.00 $500,000.00

Connie Ballmer $500,000.00 $0.00 $500,000.00

https://ballotpedia.org/Washin...re_(2018)#Top_donors

Posts: 2679 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Can anyone explain why one would donate large sums to BOTH opposing political parties?

Oh, that’s right, grease everyone’s palm and no matter who wins you have curried their favor. A cynical person might think those donations to BOTH political parties could be used for leverage for any pet project or interest that might come up in legislation.

I believe the term is “Playing both sides”. Not terribly honorable but effective none the less.

Most business people with money contribute to both sides. It’s neither honorable nor dishonorable. It’s simply the cost of doing legal business.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just for my own curiosity. Why would you donate to both political parties. Are you expecting favors back at a later date reguardless of party?

Posts: 3921 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a bigger boat
Picture of CaptainMike
posted Hide Post
I worked for him briefly around 2006/7, did the operational development and sea trials of his manned submersible out in Bermuda. Vulcan Inc. was like the worlds richest traveling circus of liberal nincompoops. Sent a 737 to JAX just to pick up a quart of "Yellow Submarine" paint after we slightly scratched the conning tower. Paul himself seemed like a pretty nice guy in the limited contact I had with him personally. We finished the sea trials and the circus left town: 2 yachts, 4 jets, 2 helicopters, 315 support personnel, and a mobile coffee shop.

MOO means NO! Be the comet!

Posts: 2769 | Location: The Tidewater. VCOA. | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
Blue Screen!

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of aileron
posted Hide Post
Like all of us, Paul Allen was an imperfect person. I met him casually several times through Burt Rutan's Scaled Composites project for the Ansari X-Prize; private flight into space twice within 2 weeks. The Ansari X-Prize, eventually won by Paul Allen and Burt, was $10M... and a lot of press.

Allen funded 100% of the SpaceShip 1 development and construction, as well as the direct operating costs of flight. Burt told me the total cost funded by Allen was $22M, so it would seem Allen lost $12M on the effort.

But, Allen donated the prize money to Rutan/SCALED with the proviso the money be distributed to the small team that did the work over 5 years. Some of the cash recipients at SCALED are close friends of mine, and their lives were changed forever through the generosity of Allen.

Paul and I shared a love of WWII aircraft, and his restored collection at Flying Heritage and Combat Armor Museum at Paine Field WA is an extraordinary labor of love, and not insignificant cost.

Paul was a very quiet and private individual, so I didn't really get to know him other than a memorable informal dinner with Paul, Rutan, and Sir Richard Branson. I have no beef with the man, and will miss his patronage of space adventure.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: aileron,

Posts: 1480 | Location: Montana - bear country | Registered: March 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Looking past his politics, the guy was way more interesting than Bill Gates.

Yep. I think smarter too.
Bill Gates was in the right place at the right time and the better salesman though. It took both of them to build Microsoft. One without the other and it wouldn't have happened.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24117 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post