SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65 Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted
https://www.cnbc.com/2018/10/1...ancer-at-age-65.html

Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen dies of cancer at age 65

Microsoft Co-Founder Paul Allen has died from complications of non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, Vulcan Inc. said Monday on behalf of his family.

Allen passed away Monday afternoon in Seattle at 65 years old, Vulcan said. His sister, Jody, said he was "a remarkable individual on every level."

"While most knew Paul Allen as a technologist and philanthropist, for us he was a much-loved brother and uncle, and an exceptional friend. Paul's family and friends were blessed to experience his wit, warmth, his generosity and deep concern," she said in a statement. "For all the demands on his schedule, there was always time for family and friends. At this time of loss and grief for us – and so many others – we are profoundly grateful for the care and concern he demonstrated every day."

Allen, longtime CEO of Microsoft, also ranked among the world's wealthiest individuals. As of Monday afternoon, he ranked 21st on Forbes' list of billionaires with an estimated net worth of $20.3 billion.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
Now don't hang on
Nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky
It slips away
And all your money won't another minute buy

Dust in the wind

Kansas

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4224 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
On the one hand, wow, on the other he seems like a guy who lived each day to its fullest.

I saw one of his yachts anchored among the cruise ships off Seven Mile Beach and it wasn't exactly dwarfed by the cruise ships. It had a dark blue hull and was 428' according to the internet article I read when I got home.

Posts: 10938 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
he was noted for his contributions to gun-control groups, was he not?

------------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
That's pretty young. One wonders if he had any regrets at the end -- less wealth and more time enjoying life? Or very happy with the accumulated wealth?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Storm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:

Why yes, yes he was.

KOMO News: Paul Allen donates $1M to Washington gun initiative

Well, he won't be doing that anymore, will he?

Loyalty Above All Else, Except Honor

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 3873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: December 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Is it just me, or does it seem like an at least slightly unusual number of the silicon pioneers died early?

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:

------------------------------------------

Bet he was protected by armed guards.

Posts: 13110 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Double-edged sword, his contributions to modern technology can't be over-stated. His contributions outside of his work with Microsoft: ocean exploration (USS Indy, Lexington, maping of various sea battle wrecks), PacNW sports teams, SpaceShip One, medical tech; all varied and laudable.

HOWEVER, with respect to this forum, he was also a staunch anti-2A, who contributed a considerable amount of his wealth to restricting and denying those rights to those in King County and the rest of the state of WA. No doubt his wealth will be divided up amongst the various foundations he established and the zealots segmented within the anti-2A group will be free to pursue their puritanical mission, hopefully they mismanage it and piss it all away.

His contributions to mankind was tremendous, however my admiration is limited.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Could have gone before he donated to 1639.

Posts: 9963 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Looking past his politics, the guy was way more interesting than Bill Gates.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16694 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Sad day here in Seattle. What he’s done for this community and the world will forever be remembered.

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Storm:
quote:

Why yes, yes he was.

Good lord, how dense are you? Oh my. That’s all you can come up with? Roll Eyes

I’m actually quite shocked and how stupid you just sounded.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

Posts: 5072 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Copefree:
quote:
quote:

Why yes, yes he was.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

So, I guess that contribution offsets this contribution:

This year, he has given more than $1.2 million in support of Initiative 1639, which would impose additional regulations on firearms, including raising the minimum age to buy semi-automatic weapons to 21 and requiring safe storage of guns at home.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
This country is better without him. I rejoice in his demise.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don’t know of anyone who agrees with me 100% on every issue.

I personally value the money and work that went in to oceanography research, especially the discovery of the USS Indianapolis as his most recent achievement.

I’m sorry to hear of his premature death.

Posts: 18066 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Bet he was protected by armed guards.

Yes, word was that he always boarded his yacht with his team of 11 ex-SEALs. Smile

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why yes, yes he was.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

This is a gun interest board, and as such, members are concerned about anyone who donates against 2A. I don't think Storm "sounded" stupid at all.

I too loathe people who donate to anti-2A causes, even if they also give money to republicans. So, I guess that makes me sound stupid as well. So be it.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10924 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Why yes, yes he was.

PS. just 6 weeks ago

This is a gun interest board, and as such, members are concerned about anyone who donates against 2A. I don't think Storm "sounded" stupid at all.

I too loathe people who donate to anti-2A causes. So, I guess that makes me sound stupid as well. So be it.
Cope, you may want to switch to decaf because you're the one coming across poorly not Storm.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
I don’t know of anyone who agrees with me 100% on every issue.

I personally value the money and work that went in to oceanography research, especially the discovery of the USS Indianapolis as his most recent achievement.

I’m sorry to hear of his premature death.

Not to mention his Air Heritage museum in Everett at Paine field. Every aircraft there is flyable and fully restored to original condition. As an example:

And this one, the only FW190 D Dora in existence and it is flyable as well.

Just saying.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post