SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    On this date in 1902 the Teddy Bear is born
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

On this date in 1902 the Teddy Bear is born Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

https://www.facebook.com/TaraR...5338/?type=3&theater

On this day in 1902, a political cartoon is published. It prompts the creation of the teddy bear! Did you know that teddy bears are named after President Teddy Roosevelt? And, if so, do you know why?

It all began when Mississippi Governor Andrew H. Longino invited Roosevelt on a hunting trip. Roosevelt loved to hunt, but this particular hunt wasn’t going so well for him. He didn’t see a bear for days, whereas the other hunters in the group were doing much better. The details of what happened next are a bit murky, but it seems that the others wanted to help the President get at least one bear.

A few versions of the story are told: Perhaps the hunters found and tied up a bear for the President. Or maybe some of the hunting dogs cornered a bear. Or perhaps the bear was cornered, but only because he’d killed one of the hunting dogs and had been stopped by one of the other hunters. That hunter clubbed the bear, rather than shoot it, saving the final kill for the President.

Whichever way it happened, a bear was trapped and the President was invited to get his prize. All versions of the story agree on what came next: Roosevelt refused to shoot a captured animal. It was unsportsmanlike! He believed in the “fair chase” and would only shoot an animal under those conditions.

Unsurprisingly, the story got out. Within days, a political cartoon was published, depicting the scene. It showed a cute little bear cowering, even as Roosevelt stood with his back to the bear, refusing to shoot it.

The story could have ended there, but . . . this is America, so it didn’t. Smile Two entrepreneurs saw an opportunity and grabbed it—although they took extra care to respect their President as they did it.

Two candy shop owners in New York, Rose and Morris Michtom, were inspired to create a stuffed bear. They expected “Teddy’s bear” to sit in the front window of their shop. But on the very first day, at least a dozen people asked if they could buy it! The Michtoms began to wonder if they might need the President’s permission to proceed with their new enterprise, so they mailed him a request: Would the President mind if they named their bears after him?

Along with their request, they sent the original stuffed bear as a gift for the President’s children.

“I don’t think my name is likely to be worth much in the toy bear business,” Roosevelt reportedly replied, “but you are welcome to use it. I wish you great luck with your toy bear business.”

Roosevelt must have been surprised by what followed?

Before too long, the Michtoms were selling so many bears that they shut down their candy shop and opened a toy company, the Ideal Novelty and Toy Company. Other entrepreneurs were soon following suit, making their own versions of the teddy bear. The Republican Party even adopted the bear as a mascot of sorts for a while.
And that’s how teddy bears became a staple of American life.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
too late smart
posted Hide Post
Walter “Radar” O’Rielly would approve this message. Smile

Posts: 4757 | Location: Southern Texas | Registered: May 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sportshooter:
Walter “Radar” O’Rielly would approve this message. Smile

So would Paul Harvey.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RAEIndustries
posted Hide Post
I love teddy bears

Shawn Rife

www.raeind.com

Posts: 175 | Registered: October 25, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
We have my son's favorite Teddy, of course named "Teddy" He's a small 6" tall ,light blue teddy.

We lost the 1st Teddy, so after finding an identical replacement, the second one was caleed "Teddy2".

That's 24 years ago.
Wonderful story.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember getting my teddy bear "Big Teddy", when I was maybe 4 (27 now). Still have it, in storage. Doesn't seem so big now, of course Big Grin

----------
The first 100 people to make it out alive...get to live.

Posts: 1277 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post