SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Can we discuss hearing aid's and audiologists?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can we discuss hearing aid's and audiologists? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Costco. Costco exam and two different audiologist exams had the same results. Audiologist wanted $5000 for what Costco charged $1600. Better warranty and cheaper batteries at Costco too. A three hour drive is tough but might be worth it.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the replies! Eargo is sending me non-working units to see if they will work with my ears, if they do they will send out working demos to see if they solve my hearing issues.

I hope they do, as they are virtually invisible. Otherwise it is off to Costco for a membership and evaluation. Thanks all!!!!!

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of EasyFire
posted Hide Post
You may not need a membership to purchase hearing aids or prescription medicine. State laws May prevent that. Cannot hurt to inquire.

EasyFire [AT] zianet.com
----------------------------------
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor
Colorado Concealed Handgun Permit Instructor
Nationwide Agent for >
US LawShield > https://www.texaslawshield.com...p.php?promo=ondemand
CCW Safe > www.ccwsafe.com/CCHPI

Posts: 1441 | Location: Denver Area Colorado | Registered: December 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Learn it, know it, live it
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by EasyFire:
You may not need a membership to purchase hearing aids or prescription medicine. State laws May prevent that. Cannot hurt to inquire.

Actually my Costco audiologist told me one reason their hearing aid prices were so low, was because one had to buy a membership to buy them.
Wife and I had a Costco membership years ago and let it expire.
We have no need to buy stuff in bulk anymore, although I understand they sell more than bulk goods.
The only reason we (I) paid for a renewal was to look into hearing aids.
I was told Costco makes more money on the membership and possible prospective future sales than they do selling the hearing aids.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
I appreciate all the replies! Eargo is sending me non-working units to see if they will work with my ears, if they do they will send out working demos to see if they solve my hearing issues.

I hope they do, as they are virtually invisible. Otherwise it is off to Costco for a membership and evaluation. Thanks all!!!!!

If you haven't, you need to get a hearing test and leave there with a print out of it.

The Eargos may not be what you need.
Besides, who wants their ears plugged up solid for 12+ hours a day?

My wife sent me the Eargo website, she wanted me to get in the ear canal aids.
But they aren't what I need.
For one thing, they are so small the battery life is very short.

If you haven't seen a professional audiologist, just for the hearing test, that is the first thing you need to do.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Great State of TEXAS | Registered: July 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

I have tinnitus as well. I also have hearing aids through Costco. I have the ReSound Forte's The app does not have the Tinnitus management feature built in, but there is a separate ReSound App called Relief that works with them and can help train your brain to ignore it.

How do you like those Forte's?
As much as Costco is pushing the Kirlands on me, I wonder if the Forte's are better.

I have not yet begun
to procrastinate
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:

You need the aids tuned to your hearing. That's going to be damn near impossible long distance. It can take a bit to find the right mix of settings depending on what environments you find yourself in.

The other benefits of on-site testing and tweaking is getting the feedback "filtered" (don't know the tech term for it), getting the power up setting as close to what you want rather than having to futz with it and having the doc actually test in your ear if what the device is delivering is what it should be delivering.
This takes sitting next to the computer in the office.
Getting this done by mail would be a miracle. If you get to return them no harm/no foul/no charge it can't hurt to try I guess.
I haven't used Costco. My insurance paid 90% for the excellent hearing aids and service I got from the place 10 minutes from my house.
It might be very much worth the drive for you.

--------
After the game, the King and the pawn go into the same box.

Posts: 3775 | Location: Central AZ | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1lowlife:
If you haven't seen a professional audiologist, just for the hearing test, that is the first thing you need to do.
I went to one of the top-rated ear doc guys in Florida. MD, surgeon, etc. He had his audiologist run the test before the doc spoke with me.

The doc looked over the test results, told me what type hearing aids he would recommend.

I asked whether his office dispensed them.

His answer: "Yes, we do. But don't get them from us. Go to Costco, get the same quality for less than half the cost."

I went to Costco. First thing they did was their own test. The chart from the ear doc and the chart from the Costco audiologist, when laid out side by side, were virtually identical. And the doc was absolutely correct about the comparative costs for same quality hearing aids.

Go to Costco. Get the basic membership. It's around 60 bucks or so, and you'll save a thousand or more on your hearing aids. Buy some bacon while you're there. Kirkland brand thick sliced.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: V-Tail,

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vanwall:
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you also have tinnitus? I do 24/7 plus serious hearing loss. I know aids won't help with the tinns but will they still help with hearing loss

Yes I believe the hearing aids help in dealing with tinnitus. I also believe I have trained myself to ignore the tinnitus except when it is brought up. I'm hearing it now when it came to mind reading the post!

I have it and like you can kind of ignore it but it's there 24/7. The VA gave me Resound hearing aids but I don't like wearing them when I'm talking to people. Sounds like I have my fingers in my ears when I talk

Posts: 13020 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JPD217
posted Hide Post
I've had mine since Feb. they are Starkey Qi i2400 Micro RIC. So far I am really liking them, did not realize how much I was missing simply because I couldn't hear.

I got them thru an audiologist, BCBS covered the exam but not the aids, they were just under $2600 per ear. And then an additional $600 for a Bluetooth interface so I can connect them to my phone. If I would have had an iPhone they would connect directly without the additional piece. Something about Android have so many different versions and Apple having only one.

The tinnitus is still there, but seems less when the hearing aids are in.

I have a Costco about 100 miles away, when I need to replace these I may go that route, though since I had to go in 4 or 5 times to tweak the fitting and the volume, it was kind of nice having the audiologist so close. Still, the amount I would save is likely worth the drive.

Posts: 2585 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: August 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Can you speak up? I'm hard of reading.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31441 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tanner:
I had a colleague get theirs through Costco and he got squared away by them real fine. Obviously, it all depends on your initial evaluation, but check out Costco as one of the options.

This! I had miracle ear aids for several years. Needed service on them which was supposed to be free. Guy running the place would only talk about new ones. (I was my second set). He wanted $11,000 for the new ones.

No way to afford that so we left. On the way home I suggested we stop at Costco. Bought a set of the best ones on the market for less than it would have cost for just one of the miracle ear aids.

Costco now has a "house brand" for (AIR) about $1600 for a set of 2.

My first set of Costco aids got to acting funny so I went back for adjustment. Turns out that there was a problem, not adjustment. Costco replaced them with a brand new set in a couple days, no cost to me. And their support service is really great. At least at our local Costco.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by 95flhr:

I have tinnitus as well. I also have hearing aids through Costco. I have the ReSound Forte's The app does not have the Tinnitus management feature built in, but there is a separate ReSound App called Relief that works with them and can help train your brain to ignore it.

How do you like those Forte's?
As much as Costco is pushing the Kirlands on me, I wonder if the Forte's are better.

They work well for me. One of the bigger reasons I went with them, was at the time the only way the Kirklands worked as Bluetooth headset was with some extra devices. These work well with the iPhone without the extra stuff. I spend a lot of time on the phone during the day and they work well with the phone.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6487 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swani:
For those of you who wear hearing aids, do you also have tinnitus? I do 24/7 plus serious hearing loss. I know aids won't help with the tinns but will they still help with hearing loss

I have tinnitus. Not nearly as bad as it used to be (no idea why) maybe my aids had something to do with it.

I have a remote control for my aids that lets me select which of the 3 channels to use. Each channel has its advantages. I can use the remote to select channel, adjust volume, but can also do it without the remote.

I went to an audiologist before I got this set of aids. His solution was to "Live with it!". Wrong.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25643 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Elk Hunter:
I have tinnitus. Not nearly as bad as it used to be (no idea why) maybe my aids had something to do with it.

I tend to over research all my big purchases, even some of the little ones. Roll Eyes

One thing I did read about tinnitus and hearing aids, was that some times tinnitus can decrease with the use of hearing aids.
The brain can create tinnitus to make up for the lack of frequencies with hearing loss.
Once those lost frequencies are reintroduced back into the brain, with hearing aids, over time many HA users noticed a decrease in tinnitus.
I'm hoping that happens to me over time.

Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
As a new guy to hearing aids, I'm asking experienced users what may be a dumb question.
But I'm good at that.. Eek

My kids (24,27) and I go to concerts sometimes.
Lately its the only time I get to see them with their busy 'in their 20s' lives.
I always bring ear plugs.
At times I use them, e.g. Slipknot, Anthrax, Hell Yeah.
At times I don't e.g. 311, Weezer, The Killers, and a multitude of alternative rock.

We are going to see the Foo Fighters Saturday.
Of course we will be in the pit, as always.

Question is: should I wear my new hearing aids?
Will they help in such a loud environment?
Thinking about wearing them and bringing the case with the ear plugs in the case, just in case... Big Grin

Your thoughts?

Thanks..

posted Hide Post
I have a pair of Signias from HearUSA. I have worn them now for a year. They are also equiped with remote control from my phone. They work really well for me and the service from HearUSA is excellent. I have no problem recommending their product or service, and the cost was reasonable (for hearing aids). I still don't understand the cost of these things compared to other electronic devices.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
As a new guy to hearing aids, I'm asking experienced users what may be a dumb question.

Lately its the only time I get to see them with their busy 'in their 20s' lives.
At times I don't e.g. 311, Weezer, The Killers, and a multitude of alternative rock.

Thinking about wearing them and bringing the case with the ear plugs in the case, just in case... Big Grin

Your thoughts?

Thanks..

If you are new to hearing aids, I think you will find it very uncomfortable. I would Take the ear plugs along.

Posts: 921 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lowlife
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Your thoughts?

Thanks..

If you are new to hearing aids, I think you will find it very uncomfortable. I would Take the ear plugs along.

Thank you Vanwall..

Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Your thoughts?

Thanks..

This! Or as an alternative, you can just take the aids out. But as I understand it, the majority of hearing loss is for the higher frequency levels. So taking out your aids may do nothing to limit the low frequency noise.

Elk

-Thomas Jefferson

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter