SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ben Shapiro Interviews Dave Rubin
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ben Shapiro Interviews Dave Rubin Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted
Very good interview. Good insights into the current and possible future state of free speech and open discussion. My appreciation for Rubin has steadily grown over the last year or so that I've been aware of him. If there really is a movement that will have a lasting positive impact on our ability to have honest, in-depth debates on important topics, I think Rubin will be seen as having been a key player in fostering that.

Props to Shaprio, too, for making common cause with people he disagrees with on many topics, but stands shoulder to shoulder with when it comes to free speech and intellectual honesty.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iGJx4qyc7mM

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Rubin left the matrix via his exposure to TYT.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Dave Rubin was the host of Jordan Peterson for the book tour event we saw a live last Thursday evening. Interesting guy/convert.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:

Who or what is that? Saw an interview of Larry Elder that Rubin did in 2016; at that point he seemed very naive, spouting leftist talking points--which Elder refuted handily.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

Who or what is that? Saw an interview of Larry Elder that Rubin did in 2016; at that point he seemed very naive, spouting leftist talking points--which Elder refuted handily.

TYT is The Young Turks - a hard left youtube new/commentary outfit where Rubin used to work.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hiVQ8vrGA_8

That interview with Elder was a big factor in him re-evaluating why he believed what he believed.

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phPXTWJhnYM

Edit to Add: I don't think Rubin's intellect is equal to many of the people he interviews, but his values seem to be, and he's eager to give them a platform.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Thanks, rusbro. My wife said she could see that Rubin was changing his mind in the course of the interview with Larry Elder.
A more recent (but still late 2017) interview with Candace Owen showed a much more "convicted" Dave Rubin. I think he's grown a lot.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
If the IDW does ultimately have some sort of historical impact, I think we have Elder to thank for how he is unwilling to let Rubin off the hook at around 5:10. He sets the hook again, and keeps cranking. Would be cool if those few seconds are critical to what's in store down the road.

goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Elder (paraphrasing):
I asked for an example of racism in America. You gave me an example, I proved it was bullshit. What else you got?

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:

The way I heard him tell it, He was a host on The Young Turks. He said that the intellectually conservative guests would be interviewed my Cenk et al and their arguments made more sense than Cenk's emotive dismissive rebuttals. That is what started him down the road and got him flushed out of the TYT Matrix pod. He has taken the red pill because he was intellectually honest enough to examine the side he had chosen.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29607 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
Live stream with Larry Elder about to start (3PM CST)

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e32duDpXRyI

Fourth line skater
Picture of goose5
posted Hide Post
I just heard that today via podcast. Good discussion.

Posts: 7506 | Location: Pueblo, CO | Registered: July 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post