SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First You Win the Debate
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First You Win the Debate Login/Join 
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted
Townhall.com
Gil Gutknecht
May 13, 2018

The barking and braying of the barnyard baboons in the elite media will continue until they are Trumped again. Exactly how and why they seem to be surprised by a President who is doing precisely what he promised to do remains a curiosity to me. They are shocked that this brute in the White House would actually pull out of the clever deal that the very smart and urbane Obama team carefully crafted with the Mullahs in Iran. Perhaps confronting the reality that the final threads of the Obama legacy are unraveling is just too much for them. It is a big pill to swallow after all.

Even the once great Wall Street Journal clucked its warning, “The move threatens to widen the gulf between the U.S. and its allies in the Middle East and Tehran and its backers.” It is left for us to ask ask, what gulf? With which Middle Eastern allies? At last check, virtually every country that matters in that part of the world fully supports the President’s move. Do they somehow believe that the Israeli intelligence just made all that stuff up? Are we to simply pretend that the Mullahs are not the chief proponents of radical Islam and the largest state sponsor of terrorism? Maybe if we pretend hard enough, it might actually be true.

History teaches the painful lessons of substituting realism with wishful thinking in matters of statecraft. That lesson seems so easily lost among our friends on the Left.

President Trump wisely concluded his remarks with a reach-out to the Iranian people. He knows that millions of younger Iranians want to break free of the Mullah’s shackles. Eventually they will. The President’s remarks of encouragement were not lost on them. They know that the Iranian Caliphate is destined for the ash heap of history. The fissures are visible. Now they know that this American President is on their side.

But on the greater question of the unraveling of the entire Obama legacy another important lesson of history is being lost. The former president may be able to build a large presidential library. It may be unusual in it shape and form. But, it will be largely empty of any meaningful accomplishments. Devoid of any legacy. The lesson was laid out simply and clearly by the Iron Lady, Maggie Thatcher. It is, “first you win the debate, then you win the vote.” Whether it was healthcare or foreign policy, President Obama never won the debate. He seemed to think that saying something important was superior to doing important things. Lofty words at the United Nations or the Nobel awards ceremony would suffice. Doing the hard work of making his case to the American people was somehow beneath him. He never really won the debate on ObamaCare. He helped orchestrate the cornhusker kickback and other acts of legislative legerdemain to get it passed. But, the general public remained skeptical. And so, the lofty words are simply washed away.

Citizen Trump wasn’t the only one who was embarrassed as we saw pallets of cash flown secretly to the Iranian regime. All while they orchestrated Death to America demonstrations. We all saw it. The pretense that they were really trustworthy and that they only were spinning those centrifuges for peaceful purposes was laughable. Their neighbors knew it. The Obama team knew that they could never sell this deal to middle America much less a skeptical Congress. They didn’t even try to win the debate. So they didn’t call it a treaty, it was an agreement, a deal. It was a green light special with too much junk in the trunk. President Trump just said no thanks. Most Americans agree.

The angry Left can’t come to grips with the rising approval of this president. Perhaps that is good. This president may not have a law degree from Harvard. He will never be a favorite of the urbane Georgetown set. But, he understands human nature. He instinctively knows that things that last are not built of lofty words. They are built with hard work and steel and concrete. I hope he never loses that bulldog tenacity. And the instinctive knowledge that first you win the debate.

Link

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
That's a good article. He's right. Stampy Feet could never make the case so he imposed the policy. I don't think that is because Prince Pouty Gob didn't have the skill to make the case. It is because the case he needed to make was based in false principle and even passively engaged people knew it instinctively. Whenever one tries to square false principle with reality, he must prevent debate and impose the action. There's no other way to do it. That describes the Pissy Pants administration to a T.

Interestingly, Pissy Pants publicly proclaimed he couldn't be so dictatorial while doing exactly that as if we were not watching. Leftists do this kind of thing continually. I don't know what to call it, but they'll deny a behavior while using the definition of the behavior to fortify the denial. "I'm not eating! I'm merely putting food in my mouth, chewing it up and swallowing it...." Right minded people stand there, heads tilted with a puzzled look at how boldly Leftists can make such assertions. It's like arguing with a 4 year old.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29695 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Whether it was healthcare or foreign policy, President Obama never won the debate. He seemed to think that saying something important was superior to doing important things.

Hell, he called that "leadership", and then never quite figured out why he never really got anything done.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Il Cattivo:
quote:
Whether it was healthcare or foreign policy, President Obama never won the debate. He seemed to think that saying something important was superior to doing important things.

Hell, he called that "leadership", and then never quite figured out why he never really got anything done.

If your goal is to fundamentally transform America, there is no point in worrying whether anyone wants that.

Remember Snuffy Smith comics? There was one where Loweezy is whanging the tar out of Snuffy with a frying pan hollering, “I’m gonna make a better man outa you whether you like it or not!”

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do we get the 150 Billion $ back; Minus obamas cut of course ?

NRA Life Endowment member
Tri-State Gun collectors Life Member

Posts: 2794 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post