SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    CNY bowler sets world record by rolling 300 game in 86.9 seconds: Video
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

CNY bowler sets world record by rolling 300 game in 86.9 seconds: Video Login/Join 
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted

http://www.syracuse.com/bowlin...astest_300_game.html

CNY bowler sets world record by rolling 300 game in 86.9 seconds

Syracuse, N.Y. -- How fast can a bowler roll 12 consecutive strikes and achieve a perfect game?

For Ben Ketola, the answer is 86.9 seconds.

Ketola, of Preble, is believed to have recorded the world's fastest 300 game at the 10-lane 281 Bowl in Cortland on April 5 by rolling 12 strikes in 1 minute, 26.9 seconds. The 23-year-old two-handed bowler raced from one lane to the next and registered strikes using a different ball on each lane -- striking twice on lanes 1 and 2 -- to score 12 in a row for a perfect game in approximately the same time it takes to microwave a bag of popcorn.

"It was fun to do. I honestly wasn't expecting to do it," said Ketola, a 225-average bowler who works and bowls at 281 Bowl. "I just wanted to see how quickly I could get across the house and get strikes."

While there is no official speed category in the official United States Bowling Congress' record books, Ketola wanted to attempt the unusual feat after watching a 2015 YouTube video posted by pro bowler Tom Dougherty. In the video, Dougherty fired 12 strikes over 12 lanes for what was billed at the time the world's fastest 300 game in 1 minute, 50.99 seconds.

"One day while I was practicing I decided I wanted to give it a try and see if I could do it," said Ketola, who bowls at least 50 games a week between league bowling and practice.

Ketola tried three times April 1 but his best effort was seven in a row and 11 out of 12 strikes in 1:35. Then after the Wednesday night ladies league wrapped up April 5, Ketola's co-worker John Bishop challenged Ketola to try for the record again after their shift was over and this time he would videotape it on his cell phone.

"I got seven in a row on my first attempt then broke off," Ketola said. "After I caught my breath I said let's go again. I wanted to see how fast I could do it."

Ketola didn't see most of his strikes as he was too busy sprinting to the next lane to throw his next shot. An out-of-breath Ketola celebrated his milestone with Bishop just before midnight. He used eight of his own Storm and Roto Grip balls and two alley balls in setting his speed mark.

"I saw it as a challenge," Ketola said. "Next time I may set up all spares on the lanes and see how fast I can make those."

Link to original video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQnphc6qeNs

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
That's pretty amazing, but can he throw 12 gutter balls in a row? I can Big Grin

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4923 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
I have to admit, I was pretty impressed with that.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
That is really something!!!

I was into bowling several years ago and never could get very good at it.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Pretty impressive.

When I read the title I was thinking how can you do that. It would take more time then that for the pins to reset every time. Then I see he used all the lanes. Nice job.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16378 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Yes it was.

But if we want to be "that guy" Wink, it's probably a lot easier than bowling a 300 in a league with other people and the delays, breaks in rhythm and changing lane conditions. Pretty cool none the less.

You see lots of stuff like this from the guys who spend all their time at the lanes. When I was a kid there was a young guy who worked at the alley and he'd take a ball in the crook of his right arm, fling it so high it would brush the ceiling tiles, land literally half way down the alley, hit and go in for a strike more often than not. Though I know the people who owned the place weren't too thrilled with the trick. Big Grin

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
Question to the bowlers -

Does he get 'official' credit for the 300 game since they were not rolled on the same lane?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
No. Nor was it in a sanctioned league. So it's not "official".

Posts: 21052 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
What's with that two-handed delivery?

Is this something new?

Posts: 2927 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This guy was the man back in the day. Love the narration and certified letter.

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

Is this something new?

Not really, but becoming more common. It allows them to put tons of rotation on the ball. Lots of "revs" means lots of pin action.

The old video is great. Smile Bowling is "simple now" compared to back then, technology made it a lot easier. So much so they've invented ways to make it harder with using a bunch of different oil patterns, adding variation. (more a thing for the "pros" though than average bowlers)

Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
Really strange looking throw, but it seems to work for him. Cool

Posts: 7244 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:

Is this something new?

That's what popped into my head as well. Never heard of such a thing but it sure works for this guy!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ripley
posted Hide Post
Different balls, different lanes, wow.

Set the controls for the heart of the Sun.

Posts: 8310 | Location: Flown-over country | Registered: December 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
That was impressive!

I used to love bowling. Got into it back in the service in CNY. We used to go several times a week. I once rolled nine strikes in a row...and then choked and spared out. Still the best game I ever rolled. My best average was in the 180s and had quite a few 600 series'.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
High standards,
low expectations
Picture of Surefire
posted Hide Post
Could have saved a bunch of time throwing twice on lane 9 & 10...... Big Grin

The reward for hard work, is more hard work arcwelder76, 2013

Posts: 5252 | Location: Edmonton AB, Canada | Registered: July 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Guy throws a different ball on a different lane (except for lane 1 and 2 on the first, second, eleventh and twelfth frames), with no "stance" or "approach" time, and still pulls off a 300.

That's some awesome stuff right there.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Surefire:
Could have saved a bunch of time throwing twice on lane 9 & 10...... Big Grin

That was what I was thinking, run only as far as the next set up lane and work backwards from there.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37931 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pbramlett
posted Hide Post
I don't roll on Shabbos.

Regards,

P.

Posts: 1287 | Location: Alabama | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
that's a wicked hook at the few feet...

Posts: 3848 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post