SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Speaking of Millennials - White Water Rafting Trip Safety Lecture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speaking of Millennials - White Water Rafting Trip Safety Lecture Login/Join 
Banned
posted
I took my wife and 5 year old on a rafting trip recently. On the bus ride to launch, one of the guides gives the typical safety lecture.

He was saying if you get tossed from the boat, the guide will want to make sure your are OK. He'll give a hand signal - you return the hand signal if you are OK.

He then says he need to qualify what 'OK' means, for the millennials on the trip.

You are still OK if:

You are not having a good time
You are cold
You want to go home
You do not like your guide

This was all in jest, and funny, but sadly there is some truth to it.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
IOW, if you don't require medical attention, you're okay and just STFU. Smile

Can't imagine what they went through to even have to raise this, even in jest.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12719 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
But what if you get water up your nose. That can be really uncomfortable

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
Like, I want a refund for you tossing me out of the boat. That is unacceptable.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Which company was this? I rafted out of Estes Park with Rapid Transit last summer and had a blast. They gave a similar speech.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 813 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Man, life as a kid was tough.

No matter what happened, if someone wasn't shoveling dirt on you and saying Kaddish, you were "OK".

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43879 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Plus, you could get infected with a brain eating amoeba.

(Cue 5 or 6 different types of jokes about millennials and brain eating amoebas.)

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

Plus, you could get infected with a brain eating amoeba.

(Cue 5 or 6 different types of jokes about millennials and brain eating amoebas.)

That wouldn't be an issue, they don't have any brains!

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post

Big Grin

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:

Big Grin
Got it wrong--95% of those phones would be in vertical orientation....

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
IOW, if you don't require medical attention, you're okay and just STFU. Smile

As the father of six kids, I always said if you're not bleeding, you're fine.
No blood, no foul.
My wife has always agreed with this, and sometimes thought I was a little soft when our kids were young. Of course, she is the sixth out of eight. 5 brothers and 2 sisters (and a couple of her brothers are still scared of her!!).

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:

Got it wrong--95% of those phones would be in vertical orientation....

flashguy

I think you get the point Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12630 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post