SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Lawyer apologizes for falsely accusing Texas state trooper of rape
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lawyer apologizes for falsely accusing Texas state trooper of rape Login/Join 
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Mr. Merritt is quite full of himself, isn't he.

Posts: 15844 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
No telling what really happened with the lawyer.

There isn’t one of us who has not had the experience of finding out that a client’s story turned out to be wishful thinking in one or more respects. “Trust but verify” is a useful maxim.

+1

Posts: 5706 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wish the Trooper would file a law suit against the lying woman for falsely filing a report and impugning his trustfulness and honesty. She needs to be made a example of to others who pull this kind of BS. Maybe this will stop if the money is high enough. This will follow him in his career and he doesn't deserve it!

Officers lives matter!

Posts: 3265 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: February 12, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
I wish the Trooper would file a law suit against the lying woman for falsely filing a report and impugning his trustfulness and honesty. She needs to be made a example of to others who pull this kind of BS. Maybe this will stop if the money is high enough. This will follow him in his career and he doesn't deserve it!

Absolutely!

She needs to be sued, same with the "Activist" asshole. Both spreading lies and libeling an innocent man.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
Every one can draw there own conclusions about the officers conduct here. Personally I don't like it.

I am betting that his PC had a cage. But if not. He certainly could of plucked her in the back seat and
hitched her so she was going no where. My guess is he would of done that with just about any one else.

That's all. Hopefully he gets a bit of advice from the sergeant.

As far as these other idiots involved are concerned it is not a surprise.

How Many years of Police experience do You have?

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Shaun King...otherwise known as "Talcum X" Roll Eyes

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4330 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Ha Ha. "Talcum X".
I will remember that one. Smile
From the first I heard of this guy Shaun King, I knew he was a fraud.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine being an LEO in America today without the protection of a bodycam.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As for the bottom feeding Mr. Merritt:
Duped by your lying client? Bullshit!
And even if he was duped, the situation was made expontenially worse.... When he spouted off about it in the media.
My guess is he was grandstanding in hope of attracting more business.
Sleazy.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Graniteguy:
I can't imagine being an LEO in America today without the protection of a bodycam.

Even with the protection of a bodycam, we're still damned.

Stop a car, person refuses to cooperate and you end up arresting them, using force, injuring them, etc., and they get internet/media support and make a big deal of their plight...I fully expect to have all charges dismissed and for me to get in trouble.

Have to shoot someone in what would otherwise be a clear-cut incident? Same thing. Hell, my agency recently had an ambush where one officer was shot and several others returned fire. All recorded by video. And the dead guy was a murder suspect.

It took them FOUR MONTHS to be cleared by the DA and to return to work.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11446 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
quote:
civil rights activist Shaun King wrote on Facebook and Twitter, “This woman was kidnapped and raped by a Texas State Trooper.”

Can he be sued for libel now?

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Double hyphens = triple the power.

I'd like to see some guy do this kind of thing. Legally change your name to Johnson-Very-Biggus.

LOL good thing my IPad has a protected case it just got coffee spit on it...... Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Patrick-SP2022:
quote:
Originally posted by lkdr1989:

Ha Ha. "Talcum X".
I will remember that one. Smile
From the first I heard of this guy Shaun King, I knew he was a fraud.

Say what?

He's about as black as Rachel Dolezal! Big Grin

Posts: 13047 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:

How much money do you think he could collect from her should he win this lawsuit?

Lawsuits aren't free. Suing broke people for damages doesn't make sense.

A suit against the lawyer wouldn't trigger his malpractice carrier's coverage. The cop isn't his client, so he didn't commit malpractice with respect to the cop. No coverage. And despite everyone's belief that lawyers are wealthy, most aren't. He may not have much in the way of assets to collect should one win a judgment against him either. And, in Texas, you can't garnish wages or income (and he is self employed anyway), to satisfy a civil judgment. Again, it may not be a suit that makes economic sense.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shaman
Picture of ScreamingCockatoo
posted Hide Post
So basically someone can fuck up your life and reputation without recourse.

He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster.

Posts: 39716 | Location: Atop the cockatoo tree | Registered: July 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Cool. Disbar him. Oh, wait. That’s not going to happen.

Yep, crush someone’s reputation and nothing will happen.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37084 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I would encourage any officer who is falsely accused to stand up and get an attorney after IAB is done.

I sued a DUI passenger who accused me of assaulting him physically and verbally while he was handcuffed (obstructing). I had tape recorded everything from beginning to end. The PD where I took him for processing video taped everything from beginning to end. When he was released, he called the PD and threatened to kill me with his 30.06, claiming he knew where I lived. The PD recorded all incoming calls. The PD called me and I called my IAB to report the incident and threats. I was cleared with all of the video and audio evidence.

The guy pleaded guilty to obstructing and phone threats. I contacted a well known defense attorney. He agreed to take my case pro bono since he had experienced the same thing as a former officer. I sued the guy for $10,000. He hired an attorney who offered me a $300 motorcycle to drop the case. My attorney said no. His attorney said his client had no money. My attorney said then how is he paying you? His attorney said his family has resources. My attorney suggested the guy get money from his family then or since he has a job so we'll take everything he owns AND his a % of his income, tax refunds, inheritances, whatever...for the rest of his miserable life. We settled a few weeks later. No one else on my agency had ever sued for damages. One of the most satisfying experiences of my career.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
^ ^ ^ ^ Excellent! This (or criminal charges) needs to happen every single time to these lying twatwaffles.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15471 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
"I hereby offer free legal service to that trooper if he wants to bankrupt you."

Oh, and Talcum X has already tried to "reach out" Roll Eyes to the officer.

Were I that officer, Talc, baby, I'd tell you to go fuck yourself, little man. And yes, while I am not by nature a litigious person, I'd sue the shit out of you, you rabble-rousing fraud.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post