SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Taking a step back from the news machine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taking a step back from the news machine Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
Last summer we sold our small ranch in Napa and moved across the country in search of some liberty. We love it here in western North Carolina, which confirmed the years of planning it took to get here.

But amongst the chaos of a major cross country move, remodeling a new place and an unscheduled heart attack, I looked up to realize I hadn’t been tethered to the morphine drip of the daily news cycle. So when we finally got around to getting the cable hooked up on October, I was suddenly inundated with the sounds and controversy of the partisan spin doctors strutting around with their meaningless press credentials. I had an immediate physical reaction that put a queasy feeling In the pit of my stomach, like I had just received a death notification. I turned it off and have not watched it since. I will always stay up to date, but I will do it on my time, on my terms.

Akin to Para’s post on politics, I am done with the insanity of “the news” and it’s constant “scab picking” attention vacuum. And that goes for the news outlets with issues I actually believe in. No more.

Instead, I am focused on me; my health, my relationships with my family, friends, God. I want to be a good neighbor and friend, I want to be more giving and less consuming.

The inadvertent break from the media gave me some perspective and showed me how much of my life I gave up to all that noise.

Yep, that was it.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The wife and I aren't making quite that far of a move, but we are doing about the same. Turning off the "news", exercising more, eating healthier. Not watching pod casts, enjoying being retired.

Posts: 3591 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
Greetings Nick, and welcome to Western NC, we gave up national news TV when we moved here and don't miss it one bit. We have Roku and Prime along with internet access.

We love western NC, small town life really agrees with us1

Posts: 3850 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
When it was inevitable that Trump was not going to get a consecutive term given the Supreme Court, I quit participating in political threads outside of Sigforum. There's no point.

I have nothing in ideas that need defending. I'm not going to feed trolls. I have nothing to say to anti-Trump people who are giving Trump free residence in their spacious heads.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
As me to the list. For the past 8+ years I would listen to the news on the drive to work, listen to political commentary show on the drive home, and get several “breaking story” news alerts throughout the day.

After the election, I did away with news and opinion on the commute. Killed the Fox alert notifications, but still checked in on Newsmax once or twice a day.

Started to extract as much as I can from FB and moved to MeWe. Now, it is just SF and a few MeWe groups. I listen to nothing but music when I drive and just bought a decent stereo for the house to better enjoy music there as well.

Hopefully things won’t go to total shit before I can retire and move to a better place as well.

I’ll have to look into western NC, might add it to the list of potential retirement destinations.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10928 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I watch or listen to no "news" at all, anymore. What news I get, I get from here or whatever floats across my Gab feed.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
I am glad that I don't watch news, aside from local news at 0530. Even that is losing its value. Weather by apps like Dark Sky are superior for the day forecast, but I still need the long range for my exercise planning.

Anyway, the news is filled with people who think they can lead a people-group to a new reality, based on their appearance, sincerity, and beliefs. I know of one news personality that might share my conservative ideals, but she hasn't been to my church in a long time. Another radio personality is fast becoming a thorn in the side of his employer, and I doubt he will be long on the air. He could replace Rush, with his sincerely held conservative beliefs and intellectual acumen.

But, it all makes me feel badly. So I don't listen. I just enjoy watching history and old entertainment shows on YouTube, and focusing on my hobbies and family.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5050 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
Nick you very eloquently said what both my wife and I realized last summer when we were traveling to Alaska. The world will go on just fine without us getting all worked up by the idiots on TV sensationalizing every little bit of pseudo news.

Out collective blood pressure dropped several points as a result and I couldn’t be happier.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6311 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My dog crosses the line
Picture of Jeff Yarchin
posted Hide Post
Greetings, from Boone.

Posts: 12917 | Registered: June 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
We quit watching national news way back when Brian Williams was relating his made up war correspondence history.

We stopped local news about 3 weeks into the 1st Coof lockdowns. We had DVR'd the local 10pm show for about a decade and we'd wind up watching maybe 30% of them maximum. After the lockdown, the local newscasts became like a psychiatrists' couch video about how someone (some random single entity) feels. With no sports, these sessions would take up 15-20 minutes of a 30 minute newscast. I made it about 3 weeks before I stopped recording and watching. After that, nothing but SigForum.

About 6 weeks ago I made a custom recording every night, four minutes long, when the weather is usually on. It usually works pretty good at catching just the weather only. It shows up in my recordings as 'Just F'n Weather'.

Posts: 7249 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I cannot remember the last time I watched a news broadcast. I haven’t watched Fox in perhaps 6 or 8 months.

I get my news from SigForum and Gab. Subscribed to Epoch Times and get updates during the day. I skim most, read few.

Posts: 53165 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSgt USMC/Vet
posted Hide Post
What news I get comes from this forum, Blaze, OAN or Newsmax. I will not watch network news.

I do miss the ladies on Outnumbered Winkon Fox.

Posts: 1953 | Location: Northern Virginia/Buggs Island, Boydton Va. | Registered: July 13, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
About 6 weeks ago I made a custom recording every night, four minutes long, when the weather is usually on. It usually works pretty good at catching just the weather only. It shows up in my recordings as 'Just F'n Weather'.

Surprised no one mentioned it earlier.
I've stopped watching the weather, really weather related advertising in the last year.
Even that has become contaminated and is mostly glitzy graphics with advertising around the edges.

Posts: 9493 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Nick I walked away about 6 weeks ago. Not even local news now. I can't imagine anything so earth shaking locally that I would miss it anyways. And I get my weather "fix" via smartphone or net site.

Begone you media devils! Be gone!

Sigforum serves as my reality anchor. Thanks para!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bald1, can you contact me?
I have tried email to you and no luck?
I would like to settle up with you, been to long!
Jim

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've said the same thing several times lately. I don't watch the news outside of the weather. I just said no to it all. I really do feel better and am getting a lot of stuff done around the farm. So there is that.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5035 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cjevans
posted Hide Post
Hey Nick, these days, I too, have a different focus - family, community, church and the community.
The 6 0'clock news is more like a horror movie, full of personal opinions and carefully scripted wordings.
And malvertising courtesy of marketeers..

--chris

quote:
Originally posted by bald1:

Sigforum serves as my reality anchor. Thanks para!

Indeed, THE island of reality ...

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." ~ Benjamin Franklin.

"If anyone in this country doesn't minimise their tax, they want their head read, because as a government, you are not spending it that well, that we should be donating extra...:
Kerry Packer

SIGForum: the island of reality in an ocean of diarrhoea.

Posts: 1886 | Location: Altona Beach | Registered: February 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 220-9er:
quote:

Surprised no one mentioned it earlier.
I've stopped watching the weather, really weather related advertising in the last year.
Even that has become contaminated and is mostly glitzy graphics with advertising around the edges.

My morning ritual over the past few months was to watch the Weather Channel while drinking my coffee / breakfast..no politics...

Until this morning, they were featuring Biden's Rejoining the Paris accord, ANWR oil halt, etc.

Click. They never featured Trump thst I can remember. So I went up one channel to the other national weather channel.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
I'm done too and I've been a political junkie since Bush-Gore recount and voted every election since Nixon.

One of the best things I've found, thanks to this forum, is the Libby library app for audio books. That puts me to sleep now. Smile

Posts: 4693 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by walkinghorse:
Bald1, can you contact me?
I have tried email to you and no luck?

Email sent Jim.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post