SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truths ... lessons learned that should be shared -
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truths ... lessons learned that should be shared - Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I didn't open this thread yesterday, because I though it was just some kind of joke, and that's because of the vague and ambiguous subject line.

So, what do you figure, guys? How many more times will I have to say this before it sinks in? Five thousand times?

Clear subject lines. Clear and unambiguous subject lines. Tell members what your thread is about BEFORE they open it. BEFORE they open it.

Clarity over cleverness, please. First and foremost, be clear. If you can be clever while first being clear, more power to you, but first and foremost, be CLEAR.

I didn't open this thread yesterday, because I though it was just some kind of joke, and that's because of the vague and ambiguous subject line.

So, what do you figure, guys? How many more times will I have to say this before it sinks in? Five thousand times?

Clear subject lines. Clear and unambiguous subject lines. Tell members what your thread is about BEFORE they open it. BEFORE they open it.

Clarity over cleverness, please. First and foremost, be clear. If you can be clever while first being clear, more power to you, but first and foremost, be CLEAR.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54500 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
All you really have is what you can take and what you can defend.

The rest is more or less illusion.

Posts: 7486 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
You only have integrity once.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12348 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The older you get, the faster time goes...

Posts: 132 | Location: PA | Registered: December 13, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
"No matter where you go, there you are."

And that has to be the most coherent post I've ever seen from bendable.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16176 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
High expectations brings disappointment while low ones can only bring pleasant surprises, and finding out you were wrong by having things go well puts you in a far better mood.

Posts: 6955 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P210:
High expectations brings disappointment while low ones can only bring pleasant surprises, and finding out you were wrong by having things go well puts you in a far better mood.

An outlook I subscribe to.

I word it somewhat differently, but the point is the same:

"Pessimism is the only logical approach. If things turn to shit, it's no more than you expected. If things go well, it's a pleasant surprise."

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15180 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoot gun,
get check
Picture of Scoobaru
posted Hide Post
You can’t put logic to crazy.

Posts: 609 | Location: The pointy part of Nevada | Registered: March 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Underpromise & overdeliver...

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
The customer may not always be right. But the customer is ALWAYS the customer.

A satisfied customer tells a friend. A dissatisfied customer tells TEN friends.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RGRacing
posted Hide Post
You get really smart, then you die

Posts: 493 | Location: Mpls, MN | Registered: January 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2.

Posts: 4273 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
You only have one chance to make a good first impression.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
If your horse doesn't want to go there, neither do you.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
"Eventually you'll have to actually talk to your wife so pick one with a brain as well as looks."
My Grandpa.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never let your mouth overload your ass.

and, when learning something,

Take the cotton out of your ears and put it in your mouth.

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc H.:
If your horse doesn't want to go there, neither do you.

Huh, I always thought I came up with that

Posts: 13164 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
non ducor, duco
Picture of Nickelsig229
posted Hide Post
The Truth Hurts

You can Never go back

First In Last Out

Posts: 4787 | Location: CT | Registered: October 15, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

All else being equal, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Life doesn't always go as planned, but it does go.

Don't sweat the petty stuff and don't pet the sweaty stuff.

Time with your kids is brief, make the most of it.

Posts: 11352 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 10-7 leo
posted Hide Post
My dogs have been good judges of character.

Sic Semper Tyrannis
If you beat your swords into plowshares, you will become farmers for those who didn't!
Political Correctness is fascism pretending to be Manners-George Carlin

Posts: 2038 | Location: Central FL | Registered: September 03, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post