SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Truths ... lessons learned that should be shared -
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Truths ... lessons learned that should be shared - Login/Join 
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
Show up every day.
Work hard & behave.
The harder I work, the luckier I get.
What's down in the well comes up in the bucket.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5473 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To paraphrase Mark Twain, it's better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot than open it and remove all doubt.

Jim

Posts: 1338 | Location: Northern Michigan | Registered: September 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
Someone's old signature line on SigForum, but stuck with me because it is indisputably both true and important:

"You will not rise to the occasion. You will default to your level of training."

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A large job is just a series of smaller jobs put together.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: March 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You put dollars in the bank, not percents. (Remember this when you own a business)

____

I'm filled with gratitude for the blessings I've received.

Posts: 707 | Location: So Cal | Registered: September 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JoseyWales2
posted Hide Post
Reality and the laws of physics will win every single time.

----------------------------------
"These things you say we will have, we already have."
"That's true. I ain't promising you nothing extra."

Posts: 576 | Location: Missouri | Registered: October 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Short. Fat. Bald.
Costanzaesque.

Picture of TexasScrub
posted Hide Post
If you step in it and it looks like dog poop, there is absolutely no reason to smell your shoe, since it was indeed dog poop.

Posts: 1979 | Location: Victoria, TX | Registered: February 11, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Never get involved in a land war in Asia.

Never go against a Sicilian when death is on the line.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1947 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you see a shop teacher with short fingers ask him how it happened. His lessons might save yours.

And along similar lines -

I try to learn from other people’s mistakes - so I don’t have to make them all myself.

Posts: 2130 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
The good news is, all bleeding eventually stops.

The bad news is, all bleeding eventually stops.

Posts: 5720 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
If you can't explain something to someone in simple terms you don't understand it well enough.

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
Speak clearly, carefully, and politely... even in those times when you'd rather sound like one of Samuel L. Jackson's characters. Wink

God bless America.

Posts: 13425 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Every man (and woman) is a hero in his own mind.

When my kids say "that's not fair!," I respond that the fair is a place they judge pigs. This is life.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Two of the easiest things in life to waste:

...other people’s time, and

...other people’s money.

This should be carved into the seats in Congress and in every desk in every administrative agency - state, local and federal.

Posts: 541 | Registered: April 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Trust your gut feeling if a choice has to be made and you are not totally sure which way to go. The safe choice is not always the right one.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcrimm
posted Hide Post
If you want loyalty.....buy a dog.

You want it good, fast and cheap? Pick 2.

Mike

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham

Posts: 4214 | Location: Saddlebrooke, Arizona | Registered: December 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
No one wins in a head-butt.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30297 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Something wild
is loose
Picture of Doc H.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
The good news is, all bleeding eventually stops.

The bad news is, all bleeding eventually stops.

And the other three things I learned in surgery in addition:

1. Bleeding always stops (as noted).
2. Oxygen is good, germs is bad.
3. If you can see through it, you can cut it.
4. Fall backwards.

"And gentlemen in England now abed, shall think themselves accursed they were not here, and hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks that fought with us upon Saint Crispin's Day"

Posts: 2746 | Location: The Shire | Registered: October 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don't learn anything the second time you get kicked by a horse.

Posts: 140 | Location: Midland, TX | Registered: December 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never stand up in a canoe.
If the enemy is in range, so are you.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post